If Rousey believes she can beat Floyd, why doesn't she fight Cyborg at 140 catch wt?

She's a known cheat, likes to fight fighters smaller than herself and has had ample opportunities to make the fight happen. What does she do?? Hire Tito to negotiate with Zuffa and say she'd die if she tried to make 135.

Cyborg was pulled out of her Zuffa contract and signed with Invicta:

not because Ronda Rousey refused to fight her
not because the UFC wouldn't make the fight

but because of money and leverage. Tito Oritz decided that at that time (2013) with Cyborg coming off of a PED suspension he didn't have the proper leverage to get either a big money deal or concessions from the UFC about the fight weight. He thought that having Cyborg go to Invicta for a year or two would put a belt on Cyborg, have the UFC view the situation as a "Champion vs Champion superfight" scenario and that the two fighters would then be viewed by the UFC on a more equal plane. He never expected the surge in popularity of Ronda Rousey, thought UFC fans would quickly tire of her winning so easily, thought that female fighting in the UFC would be on the ropes, and thought the UFC would come crawling back to him and Cyborg to save it - or at least get one big payday out of it.

Tito:
I wanted to get it down, I tried to negotiate with Dana and make the fight happen in a four-fight deal with the UFC. They thought about it, they came back two days later and came back and said no, they want to do an eight-fight deal. There really wasn't no direction. Either way, we tried to make the (Rousey) fight happen and let Cris control her own fate. The UFC said we will sign her and see what happens. Who can accept that? Plus, he wasn't offering her what she really deserved as the other half of the super fight. As we control her fate, she wins the (Invicta) belt; she has a stronger reorganization for what her value is. Why shouldn't she benefit like Ronda in the UFC and from the fight? I think going to Invicta is the only way to make it happen. The UFC is only giving her one weight to make and that's 135, when she's been fighting at 145 for her entire career.

When Cris came to me. She said, ‘Tito, I'm a world champion. I have a leather belt around my waist with a gold medallion on it. I have nothing else. That's all I have. I'm sick of being poor. I am a world champion.' Word champions are supposed to be millionaires. World champions are supposed to put their lives on the line for millions of dollars that the promotions are making.

In the meanwhile, the UFC even found a way to make whatever money there is to make off of Cyborg's fights without even putting her in the UFC - they acquired the broadcast rights to Invicta so anybody that wants to see Cyborg fight has to pay for UFC Fight Pass.

Helluva job Tito.

Last edited:
It's because she knows the fighter vs Mayweather has no chance of ever happening. Mayweather requires too much money to talk into a fight. He probably would want 100 million dollars to fight. He got 200 mil in his last fight and he probably requires around 80-100 mil for it to be worth his time. She knows she can talk all the crap she wants because the fight would never happen. Unfortunately for her and the UFC, Cyborg at 140 is reasonable and possible so she has to be adamant that the fight take place at 135 to scare Cyborgs peeps away.

why is fighting at 135 so scary for cyborg peeps?

Way to address the points, mr butt hurt. If you have a view of the business side of this then, please, speak to it. You've certainly done nothing but sound like a schoolyard ragamuffin shouting for a fight.

All cyborg needs to do is make weight and fight. Everyone's agreed to it, afaik, except her.

haha... "address the points,"View on the business side of this," lol, really?

This thread wasn't created to discuss leverage, positioning or any strategy to maximize ones ROI regarding the organization or the fighter's independent financial opportunities. Nor would I waste a lick explaining the "Business side."

Why?

Because I could careless wasting effortless time engaging in talking points on a public forum about business of all things, BUSINESS... lol.. come on guy, what experience do you have in real business? You have none. If I ask you to design a high level financial analysis model you'd present an autographed photo of Ronda Rousey. lol

FYI, I'm not arguing making weight, I'd like to see Cyborg make the weight, I want to see the fight happen. I don't believe Cyborg has any leverage at this point to argue different terms. Bottom line, make the fight happen.

If Dana White and Rousey believe she can beat Floyd, why doesn't she fight Cyborg at 140 catch weight?

Do they believe that Cyborg is a serious threat and Floyd is not?

Ronda calls out Mayweather and Cain Valesquez because she knows those fights will never happen. Ronda doesn't call out Cyborg because Ronda knows she will have to back it up with her action, not just her words.

Ronda calls out Mayweather and Cain Valesquez because she knows those fights will never happen. Ronda doesn't call out Cyborg because Ronda knows she will have to back it up with her action, not just her words.

Oh, look, you in yet another thread about Ronda crying.

And she had previously been penciled in to fight Cyborg, this from her own attorney. But no matter how much or how often this is pointed out, you still have to lie about her to make yourself feel better.

I am sorry she raped your dog with a mop handle or whatever the fucked happened to piss you off so very badly, but it is time to move on.

Oh, look, you in yet another thread about Ronda crying.

And she had previously been penciled in to fight Cyborg, this from her own attorney. But no matter how much or how often this is pointed out, you still have to lie about her to make yourself feel better.

I am sorry she raped your dog with a mop handle or whatever the fucked happened to piss you off so very badly, but it is time to move on.

oh, look, another white knight defending Honda on the internet.

no worry, bro. she won't fuck you no matter how much you try :icon_cry2 it's time to move on to find someone who loves you because a NO is a NO.

200w.gif

oh, look, another white knight defending Honda on the internet.

no worry, bro. she won't fuck you no matter how much you try :icon_cry2 it's time to move on to find someone who loves you because a NO is a NO.

Not defending her, just sick of sorry little bastards who spew the same shit that makes this place such a joke, regardless of fighters. Along the lines of the idiots who say stupid shit like "Fedor never fought anyone good" or other equally stupid things.

And I am quite happy in my present relationship. Nice attempt at deflection.

Seek help.

ignoring the white and black knight losers here its simple

she can talk shit about beating Floyd because that fight will NEVER happen no way no how

as for not fighting Cyborg at 140lbs it could be for many reason maybe
1.she's afraid and knows Cyborg can't make 135 so she sets a goal Cybord simply can't meet to avoid the fight
2.she wants Cyborg to drain herself out with the weight cut as much as possible so she can have a tactical advantage
3.pride tells her not to fight at Cyborg's rules and if Cyborg wants it she has to meet her demands

could be any one of those could be none my own opinion is this if she thinks of herself so highly and could apparently beat anyone on the face of the earth then she should accept the challenge regardless of a weight i mean that's what cemented guys like BJ and Fedor as greats

Last edited:
If Dana White and Rousey believe she can beat Floyd, why doesn't she fight Cyborg at 140 catch weight?

Do they believe that Cyborg is a serious threat and Floyd is not?

Forget Cyborg for an instant.
This FLoyd thing is stupid.

IMHO most to 10 MMA fighters from any division can beat FLoyd on an MMA fight.
it is even unfair to Floyd.

Because if you'd make it a boxing match, most top fighters would lose badly to Floyd.

So Ronda is confident she can beat him, but that's because it is easy. One takedown and he is a fish out of water.

But let us see her confidence going in a boxing match against a female top Boxer... heck, even Laila Ali would clown Ronda in a boxing match. :redface:

because her saying she is willing to fight mayweather an all that crap will attract more females into the ufc , it's not like she is gonna fight him for real

I wouldn't take too much stock in these "I can beat <insert name>" - it's just her internal self-belief talking. Plus dumbass journalists will ask her these questions over and over - and dumbass posters will keep regurgitating the same threads over and over also.

Ronda is the world's most dominant athlete

The greatest female fighter of all time

A mythical creature

...but she can't fight another woman 5 lbs above her weight class

The greatest fighters/boxers in history have fought at multiple weight classes and won. The weight jump from MMA compared to boxing is usually more, almost 2x as much per class..but still. Many did it at the middle/lighter weights.

Honda can keep ducking all she wants at 135lbs...she probably walks around at 170lbs.

ronda is true to her word. Ronda says she gonna fight cyborg at 135 and that's the bottom line, cause Ronda says so!~

The greatest fighters/boxers in history have fought at multiple weight classes and won. The weight jump from MMA compared to boxing is usually more, almost 2x as much per class..but still. Many did it at the middle/lighter weights.

Honda can keep ducking all she wants at 135lbs...she probably walks around at 170lbs.

The greatest grapplers in history have stuck to their division. Satiev won 3 Olympic gold and 6 world championship gold, all at the same division. Same for just about every other repeat Olympic gold medalist you can find in judo and wrestling.

Rousey comes from a grappling tradition (judo). Why should she care about the boxing tradition? Especially since pure grappling tends to beat pure boxing, so the grappling tradition is better suited for MMA.

And the UFC tradition is that UFC champs, while champs, stay in their weight division. Liddell, Aldo, GSP, Hughes, Jones, Barao - in fact every champ but Anderson and Penn stayed in their weight division while champ, and Anderson never fought the current LHW champ while champ (ie he could have fought Liddell, Shogun, Machida, or Jones, and fought none of them).

Boxing tradition is great for boxing, or MMA fighters who come from boxing. Neither applies to Rousey. Or most other UFC champs, who tend to come from a grappling tradition. Which seems to apply better than boxing to MMA.

Jesus you Cyborg apologists don't have one clue between you.

Ronda signed to fight your hero in SF. Your hero failed a fight night drug tes t(which is like failing a fucking iq test...) and was suspended. Ronda moved to 135 as that was a MUCH deeper and more competitive division. Ronda has cleaned up, never missing weight. Cyborg once missed by six fucking pounds. The UFC has no 145 division as it is not deep. UFC offered your hero a contract, she declined and moved to Invicta, all the while staying at 145, while continuing to trash talk RR. Cyborg has never even tried too cut weight, even though the UFC was clear that any fight happens at 135.

Keep bringing the comedy though. I look forward to your next new account.

Wrong, Ronda dropped to 135 before Cyborg fought Hiroko.
She said she wasn't ready and that she'd like to win at 135 first and then unify the belts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back