If Miesha beats Ronda would you consider it an upset?

Ronda beating Tate was an upset, her beating Carmouche was an upset. So no.

Women MMA is in its infancy. If a fighter who cannot throw even a single punch properly wins, you know there is something wrong. There is no one trick Ponies in men's mma except the one punch power hitters. Those are the only one trick ponies that will survive in women mma too.

not really she is not a 1 trick pony

if she did'nt have her strong takedown ability she would not even be champ

He came to the UFC with a 1-0 record. Lost his first fight, won his second and in his THIRD FIGHT HE FOUGHT FOR THE TITLE with a 1-1 UFC record. And you say that's not pushing and protecting? Really?! Cain had to win SIX FIGHTS IN A ROW before getting his shot, JDS 7.

I think he won though.

Yes even though I think she has a big chance of pulling it off, it would be the biggest upset in wmma history.

The odds in this fight are WAY off. Meisha has a very real chance of beating Ronda. Ronda's been a bit lucky up to this point. Not saying she's not good but she was in danger against Liz and Meisha did alright the first fight. I think she'll probably win again but -1100 is just ridiculous. Anything more than 3:1 odds is out of whack.

People calling Ronda a one trick Pony don't realize that they just aren't used to seeing the intricacies of judo (and her style is unique even in judo) after watching jiu jitsu/wrestling type grappling for the last 10 years.
She uses different take-downs, different set-ups and different ending positions for the armbar.
Would you call JDS a 1 trick pony b/c he always finishes with punches?

I think what a lot of people forget is that if you look at the CONTENT of Rhonda's training history, instead of just labels, she has 3 disciplines. Since they overlap, they take up 2 of the 3 dimensions in MMA. The third dimension being striking.

1. Judo
2. Wrestling
3. BJJ

1. Self explanatory. But keep in mind that she trained with a lot of types of Judoka and has experience in a lot of styles of Judo.

2. Rhonda didn't wrestle on a team, but has been grappling (including stand up grappling) with wrestlers, even some high level wrestlers, for years. Including no gi grappling. And with Sambo guys too. Also there are some moves that cross over between judo and wrestling, judo even has singles.

3. Rhonda obviously gets her base for BJJ from her Judo background, and we all know that BJJ comes from Judo ground grappling. But she has trained with lots of BJJ guys, not only Diaz, and from a purely BJJ rules perspective has high level BJJ. Not the elite of women's sport BJJ, but very high level to be sure.

So Rhonda is 2 dimensional. If you can armbar everyone , you have good subs. If you can take everyone down, you are a good wrestler. Which is in theory worse than 3 dimensional. But some of the all time great of mma were (and even still are) 2D. And most of the women's division is 2 dimensional.

That said, I hope she loses. To anyone.

You understand that an upset means that the favorite losses right? Ronda is the obvious favorite shes already submitted and dominated Miesha.. so yeah.. it would be an upset.

And since your so sure Miesha won't get armbared? Go ahead and bet the house buddy but have the telephone number to the nearest homeless shelter ready because you'll need it. Rousey wins this easy.

No, & Tate is HOT!!

No. Miesha is the better fighter. It's not arguable. Ronda is a 1 trick pony.

Wow, the Ronda hate is blinding. Look at Miesha's face after she got her arm broke that look of despair is the realization of being outmatched. At best she'll be the Vegeta of the 135 division: fighting for second place.

Back