If Jones only wins because of size and reach

milkywaygalxee**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What does that say about the quality of fighters in the UFC? Is the competition that bad, or is Jones just that good?

What does that say about the quality of fighters in the UFC? Is the competition that bad, or is Jones just that good?

Why even make a thread like this, it only goes into flaming back and forth,

If the LHW's can't deal with Jones reach, they should go down to MW. Plenty of fighters jones size at 6'4 at LHW, but his reach is pretty big.

Muhammad Ali had a 80 inch reach, some people just have good genetics.

Why even make a thread like this, it only goes into a flame war for the haters.

If the LHW's can deal with Jones reach and size, they should go down to MW. Plenty of fighters his size, his reach is another issue.

Muhammad Ali had a 81 inch reach, some people just have that good genetics.

Good points. I don't intend to engage in flame wars though. That type can feel free to dub and ban themselves out of the discussion.

Nobody, except the hardcore haters, trolls and idiots, claims he wins solely because his size and reach. What most people say is that they do give him a massive advantage, especially considering how well he utilizes his reach. It takes a skillfull fighter to do that though, i mean Kendall Grove and Struve are hardly dominating their divisions despite having a similiar advantage.

The sad thing about it is that Struve doesn't know how to use his reach and could be a much better fighter if he did use it and Struve has the height as well to actually be a real problem at HW.

It would open problems for him inside the pocket if he didnt learn how to fight outside and inside but Struve could do much better utilizing some kind of jon jones approach.

Same as diabate at LHW, he is 6'6 and is taller then jones and has a 81.5 inch reach and cant seem to get out of the bottom of the LHW diivsion.

Diabate is a quandry to me, he is a decent fighter but he cant do what Jones is doing in regards to success with his reach/distance striking game and is a much better boxer then Jones.

Cyril is one fighter I would think could at least duplicate Jones success but maybe they arent jones.

He's a genetic freak with 2 brothers in the NFL.

His reach advantage relative to his opponents.

His wrestling advantage despite having size and reach advantages, which is not normal.

Jones is that good. He might be big for lhw, but he has to abide by the 205 limit like everyone else. It's not like Schilt in K1, whose main advantage is that he weighs nearly 300 pounds and has a 88 inch reach.

Using reach is a skill. Yeah, Jones utilizes highlight reel strikes and at times, recklessly. More than often though he uses a variety to confound and bewilder his opponennt. He IS a smart fighter. If he wasn't someone would have put him to sleep by now.

He uses his size and reach well, that's how.

Also, he's fast and strong enough to get away with the risky manoeuvres he tries.

Jones is that good. He might be big for lhw, but he has to abide by the 205 limit like everyone else. It's not like Schilt in K1, who's main advantage is that he weighs nearly 300 pounds and has a 88 inch reach.

That guy is a tower of WHOA!! Not taking a kick from him for a new car!

The sad thing about it is that Struve doesn't know how to use his reach and could be a much better fighter if he did use it and Struve has the height as well to actually be a real problem at HW.

It would open problems for him inside the pocket if he didnt learn how to fight outside and inside but Struve could do much better utilizing some kind of jon jones approach.

I think he's getting there, his did use his reach pretty well against Miocic.

Diabate is a quandry to me, he is a decent fighter but he cant do what Jones is doing in regards to success with his reach/distance striking game and is a much better boxer then Jones.

Cyril is one fighter I would think could at least duplicate Jones success but maybe they arent jones.

You raise an interesting point. Cyril looks brilliant at times and aweful at others, while sharing favourable attributes with Jones. I think Jones just has that X factor. It seems like he has better instincts.

It's not cheating if it is natural, but it is naturally unfair. He has long arms for days

reach is overstated as an advantage

look at cormier, his style is perfect for being short, if he was taller he wouldnt have done as well

cormier 5'11 72 inch reach used his lower center of gravity to beat

bigfoot 6'4 82 inch reach
barnett 6'4 78 inch reach

Jones is unique bc for a tall guy he uses the clinch and wrestling a lot better than others, so for him reach is an advantage for others against shorter wrestlers its not.

You raise an interesting point. Cyril looks brilliant at times and aweful at others, while sharing favourable attributes with Jones. I think Jones just has that X factor. It seems like he has better instincts.

What makes Jones' reach so great is that hes also good in the clinch against strong wrestlers

I think he's getting there, his did use his reach pretty well against Miocic.

Struve is looking better all the time. I thinks his biggest problem is that he likes to get into wild brawls. If he wants to be successful in the HW division he needs to fight alot smarter. He still has a good chance at making it into the elite with his height and ever improving game. I really liked the combination he finished pot smokin' Herman with.

Jones vs. Gustaffson is gonna be interesting...so is Jones vs. Phil.

havent we been through this already? Yes he does have an advantage but you also need skill and athleticism to use it.

Jones is that good. He might be big for lhw, but he has to abide by the 205 limit like everyone else. It's not like Schilt in K1, whose main advantage is that he weighs nearly 300 pounds and has a 88 inch reach.

Agreed. Having the physical gifts accounts for prolly 40% of your chance of success. Jones utilises them intelligently.

I agree

The funny thing is that Cyril is a much better kickboxer and boxer then Jones and I think is just as athletic but he cant seem to fix his issues and at 6'6 should have a height advantage over everyone at LHW.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jones vs Diabate but I think Jones would probably break him in half with his wrestling.

But I agree, Cyrill has at times looked brilliant and other times awful like the beating he took from Shogun and Gustafson.

Back