If Jones only wins because of size and reach

Size and reach help give but people on here are stupid if they only credit him for that. His wrestling skills are amazing and that came from years of hard work as a teenager practicing multiple styles of it.

I may have to watch that fight, I am always rooting for the skyscraper.

He still gets a bit loose at times. There was points in that fight where I was thinking, WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT.

Wow,I haven't heard anything about Jones height and reach for a while.I take it it's been eating at you that people have that opinion about him and now you want to get it off your chest.

Jones is not even that big, he is 220 pounds.
Sonnen was fighting at MW and he is 230 lbs.

he is just that good, he can use his physical advantages very well.
reach without speed and good movements is nothing.
like someone said, there are plenty of short HWs that use their speed advantage to cover the distance and land bombs against the taller, rangier fighters.
Cain Velasquez has exactly the opposite body type than Jones, but it's not a problem for him.

Of course he doesn't only win due to size and reach. His reach advantage, together with his unique skills to use it, is a huge factor in why he's as good as he is though. It of course also helps that he has a body type that remains strong and explosive despite that he's tall and has thin legs.

Jones is probably the best at utilizing reach (although it helps that he has the longest reach below SHW) but other than that I do think there are several other champs that have better technique than he does. It doesn't matter much though since in the end it's all about what you do with what you've got.

Jones is not even that big, he is 220 pounds.
Sonnen was fighting at MW and he is 230 lbs.

he is just that good, he can use his physical advantages very well.
reach without speed and good movements is nothing.
like someone said, there are plenty of short HWs that use their speed advantage to cover the distance and land bombs against the taller, rangier fighters.
Cain Velasquez has exactly the opposite body type than Jones, but it's not a problem for him.
When I last heard Jones talk about his weight (in October) he said that he was 225, so he's a little bigger than what you claim. He also said he might be moving to HW at the end of 2013, which says something about how he feels his body developing, even though I don't think it will happen that quickly.

Then again his weight isn't really the size issue everyone is talking about with him. It's that he has the clearly longest reach in MMA if you don't count SHW (where there's not really any proper fighters), and the only guys that are remotely close are in another division than him.

When I last heard Jones talk about his weight (in October) he said that he was 225, so he's a little bigger than what you claim. He also said he might be moving to HW at the end of 2013, which says something about how he feels his body developing, even though I don't think it will happen that quickly.

Then again his weight isn't really the size issue everyone is talking about with him. It's that he has the clearly longest reach in MMA if you don't count SHW (where there's not really any proper fighters), and the only guys that are remotely close are in another division than him.

Agreed. Jones is a very big lhw....look at him At Te weigh ins....it's like It's like Sonnen said about JMM in the Pacquiao fight: there is the piss test anthe visual test in regard to JMM steroid accusations.

Well to me it's similar here....the visual test, and everybody has eyes, is that Jones mass many LHW look small in comparison. That's not his fault, and it's not a knock on him in any way, but for somebody to say he isn't a big lhw is head scratching to say the least.

About as obvious as watching BJ vs Rory and seeing the size difference between those two, or watching Hallman vs Makdessie.......they looked to be 2 weight classes apart...:)

jones wins because he is a really good fighter who also utilizes his size and reach to his advantage. if you think jones beat machida, shogun, rampage, rashard, vitor just because he is big and has long arms you are an idiot seriously.

Kinda like how nobody is logically going to claim that Radhaf and Machisa are large lhw fighters.....Sonnen fought at lhw before, watch his fights against Babalu and Horn....not two guys who are known for being huge lhw's either, and I don't believe Sonnendwarfed either of them. He is pretty damn big for 185 though IMO.....

In anxious to see his cardio now at 205, to see if it is better than at 185.....he has awesome cardio at 185, pushing a relentless pace, save for the Bisping fight which I thought personally he wasn't able to quite push as hard as normal. I mean, he was able to Ross around Okami, Marquardt, Miller, Stann, Silva, guys who are not thrown around with ease by anyone.

Not taking anything away from Bisping, I shows how good his Tdd and cardio is, but like I said he ragdolled these other guys who have not been done that way before or since.....

I'm hoping his cardio and quick was will be an advantage, as I for think he will have the strength advantage he had a mw...I believe his strength will more than suffice though.

This is not an all or nothing world.

It's stupid to say he only wins because of his reach (and I think few people actually say that---they say "it's a huge advantage" or "it's a huge PART of why he wins" and then people like you say "oh so he only wins cause of his reach, huh?")

but it would be equally stupid to say "his size and reach have nothing to do with him winning. He'd win even if he were shorter and had smaller arms, he's just that good"

It's a combination of the two. He's really great and his reach helps him a lot. The end.

jones wins because he is a really good fighter who also utilizes his size and reach to his advantage. if you think jones beat machida, shogun, rampage, rashard, vitor just because he is big and has long arms you are an idiot seriously.

Is correct....I'm not a jones fan, but for peole to act like he is a big, unskilled oaf is asinine IMO.

Tim Sylviato me is an example of a man who was for the most part able to bully smaller guys and use his Jab to his advantage, until he came up against a much more skilled man in Couture.

Jones is so unique because he utilizes what he has been given to Te fullest capabilities....and he has the wrestling to hurt guys when they he inside his reach. Most tall guys like him arent masters of leverage in the clinch. He just has everything.

I am anxious to see how he deals with Sonnen's pressure though if the fight goes past the third round.. We know Sonnen can push the pace, but can Jones deal with someone who isn't afraid to pressure him for the entire fight? That's what I would've liked to see Rahad do, but as I'm not a pro fighter, it's easier said than done...:)

This thread. It sucks

Hey good post....I normally stay out of threads I dont like, instead of trying to add a witty, cute response that people such as yourself do all the time. nobody thinks it's cool.

i remember that Vinny Maghalaes wrote on Sherdog that Jones was 220 and Chael 230+ lbs.
by the way, 220 or 225, doesn't make a big difference.
what is meaningful is that there are MWs who are as heavy or heavier tha Jones.
Vitor Belfort kill himself to make 185, in fact in the match against Jones he was a full size LHW despite the match was on short notice.

Reach doesn't really matter if you can't stop a takedown or are terrible in the clinch. A lot of short stocky wrestlers put long armed fighters on their back every event.... However Jones is good in the clinch and can stop a takedown so his reach ends up mattering more. Hes a good fighter

That guy is athletic and tough as nails. Reach and size only add to his already impressive arsenal. I still wish someone would kick his ass already..

I'm one of the biggest Jones haters you will meet but while his reach helps, he wins because he's so talented

Back