If Jones beats Glover and then Gus in the rematch

Would his title reign be considered the GOAT? Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Rashad, Vitor, Chael, Gusx2 and then Glover. While I agree that Vitor and Chael were gimme fights, the rest of them are a murderers row.

In fairness, Vitor is an ex champ, one of the all time greats and almost armbarred Jones and Chael ripped through Shogun.

They may have been 'gimmes' for Jones but they wouldn't have been gimmes for any other LHW.

Please explain that. When they fought he had two losses and was considered to be the LHW w/ the best chance to beat Jones.

That's cray

Cause he was 1-2 (should have been 1-3) in his last 3 and was on a whopping 1 fight win streak over Couture, who retired in the cage after the fight

Lot of tough guys here. You think Gustafasson in Jones shoes could have beaten who Jones has beaten in the past? The kid is undefeated in championship bouts. The Alex fight took him into deep waters and he came out even hungrier. I think Jones won that fight but it's my opinion. Chael Sonnen was placed in front of Jones as well as Vitor. Both are credible threats who have both beaten former LHW champions. If you don't like Jones then be a man and just say it. Don't be a dumbass and try and knock his reign. No one here is going to believe your bullshit.

Cause he was 1-2 (should have been 1-3) in his last 3 and was on a whopping 1 fight win streak over Couture, who retired in the cage after the fight
If you're gonna take the first Shogun fight then you have to give him the Rampage fight.
1-2 against former champions is far from a gimmee. And I'm far from a Machida fan.

I think you're the only poster I've ever heard refer to Machia as a gimmee in ANY fight.

the guy is certainly getting there with no obvious signs of slowing

Machida was a gimme fight too.

Also, if you're assuming Chael was a gimme fight, then Shogun was too as Chael beat him easier and faster than Jones did

If that's the case the Diaz was a gimme fight as well since he was coming off a loss and that retirement nonsense. Pretty much every fighter in the history of fighting is both over and under rated depending on the narrative. On the P4P I put him over George on his almost astronomical work schedule and dominance out there compared to his. Yes George outclasses people, but so does Jon and he actually finishes people.

If you're gonna take the first Shogun fight then you have to give him the Rampage fight.
1-2 against former champions is far from a gimmee. And I'm far from a Machida fan.

I think you're the only poster I've ever heard refer to Machia as a gimmee in ANY fight.

Why would I give Machida the Rampage fight? When you lose the first 2 rounds in a 3 round fight, you lose the fight. Wasn't anything controversial about that fight at all. Only people who think that are the ones scoring fights as a whole (in which yes Machida would have won), but under the Unified Rules that they fought under, Rampage won.

Machida isn't a gimme opponent skillwise, but heading into the Jones fight he was one of the least deserving title challengers in UFC history and it's been completely swept under the rug as people don't like to acknowledge it. Being 1-2, and rightfully 1-3, heading into a title fight is undeserving and there's no denying it. Were some of those fights close? Yes, but he still lost

If that's the case the Diaz was a gimme fight as well since he was coming off a loss and that retirement nonsense. Pretty much every fighter in the history of fighting is both over and under rated depending on the narrative. On the P4P I put him over George on his almost astronomical work schedule and dominance out there compared to his. Yes George outclasses people, but so does Jon and he actually finishes people.

Machida was 1-2, should've been 1-3, heading into the Jones fight since October 2009.

Diaz was 6-1 heading into the GSP fight since October 2009

Machida was at least going into the fight on a 1 fight win streak, but Diaz had had a much better run during the same time frame. Neither guy was deserving of a title fight though

He's done it so quickly. The people he's beaten is literally a who's who of the division. (Excluding Sonnen). He has a list of wins that would define a career.. He's done it two f**king years. He's made what was the most exciting division look VERY thin. G.O.A.T ... so far.

And I can't stand him.

Really you jones nutthuggers give way too much credit to these fighters in this division. The LHW division was the weakest at that time many fighters past their prime and natural mw. Let go of goat talk already.

Actually the LHW division was the strongest at the time Jones won his title and defended it the first few times. I get everyone saying he needs time but now with 6 defenses and if you discount the BS DQ with Hamill 14 straight wins at the age of 26 it's starting to get hard to make an argument for GSP and AS especially AS.

Also, if you're assuming Chael was a gimme fight, then Shogun was too as Chael beat him easier and faster than Jones did

Haters don't even try anymore. Shogun was champ when Jones beat him. Chael fought him 2 and a half years later.
Really bad MMA math.

Machida was a gimme fight too.

Everyone was a gimmie fight for Jones at LHW

When did Lyoto, the same fighter who knocked out Rashad Evans and Bader become a gimmie fight.

GTFO

Haters don't even try anymore. Shogun was champ when Jones beat him. Chael fought him 2 and a half years later.
Really bad MMA math.

Yup Shogun was a whopping 31 years old when Chael dominated him

Yup Shogun was a whopping 31 years old when Chael dominated him

Shogun was pretty much done after his two knee surgeries and the Vladdy fight when he stopped training seriously and left his main trainer to train by himself.

Shogun is 41 in fight years

Everyone was a gimmie fight for Jones at LHW

When did Lyoto, the same fighter who knocked out Rashad Evans and Bader become a gimmie fight.

GTFO

Skillwise he's not a gimme opponent, but please tell me how he deserved a title fight when he was 1-2 in his last 3, and rightfully should have been 1-3 in his last 4? You can't.

It was a bullshit fight and it just gets swept under the rug around here because Machida is one of the more popular fighters on here. Machida was a gimme fight as he in no way shape or form deserved a title shot, same as Chael and Vitor.

Skillwise he's not a gimme opponent, but please tell me how he deserved a title fight when he was 1-2 in his last 3, and rightfully should have been 1-3 in his last 4? You can't.

It was a bullshit fight and it just gets swept under the rug around here because Machida is one of the more popular fighters on here. Machida was a gimme fight as he in no way shape or form deserved a title shot, same as Chael and Vitor.

Who else should've gotten the shot since Evans was injured?

So what if he was one and two in his last fights, he lost some controversial decisions and fought the best in the division. He was the second best fighter in the division at the time. He also beat the guy slated to fight Jones early on and got the nod.

He lost to Rua who he also beat and Jackson. Two elite fighters who both fought Jones previously. He was the best fighter at the time and next in line in terms of elites at LHW.

A gimmie fight means it is a gimmie fight and not what you are stating. I am not sure you know what a gimmie fight is actually. Machida is in no shape or form a gimmie fight at all in any context.

Cain. JDS, GSP have all fought fighters coming off loses and a few of them are not even remotely as skilled as Machida or even on that level. Machida was the proper guy to get the fight against jones because he was the best fighter at the time who had not fought Jones.

Shogun was done after his two knee surgeries and the Vladdy fight when he stopped training seriously and left his main trainer to train by himself.

So Shogun was done when Jones fought him, as well as done when Chael fought him.

Back