If guys like Jones and Masvidal want to make money, can’t they just go somewhere else?

There were a few stories about this last year.

Sources tell The Post UFC’s fighters cost the Las Vegas promotions company less than $150 million last year — or under 16 percent of its $900 million in revenue. By contrast, Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association and the National Football League all share between 48 percent and 50 percent of revenues with their players, data shows.

Its downright criminal by contrast.

Revenue, as I'm sure you well know, is not the same as profit.
How much of that revenue is swallowed up by costs that the NFL don't have?
It a much more nuanced subject than you are making it out to be and not necessarily in favour of the fighters.
Out of the profit, not revenue, what would you consider a fair split?

Have you ever heard of a contract before? All business have them.
The said fighters mentioned have called for their release because again, they are locked into contracts.

lawyers arent cheap. he could of bought a fancy house and some fancy cars.jon always has to pay taxes and his manager an stuff.
Even with all that. Jon has won how many title fights, I assume most of those topped out at about a million. But if the 5 mil number is to be believed, even if it was only for his last few fights his net should be wayy higher. Especially with that Nike cash he was getting for a bit. Point is I doubt hes ever gotten 5 million from a single fight. I think that may be what they are willing to pay for a fight with ngannou.

Even with all that. Jon has won how many title fights, I assume most of those topped out at about a million. But if the 5 mil number is to be believed, even if it was only for his last few fights his net should be wayy higher. Especially with that Nike cash he was getting for a bit. Point is I doubt hes ever gotten 5 million from a single fight. I think that may be what they are willing to pay for a fight with ngannou.

just cause he might of made a big number doesnt mean he doesnt have to pay his gym, his managers, his taxes.

that nike money im sure wasnt much at all cause that deal went away so fast,

he also was sued buy the pregnant woman that im sure cost some money.

jon using this as a scapegoat to not move up and just defend his lhw belt this year. jon just playing the victim card which he good at doing.

Well, they could hire entertainment attorneys like other athletes and negotiate performance based contracts.

They are free men contracting. Jones has diminished his value and both are under contracts which they freely signed. For that reason the UFC also cannot pay them less.

The crying out of fighters in the media all the time for someone to come and save them from the monster is kinda pathetic.

These guys are delusional....they want to compare themselves to Floyd Mayweather, but they don’t realize, they are in a different business model..

I mean the bottom line is this. UFC fighters take in significantly less in payroll than other sports stars do. It's not even close. IIRC its around 85-15. Dana rakes in $20m per year in salary alone and he's only one owner.

UFC made half a billion dollars in revenue in 2015.

if bellator could manage to pay their fighters a lot more, the ufc would be in huge trouble. even though the ufc is a brand, it's really about people wanting to watch the best fighters. the organization doesn't mean a thing. the ufc brand doesn't really matter when it comes to fighting. look at boxing. people can't even name any of the boxing organizations. but they can sure name the boxers.

There's a few problems.

UFC still pays the most for top talent. Jones would not make more than his UFC salary in Bellator and if he did Bellator would be burning cash trying to do it and would flop. Look at Affliction. They had Fedor in his prime, Arlovski, Sylvia, Belfort, Barnett. With all of their talent they did shit PPV around 100,000 buys when MMA PPV was at it's hottest.

No MMA promotion has sold over 150,000 PPV buys besides the UFC.

You've been here for +2 years but still hadn't noticed that people are talking about stuff like "He's got 2 fights left on his contract"

Basically that means you can't fight for another MMA organization unless you finish the remaining fights on your UFC contract or get released

Back