If Conor somehow wins WW title and then retires, where would you rank him on all time list?

He's already number 1. 50 million Instagram followers. Over 100 million in the bank.

He'll go down in history as exactly what he is: a guy who beat three champions, but never defended. A guy who perfected the art of self-promotion in MMA. And, a guy who should have had more of an in-combat legacy than he does because he spent more energy on making headlines outside of the cage. The end.

Was he one of the best? At this point, we'll never know. He WAS a multi-division champion -- he beat the belt holders decisively. That can't be argued. We never got to see what could have been from title defenses, though. Everyone loses eventually. He just (deservedly) gets so much shit for those losses because of his ego and brashness. Let's see if Conor 2.0 turns all that around and gives the schtick a rest in favor of actually fighting.

Lol it's just people being ridiculous. The claim isn't just that he can't beat a grappler of the highest caliber, a lot of people claim his grappling is "subpar" meaning below average in MMA... If that was the case most these guys would just toss him to the mat and submit him with ease.
Agreed.

The high level grappler thing is a bit silly too as he beat Mendes and Mendes has smoked high level BB's in BJJ comps, not to mention Brandao is a third degree BB, Aldo is high level BB, Poirier is a BB, Cerrone is as good at the ground as anyone, and Nate is obviously a high level BB. Prime juiced up pre USADA Mendes was about as good a combo of wrestling and hands as you will find, but the goober haters move the goal post because he only lost to one unavenged man in the UFC. And still, maybe he loses to Khabib all the time, could just be he's a bad match up, doesn't mean he has no grappling/sub par like the dummies say.

His wrestling is at least suspect. The khabib fight isnt a good example since he was allowed to cheat the entire fight. If he couldnt grab shorts, gloves, put toes in fence, he could have been smashed and tapped out in the 1st or 2nd.
The WW division is bad news for Conor, even if he can defend takedowns. Those guys are taller,heavier, longer reach, and mix it up well. It might not be a hugely shocking upset, but its far from the cherry picked cowboy fight. He would struggle with any of the top WW and he doesn't deal well with adversity.
How is his wrestling suspect?

How about Holloway's wrestling? Or wait, 'that doesn't count'? He sure shut down Eddie's wrestling and still has one of the higher TDD's in the UFC.

The criticisms made for Conor simply aren't made for others on his level or below him. Poirier, Trujillo, even RDA did worse vs Khabib, but no one would say they had weak wresting and grappling. Listen to the Josh Thomson podcast, he basically shit on all Sherdog and their couch coach rhetoric.

I don't get this 'Conor can never beat a wrestler' narrative. Listen to Rogan's podcast with Thomson. He said Conor did better against Khabib than any wrestler did and that you had to be a professional fighter or expert to appreciate what he was doing. HE, Khabib;s team captain, basically clowned the life out of all these goober saying "Conor has no wrestling, Conor is a one trick pony, Conor has no grappling, etc". Conor can beat anyone at 170 and under if he lands, and he is certainly no one trick pony. This is fighting where Bisping KO'd Rockhold. Conor catching Masvidal or Usman would not be as shocking as Bisping beating Luke or Mercer KO'ing Timmeh.

Why?

One week Mendes was mauling him until he gassed out in seven minutes and went for the dumbest choke of all time despite top control.

Nate who has horrible offensive wrestling took him down a few times.

Khabib not only took him down at will despite Conor being prepared tactically to defend it, evidence by him being so worried about the takedown that Khabib actually dropped him with a punch, that he gassed out and gave up, but Khabib also worked the most aggressive ground and pound when he had Conor posted.

That's fucking why.

"Then he would probably retire, because i believe in his mind nothing could top being a 3-division champ."

I see shit like this all the time, and it's baffling. How come people don't realize it's a job and they are there to make money? Of course he could retire....or he could fight again and make another 50 million dollars...hmm, tough pick. As for the thread topic, who gives a shit.

In sports entertainment like MMA, nearly everything is possible.

Cejudo beating Miocic? No.

Conor landing early left hook or some destroying combo like he did to Eddie, to WW champ at the time? Yes.

Then he would probably retire, because i believe in his mind nothing could top being a 3-division champ.

Where would you rank him in the goat list, GOAT? Top 5? Top 10? Was never champ because he never defended?
Has to be top 5

Undisputed All time greatest

draw or showman

He’s a can, end of story.

/thread

Conor McGregor's career as of now:

#1 fighters defeated at their weight-class (2):
Aldo
Alvarez
Top 5 fighters defeated at their weight-class (2):
Mendes
Poirier
Top 5 fighters defeated outside of their weight-class (1):
Cerrone
Top 10 fighters defeated at their weight-class (0):
Top 10 fighters defeated outside of their weight-class (1):
Diaz

Not exactly a resume equal to the likes of Fedor/Jones/Anderson/GSP/Aldo/Mighty Mouse.

didnt he retire after winning the 2nd belt from eddie sanchez the guy was 1 of the most inactive champions you could wish for with no intentions of defending... i rather like to see him fight those exhibition bouts he do now. theres no way he would fight a legit 170

I have never considered Conor to be LW champ, since he only fought Alvarez for that belt instead of Tony or Khabib. Same as GSPs MW title was a paper belt since he only ever beat Bisping @ MW.

Since he won't ever win the WW title Conor will go down as one time FW champ that never defended in my book. The rest is just a marketing gimmick by the UFC that Conors nuthuggers and some other idiots started believing for whatever reason. End of story.

The best guys have defended there belts many times

It would be a great accomplishment no doubt but I kimd of think the the UFC gifted the lightweight title shot to Conor and he got the win .

It would have been better for Conors legacy if he defended the lightweight belt

Winning two belts is alone a huge
Achievement

In sports entertainment like MMA, nearly everything is possible.

Cejudo beating Miocic? No.

Conor landing early left hook or some destroying combo like he did to Eddie, to WW champ at the time? Yes.

Then he would probably retire, because I believe in his mind nothing could top being a 3-division champ.

Where would you rank him in the goat list, GOAT? Top 5? Top 10? Was never champ because he never defended?

Wins the title and then retires? Sounds about right, he will NOT defend his title. I would rank any champion that won in multiple weight classes and defended their title above him.

However, from skills stand point, he’s in my top 5 all time.

Not top 5 or even top 10 because I have never considered him a legit LW champion while Tony and Khabib existed.

Tony had zero top 5 wins when Conor got the title shot, and Khabib had only the #5 RDA win from 2 years before. Both were coming off wins over unranked Lando and Horcher. Tony wouldn't get a top 5 win until he beat RDA, after Conor already had the shot. Khabib and Tony only cemented themselves at the top of the division AFTER Conor was champ.

Meanwhile it's worth noting that Diaz was #4 at LW when Conor beat him. So Conor actually had the highest ranked win in the division, barring Eddie himself.

Conor McGregor's career as of now:

#1 fighters defeated at their weight-class (2):
Aldo
Alvarez
Top 5 fighters defeated at their weight-class (2):
Mendes
Poirier
Top 5 fighters defeated outside of their weight-class (1):
Cerrone
Top 10 fighters defeated at their weight-class (0):
Top 10 fighters defeated outside of their weight-class (1):
Diaz

Not exactly a resume equal to the likes of Fedor/Jones/Anderson/GSP/Aldo/Mighty Mouse.

Diaz was #4 when Conor beat him.

upload_2020-1-25_10-59-54.png

So you need to add Diaz to the top 5 fighters defeated outside their class

And Siver was #10

Why?

One week Mendes was mauling him until he gassed out in seven minutes and went for the dumbest choke of all time despite top control.

Nate who has horrible offensive wrestling took him down a few times.

Khabib not only took him down at will despite Conor being prepared tactically to defend it, evidence by him being so worried about the takedown that Khabib actually dropped him with a punch, that he gassed out and gave up, but Khabib also worked the most aggressive ground and pound when he had Conor posted.

That's fucking why.
Lol @ "mauling" him. How was that, by getting smashed from the bottom and getting finished in less than two rounds? You mean the one elbow he landed at the end of the first after getting messed up on the feet for the first half of the round? I thought "Chad was always in shape" too.....hmmmm. Double standards? Gonna buy 'Chad was outta shape' but not the Conor knee excuse?

Is Eddie's offensive wrestling terrible too? I thought he was 'boxing of Nate but with better power and wrestling' He had plenty of opportunity in the clinch and instead got out grappled by Conor. Nate didn't take him down in the rematch until like 5 seconds left, while he rag dolled Pettis.

And again with the lies: "Khabib actually dropped him with a punch". Gif me that. I will give you 100 but if you can give me a gif of Conor getting "dropped" by Khabib. Conor has never been dropped in his entire career, not even by Mayweather, and you and I both know it. And ANOTHER total hyperbolic fabrication that he 'took him down at will too'. He landed 42% of his td's, failed more than succeeded, and even lost a round.

You Conor haters are off your rockers with your hyperbole. Josh was talking exactly about you clowns when he berated you on JRE.

It would definitely be behind Khabib. No matter what the # beside his name.
So Nate Diaz would be higher only cause he beat him too? Faster than Khabib actually...

3 belts > 1 belt.

Back