If Cerrone wins this weekend...

I think he could end up in the HOF even if he never gets a belt. He's the perfect example of why and how fighters should fight frequently, and I think if he continues this trend his name recognition will skyrocket. I bet more casuals know him than Cain Velasquez for example, and always being ready to fight like him is what all fighters should strive for.

Agreed. He's one of the fighters that I feel that popularity could carry into the HOF.

... at least I hope.

Agreed. He's one of the fighters that I feel that popularity could carry into the HOF.

... at least I hope.

He's a rad mf.

Just imagine him as champ, defending the belt 4x per year. A champ who's ready to fight no matter what will force the UFC to sign talent to challenge; unfortunately this dynamic is missing with many belt holders.

I realize Bonnar and Griffin are a special case, but that's kind of my point. It's not really about your entire career accomplishments (especially in Bonnar's case). Objectively, Cerrone is nowhere near the HOF. It's still possible he ends up there, but considering how few guys there are currently and the significance they've had on the UFC, Cerrone is a long way away. It just doesn't seem likely. But again, it would be cool if he could turn that corner.

He's a future hall of famer for sure but I doubt he'll ever be champ. I'd love to see him get a title shot!

He's a rad mf.

Just imagine him as champ, defending the belt 4x per year. A champ who's ready to fight no matter what will force the UFC to sign talent to challenge; unfortunately this dynamic is missing with many belt holders.

God that sounds amazing.

God that sounds amazing.

I know, right? Even 3x a year would be incredible; someone was making a point in the heavies a while back about name recognition at the highest level of the UFC in a general sense (regular viewers and casuals) and it really stuck with me. The more someone fights the better they'll be set up to draw viewership in the future.

Getting sick of hold ups for the belts ya know?

Being champ while inactive<being champ and defending like a baws by a mile

I know, right? Even 3x a year would be incredible; someone was making a point in the heavies a while back about name recognition at the highest level of the UFC in a general sense (regular viewers and casuals) and it really stuck with me. The more someone fights the better they'll be set up to draw viewership in the future.

3x per year is probably more likely, just because of promotional obligations and setting up contenders. But that's still pretty good.

Love watching Cerrone fight. He needs to finally come through in a high stakes fight to get to that legendary level. He's been one fight away from a UFC title shot a few times now, but lost to Pettis and Diaz. Same with Bendo in the WEC. But a win Sunday would make him a favorite to get the next shot at Pettis IMO. But it's hard not to respect Cowboy's willingness to fight whenever, wherever, whomever.

Jordan Breen mentioned that modern lightweights will be able to put together better resumes than old champions pretty soon. Cerrone has a better resume than a lot of older fighters already. If he beats Benson he's even closer.

Jordan Breen mentioned that modern lightweights will be able to put together better resumes than old champions pretty soon. Cerrone has a better resume than a lot of older fighters already. If he beats Benson he's even closer.

I only partly agree with this. A fighter needs to be judged in the context of his era. You can't fault a guy for when he fought. I think you can however judge a guy that could never get past the top guys of his day. So far, that's been Cerrone. I'm really pulling for him because he's a lot of fun, and I love his attitude toward fighting.

If he gets by Henderson and then he were to win the belt (not very likely imo) that would be a damn impressive belt run for sure.

Hell yeah it would be. I'd probably have to change my stance.

True. Who was even the last champ (in any division) that would fight 3x a year?

I only partly agree with this. A fighter needs to be judged in the context of his era. You can't fault a guy for when he fought. I think you can however judge a guy that could never get past the top guys of his day. So far, that's been Cerrone. I'm really pulling for him because he's a lot of fun, and I love his attitude toward fighting.

You have to balance the two, sure, but JDS probably will never have the championships of a Randy Couture, or even Tim Sylvia, but his resume at HW (as in the skill of the fighters they faced) is way better than theirs. I'm not sure how you would really weigh it fairly. I guess as long as you were open about the criteria of the list, then much of the problem is solved.

You have to balance the two, sure, but JDS probably will never have the championships of a Randy Couture, or even Tim Sylvia, but his resume at HW (as in the skill of the fighters they faced) is way better than theirs. I'm not sure how you would really weigh it fairly. I guess as long as you were open about the criteria of the list, then much of the problem is solved.

Yeah, I feel it's hard to compare across eras. Couture faced the best of his day (mostly), it's just he didn't have as many great fighters available to him as a guy like JDS. Is JDS more skilled? Hard to argue he isn't. But is that just because he's better or because of the natural evolution of the sport? Same with any sport. Guys get better athletically, smarter about how they train, etc.

If he gets by Henderson and then he were to win the belt (not very likely imo) that would be a damn impressive belt run for sure.

Indeed. it would be amongst one of the best win streaks in the sport. Pettis, Henderson, Jury, Alvarez, Miller, Barboza. Also, when you factor in the frequency in which these fights took place, and it makes it even that much more incredible.

HOF? Of course.. guy steps in and save fights. Goes against anybody -he even wanted to fight Brown at WW- and is a fan favourite.

He does not ask for shots or anything.. dude likes to bang.

He is already an all time great on his own way.. you like to rank everything but there are things that can not be ranked.

Indeed. it would be amongst one of the best win streaks in the sport. Pettis, Henderson, Jury, Alvarez, Miller, Barboza. Also, when you factor in the frequency in which these fights took place, and it makes it even more incredible.

That really is impressive to see written out. Do you think if he won it from RDJ instead of Pettis it would diminish it at all? Still an amazing run, but he didn't beat the guy that destroyed him. Not that they couldn't have a rematch.

He will have the 11th most wins in UFC history and this is all in just under 4 years.
He already has more UFC wins than lightweight stalwarts B.J. Penn and Frankie Edgar.

Where do you see him ending in terms of all time wins? Do you think he will be considered among the UFC greats when he hangs up his gloves?
Who gives a shit about all time wins. He fights A LOT and is one of the most entertaining guys out there. Fans love him. That is his legacy.

That really is impressive to see written out. Do you think if he won it from RDJ instead of Pettis it would diminish it at all? Still an amazing run, but he didn't beat the guy that destroyed him. Not that they couldn't have a rematch.

To the majority of fans, it would probably diminish it to some degree. But, it would still be an incredible streak.

Back