If Aldo manages to beat Mcgregor, what does it do for his legacy

I think that Poirier was Conor's best win. Mendes was not himself + Conor got exposed by Mendes.
Trust me, I definitely see the argument for it, but didn't want to steer the thread in that direction. Last thing I want is for "the body shots" brigade to come in here and explain away.

So for now, it's just easier to say McGregor won a fight both men agreed to. Chad will come back stronger.:wink:

Trust me, I definitely see the argument for it, but didn't want to steer the thread in that direction. Last thing I want is for "the body shots" brigade to come in here and explain away.

So for now, it's just easier to say McGregor won a fight both men agreed to. Chad will come back stronger.:wink:

Yeah no doubt he won, then there is no need to go there.

When I think of the word "legacy" I'm thinking what the general consensus will be 10-20 years down the line.

That being said, I think some people are being too analytical when it comes to the term. What makes Ali "The greatest" is not his statistics. It was his career as a whole. From the talk, to the fights. And that's why Conor is so important to Jose's.

It's not just Conor's credentials, whatever you may think of them, but it's the energy he brings with him. There's no one on this site that can honestly say there has been a bigger, consistent, uproar over a single fighter in the past 5 years. To the point where he's highlighted the division as a whole and has fans divided on such solid stances.

Add in the fact that you are the lone-standing champion of your division and more than likely the best mma practioner in the world who was seen glimpses of peril, but has managed to champion through all of it still.

This is totally different from Andy, GSP, or Bones. I think the thing that makes Aldo so great is that he's appeared human, but just has that much more than all of his opponents do. The reason why this is the most important fight for his legacy to date isn't because of how good Conor is or isn't, it's the entire momentum of the fight itself. Guaranteed when the promo gets heavy for this fight, you'll start feeling like you're about to be apart of something and THATS what legacy is. Remembering exactly what happened during this entire moment.

When I think of the word "legacy" I'm thinking what the general consensus will be 10-20 years down the line.

That being said, I think some people are being too analytical when it comes to the term. What makes Ali "The greatest" is not his statistics. It was his career as a whole. From the talk, to the fights. And that's why Conor is so important to Jose's.

It's not just Conor's credentials, whatever you may think of them, but it's the energy he brings with him. There's no one on this site that can honestly say there has been a bigger, consistent, uproar over a single fighter in the past 5 years. To the point where he's highlighted the division as a whole and has fans divided on such solid stances.

Add in the fact that you are the lone-standing champion of your division and more than likely the best mma practioner in the world who was seen glimpses of peril, but has managed to champion through all of it still.

This is totally different from Andy, GSP, or Bones. I think the thing that makes Aldo so great is that he's appeared human, but just has that much more than all of his opponents do. The reason why this is the most important fight for his legacy to date isn't because of how good Conor is or isn't, it's the entire momentum of the fight itself. Guaranteed when the promo gets heavy for this fight, you'll start feeling like you're about to be apart of something and THATS what legacy is. Remembering exactly what happened during this entire moment.

I see what you mean. But that is something what is not in the fighters hands. The UFC decided to hype the shit outta Conor and outta this fight. With the world tour and all the promo's and TUF, etc. When you talk about Ali's legacy, it's because off the things he did as a person. Not only as a boxer. That with the fact that he fought the best of the best. It's a whole different story. If everybody will remember Aldo by this fight I feel very sad for him.

Saying this I suddenly feel like the UFC is going for the Frazier - Ali promo during Aldo - Conor.. :icon_chee

No one is calling Conor a can, their saying that he is not Aldo's most significant opponent.
In saying that it implies that Aldo is not fighting cans.

you're missing my point. People love to talk shit on here about fighters in hindsight and discredit their accomplishments.

Nothing much. Mcgregor is a nobody. It's like what beating Chael did for JBJ's legacy.

For his legacy ... McGregor will not do too much if Aldo beats him.

But for his bank account ... McGregor will do a ton for Aldo's career.

In this fight, McGregor has everything to gain and nothing to lose. Sadly enough, it's the complete opposite for Aldo. When he wins, a "W" over McGregor does very little. Conor's string of impressive wins need to continue when he fights the higher tier of the FW division for it to have meant anything for Aldo.

It would be a signature moment whether Aldo fans want to admit it or not. Conor is a guy who brings tons of attention, money, hype, and credibility with his win over Mendes

Hindsight is 20/20 tho, I guess Conor could crash and burn, go on a losing streak, and then nobody would care

No one will really care about Aldo regardless, his legacy is pretty boring and he won't really be remembered when it comes down to it

PkXY4b4.png

either guy winning would be huge

Amazing to know machidas number 1 fan suffers from a mental disorder.

Ah that is true.
Gotcha.

I don't think anything will really change. If Aldo wins, people will clamor for him to move up in weight. If Conor wins, his fans will just talk a ton of trash. This rivalry seems very similar to Chael/AS to me.

Back