Media "I will box whether UFC likes it or not"

The problem is Dana can't really do that without setting a precedent.

Once Dana hands out one single UFC contract with little to no limitations on fighters independently organizing boxing bouts (with zero UFC involvement or profit from the bout), then he's opened pandora's box. Every fighter is going to start demanding that same contract and it's going to be difficult to stop it.

boxing companys if they dont all fights they dont fight either.

Unless you have a belt, the sanctioning bodies have no say on who you fight. Deontay Wilder recently said he is going to ignore the order to fight Andy Ruiz in a title eliminator and fight Anthony Joshua instead. He’s going after the bigger payday and there’s nothing the sanctioning bodies can do about it because he has no belt to strip. It’s the same reason they’ve all shown interest in boxing Francis, it’s a potentially big payday. You’re probably right about the hybrid fight, though. Joe Joyce has said he’s interested in boxing Francis but only boxing.

francis only makes money fighting fury. so after that fight an francis get smoked who gone pay to see francis box some on name can on a no name top ranked boxing event.

francis only makes money fighting fury. so after that fight an francis get smoked who gone pay to see francis box some on name can on a no name top ranked boxing event.

After that fight he would never need to fight again. Nobody going to pay to see Francis again because he will be retired like Conor.

After that fight he would never need to fight again. Nobody going to pay to see Francis again because he will be retired like Conor.

there is no way francis vs fury makes anything close to what conor vs floyd did. what helped conor get the money he has now is cause of the floyd money he costarted proper 12 which he turned an cost for 600 million. you really think francis can start a company an it have the same world wide impact as thing conor did?

He has zero leverage in this situation, he is not dictating the terms. I’m surprised that Dana hasn’t already stripped his title

Franny should just fucking box and come back to ufc if he still has any brains left.

If Francis fights Fury he won’t need to fight others. They’re only relevant if the Fury fight falls through

Interesting situation for the UFC with the new sunset clause provisions. Everyone points to the precedent that would be set if they let Francis box. But letting him walk also sets a different precedent. And there's no reason it would be limited to HW. Any champ with outside opportunities will be in a position to confront the UFC, especially if they manage to defeat a challenger selected to depose them.

In fact, non-champ high profile fighter Nate Diaz took advantage of the sunset clause recently.

It is a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: * in the UFC's armor that they felt compelled to introduce.

* Just noticed the ludicrous censor icons inserted into my post.
I think this might break the dam!
Meaning end the exclusivity contract. because no top fighter will sign an exclusive contract if they allow Francis to box.
All top fighters will demand the same during renegotiations.
It will take time, but if they yield, they will lose. but then again, if they don't they will lose their HW champ.... again, it will be VERY interesting.

He has zero leverage in this situation, he is not dictating the terms. I’m surprised that Dana hasn’t already stripped his title
He has all the leverage. He's got 1 fight left on his contract. If the UFC doesn't give him what he wants, he vacates his belt & fights 1 more fight to be free. The UFC are required to offer him fights, so they can't just keep him on the roster without ever fighting.

Dana isn't stripping him because he's hoping to re-sign Ngannou to another UFC contract, but he'll never agree to a boxing clause. Either Dana gives him enough money on an MMA contract so he doesn't have to box (doubtful), or we probably don't see Ngannou in the UFC much longer.

how can something be restarted that never was a thking in the first place.
It was something. He didn't just say zuffa boxing and leave it at that. He started a company and tried to get it off the ground unsuccessfully. Probably trademarked the name too. These dudes don't just say stuff when it comes to major business announcements.

If Francis fights Fury he won’t need to fight others. They’re only relevant if the Fury fight falls through

you do get francis wouldnt gert 50 to 100 million like conor. francis vs fury wouldnt sell 4.6 million ppvs.

It was something. He didn't just say zuffa boxing and leave it at that. He started a company and tried to get it off the ground unsuccessfully. Probably trademarked the name too. These dudes don't just say stuff when it comes to major business announcements.

a trade mark means nothing. wearingf a shirt means nothing. so i missed where was a zuffa boxing fight card in vegas? o wait i know there wasnt one cause there wasnt gone be zuffa boxing.

And the thing is, his windmilling will only be good for a few rounds. I'd hate to see another Connor situation where he actually looks decent but really loses to cardio.
I think he's too fast twitch and loses to cardio after the 5th round.
And yes, it doesn't help the UFC at all for him to embarrass himself.
That doesn't mean I agree they should be able to do it though. How they call fighters independent contractors but they can limit their income from other means is incomprehensible to me.
If he truly wants to box I think he needs to set aside ALL MMA training and train boxing exclusively. Let his UFC contract expire and go after his dream.
Or, let his contract expire and sign with Bellator or One. I believe they will let him box.
But for him to think he can be the UFC champ AND box? No. The UFC won't do it. It would set a precedent and every single fighter would want that provision. And how do you put that in only one fighter's contract and exclude everyone else without lawsuits?
Every UFC champ from WW to LHW would be calling out Jake Paul.
You're preaching to the choir. Ngannou should've dropped/retired to focus on boxing if he wants to box.
But Ngannou knows no one wants to see Ngannou vs Fury. People want to see the ufc hw champ vs fury. So Ngannou needs to keep that title to make his goal of boxing come true.

You're preaching to the choir. Ngannou should've dropped/retired to focus on boxing if he wants to box.
But Ngannou knows no one wants to see Ngannou vs Fury. People want to see the ufc hw champ vs fury. So Ngannou needs to keep that title to make his goal of boxing come true.
Good point.
Guaranteed ko.
But a wonderful payday.
UFC is evil to keep him from his $.
Should sue based upon McGregor being allowed to do it. Doesn't that set a precedent? But darn they took a chunk too didn't they?

Good point.
Guaranteed ko.
But a wonderful payday.
Should sue based upon McGregor being allowed to do it. Doesn't that set a precedent? But darn they took a chunk too didn't they?
So what people forget is that the ufc acted as McGregor's management in the MayMac fight. Yeah the deal was for about $100 mil (I think $88 mil to be exact) and the ufc got the money first and paid Conor. Conor made 30-35 mil and the ufc kept the rest. That's why the ufc let McGregor do it because the ufc was directly profiting from it.

Ngannou sounds like he wants to box, cut out the ufc completely, wear the ufc belt to the match and keep the lion's share of the money to himself. That's not how things work in business.

Well he controls the cards. If the UFC doesn't like it, then he can just go boxing wherever he wants to and I am sure Bellator will gladly let him fight MMA.

Or Dana can let him box and fight in the UFC.

It is his choice.

So what people forget is that the ufc acted as McGregor's management in the MayMac fight. Yeah the deal was for about $100 mil (I think $88 mil to be exact) and the ufc got the money first and paid Conor. Conor made 30-35 mil and the ufc kept the rest. That's why the ufc let McGregor do it because the ufc was directly profiting from it.

Ngannou sounds like he wants to box, cut out the ufc completely, wear the ufc belt to the match and keep the lion's share of the money to himself. That's not how things work in business.
I would wear a cardboard belt.

But yes, using their name and brand which really helped get him into the ring.
Then Ngannou should let his contract expire.

Good point.
Guaranteed ko.
But a wonderful payday.

Not evil at all. The UFC is in the right for not allowing him to box.

The UFC has been his promoter for 7 years and to be quite frank, they've made Francis who he is. Of course he's the fighter and he's certainly built himself up with performances and becoming the best HW in the world. But it's the fact he's doing with the UFC and its their status + promotional ability that has made him a star. The only reason this fight is be being considered is because he's with the UFC. If he was the ONE Fc or Bellator champ, this wouldn't even be on the table.

It's one thing is Francis ends his career with the UFC and moves on to boxing. But it's another if he's still the champ and with the organization. He's got duties to fulfill and it's not the UFC priority for him to box somewhere else and get a pay day.

May/Mac was a one of. They tried it and Dana said he wouldn't do it again. And Francis just isn't Conor.

I enjoyed May/Mac a lot and it was fun. But as a mma fan, it held up the divisions and wasn't great for the sport. It was great for Conor.

Back