Media "I will box whether UFC likes it or not"

Really? He is on the verge of being the Undisputed Reigning UFC HW Champion AND being a Free Agent. It's the ideal situation as far as negotiating leverage.
He was in a good spot last year when he won the title and he showed up at Fury's fight. Fury went back to defending his belt again so that fight is most likely done. There was a reason he had to retire to pursue to a mixed rules fight with Francis. Sanctioning bodies aren't going to let him fight Francis with title challengers waiting.

You have a Wilder matchup that might replace that fight. If he fights Wilder then he most likely can't get the Fury fight afterwards with a loss. I don't believe Wilder is interested in a mixed fight rules fight. Whatever route he does in terms of UFC or Boxing seems like a one and done. He loses in the UFC then promotion will continue to grind him and he is worthless in boxing as an ex champion. I believe he is leaning towards going back to the UFC. Francis released some training footage and he is training MMA.

Could happen? I would think he'll only have a couple of big paydays in boxing, unless he surprises and beats some big names. He could come back to the UFC, or maybe PFL or Bellator would pick him up. They're likely to be much more forgiving than Dana would be at that point LOL.
Pretty sure the only fight he's chasing in Boxing is Tyson Fury. And once that goes terribly he wont get any more fights in boxing. Well, he might still get some fights but they wont be worth a fuck.

Pretty sure the foreign workers from my example did lol

I’m not talking about African slaves back in the Abraham Lincoln era…

Try and keep up.

Aw , so there are different versions of the term 'slave' ?

Same premise though...

Qataris invite skilled workers to come to their organization and work for them by wooing them with money and a career.

Once they arrive, the Qataris sign them into ironclad contracts and take all their rights away from them.

Leaving them no option to make money elsewhere until they fulfil their required contract stipulations.

Doesn't matter if workers get injured, hurt, are struggling, suffering etc... They expect them to finish their contract...

What's the difference between that and Dana and his UFC fighters? <{Heymansnicker}>

The migrant workers in Qatar definitely have it much worse than UFC fighters. More than 6500 have died since 2010 on construction projects in Qatar. Not trying to minimize their plight. Just sharing some similarities.
Cringe and stupid. My god.

Sounds like exactly what he's pushing for, no? I hope all of us who say a fighter's contract is their decision to sign are backing his play here.
Yeah that's crazy how all the "don't-sign-the-contract-if-you-don't-like-it" bandwagon turns again a fighter as soon as he does just that.

Yeah let the world see our HW champ, the man we promoted as the baddest man on the planet, get embarrassed in a boxing ring.

That doesn't hurt the ufc's image right?
And the thing is, his windmilling will only be good for a few rounds. I'd hate to see another Connor situation where he actually looks decent but really loses to cardio.
I think he's too fast twitch and loses to cardio after the 5th round.
And yes, it doesn't help the UFC at all for him to embarrass himself.
That doesn't mean I agree they should be able to do it though. How they call fighters independent contractors but they can limit their income from other means is incomprehensible to me.
If he truly wants to box I think he needs to set aside ALL MMA training and train boxing exclusively. Let his UFC contract expire and go after his dream.
Or, let his contract expire and sign with Bellator or One. I believe they will let him box.
But for him to think he can be the UFC champ AND box? No. The UFC won't do it. It would set a precedent and every single fighter would want that provision. And how do you put that in only one fighter's contract and exclude everyone else without lawsuits?
Every UFC champ from WW to LHW would be calling out Jake Paul.

He was in a good spot last year when he won the title and he showed up at Fury's fight. Fury went back to defending his belt again so that fight is most likely done. There was a reason he had to retire to pursue to a mixed rules fight with Francis. Sanctioning bodies aren't going to let him fight Francis with title challengers waiting.

You have a Wilder matchup that might replace that fight. If he fights Wilder then he most likely can't get the Fury fight afterwards with a loss. I don't believe Wilder is interested in a mixed fight rules fight. Whatever route he does in terms of UFC or Boxing seems like a one and done. He loses in the UFC then promotion will continue to grind him and he is worthless in boxing as an ex champion. I believe he is leaning towards going back to the UFC. Francis released some training footage and he is training MMA.

He is about to experience the benefit of negotiating with free agency looming, while being at the top of his profession. It's a recipe proven to give athletes as much leverage as possible in contract negotiations.

It really doesn't matter whether it's the UFC, Belator, Powerslap, BKFC, Triller, someone else, or any combination of the above. Frank is about to get paid quite handsomely, and it's because he put himself in the strongest negotiating position there is. At no point in his current contract did he have as much leverage as he has right now.

Who is he going to box? I think he should be a little careful. Hope this goes well for him

Yeah that's crazy how all the "don't-sign-the-contract-if-you-don't-like-it" bandwagon turns again a fighter as soon as he does just that.
Clearly, they secretly wish ill on these fighters. If they're in a contract they don't like, these guys pile onto them. If they hold out for a contract they do like, these guys pile on to them.

They probably watch the sport just to see these ppl get hurt?

Shite... Ngannou's team is on a mission. That's a nasty hit on Dana and the UFC.
Not sure they want to re sign.

“Well, this is the plan [to fight Jones in March 2023], but when you make a plan, you have to go step by step,” Ngannou told Combate. “Let’s settle the contract first. It is still pending [the renewal of contract with the UFC]. We’re still working on it. We’re not finished yet. I’ve always wanted to stay in the UFC. I just want things the right way. I just want a better [contract] structure to have a better future. I’m excited. I’m excited to get back to the Octagon, but in good condition, with a good structure. It would be a good money fight. But there are many money fights. They can have many money fights.

“I have to be [allowed to fight boxing on my next contract],” he concluded. “It’s my decision, whether they like it or not. I want to box. I’m going to box because I’m free and I decide what I’m going to do in the future.”

full article : https://www.mmamania.com/2022/11/29...-expects-jon-jones-march-negotiations-pan-out

gettyimages-1365957889.jpg

I am very intrigued of the outcome of this "dispute".
The UFC tried their best card (Gane) and failed.
But if they yield to Francis, this will open up for all fighters.
On the other hand, they don't want to let their HW champ, in his prime, just leave...

So what will gonna be????

I am very intrigued of the outcome of this "dispute".
The UFC tried their best card (Gane) and failed.
But if they yield to Francis, this will open up for all fighters.
On the other hand, they don't want to let their HW champ, in his prime, just leave...

So what will gonna be????
Interesting situation for the UFC with the new sunset clause provisions. Everyone points to the precedent that would be set if they let Francis box. But letting him walk also sets a different precedent. And there's no reason it would be limited to HW. Any champ with outside opportunities will be in a position to confront the UFC, especially if they manage to defeat a challenger selected to depose them.

In fact, non-champ high profile fighter Nate Diaz took advantage of the sunset clause recently.

It is a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: * in the UFC's armor that they felt compelled to introduce.

* Just noticed the ludicrous censor icons inserted into my post.

That's why I said resurrect. Bring it back to life as a boxing management company and make Francis the first signee. Don't try to be a promoter.

how can something be restarted that never was a thking in the first place.

Back