I think its obvious that if you dont have reach and size you cant beat Jones

yekmurat

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Jones really has great body type for the sport and he uses it perfectly...DC has the wrestling,heavy hands and a lot of HW experience to beat Jones but they didnt work...At the end if you want to beat Jones just being skilled and supertough wont be enough you also have to be as big as him...So mid size LHW s with belt hopes needs to recheck their goals no doubt about it...

Last edited:
I totally disagree. You just have to be good enough. Make your body type work for you. Shorter reach is a disadvantage but it isn't everything.

No. it's not. If you can't fight at a distance that makes Jones uncomfortable, you can't beat Jones. DC started losing badly when he was backing up too much and coming straight forward and not at an angle. He slowed down and couldn't keep up what was bringing him success in the second.

I'm getting pretty rustled with everymen on sherdog just spamming talk about reach. It has its disadvantages. Gus was lighting Jones up when he was coming at him at angles. a guy, jack slack, got goat, me, a few others who actually know what they were talking about were discussing this earlier. Please sherdog, stop with the striking threads based on the dumb shit and stats that Rogan and Goldy spam

Yeah his Size definitely gives him a big advantage over most LHW's.

Rumble is an interesting match up though, he isn't too much smaller than Jones and packs one hell of a punch, and of course Gus RM will be fun.

I don't think so. If anything DC showed the opposite. Despite 12 inch reach disadvantage he showed with a good jab, that popped Jon numerous times, and footwork you can close the distance and get into the pocket. He didn't just lumber around and follow him like Rampage or stalk from the outside like Rashad, he straight up stuck to Jon and stayed in striking range ready to defend and counter. He hit him with good shots from there.

Jon was just the better fighter.

But DC spent the majority of the fight inside Jones' reach?

The problem with Jones is that he knows how to use his reach advantage but he's also good in close range/clinch. Usually, tall guys can't fight well in short range.

No one in the top 10 right now will beat Jones, it's not just his height and size its his sheer talent and will. And I for one hate Jon Jones so much.

If Gus (the only person with similar reach) gets the rematch I think Jones takes him down plenty and works him standing. I just don't think Gus will ever get that close to beating Jones again.

Why? DC got inside and was landing. He just wasn't able to keep doing that. Jones certainly look vulnerable when he got tied up and getting hit.

DC did good, I felt it was a great fight until DC just completely gassed from Jones' body work. You could actually see his punches losing their snap and going way slower.

No. it's not. If you can't fight at a distance that makes Jones uncomfortable, you can't beat Jones. DC started losing badly when he was backing up too much and coming straight forward and not at an angle. He slowed down and couldn't keep up what was bringing him success in the second.

I'm getting pretty rustled with everymen on sherdog just spamming talk about reach. It has its disadvantages. Gus was lighting Jones up when he was coming at him at angles. a guy, jack slack, got goat, me, a few others who actually know what they were talking about were discussing this earlier. Please sherdog, stop with the striking threads based on the dumb shit and stats that Rogan and Goldy spam

Its not just reach maybe I need to correct the title...Its size advantage as I mention at the end of the post,DC is top notch fighter in my mind who did great against HW division which means a lot...How did Jones beat him did he used some sick skills,IMO no he used his reach when the striking department and he used his size in the clinch game and against takedown defence his size was a big factor too..Do I say Jones is not skilled?hell no he is one of a kind I say being skilled against him isnt enough to beat him you need to be as big as him too...

I disagree. A very good striker who knows how to close the distance, use angles and get out of range will give Jones problems, and not necessarily a 6'5 82" reach guy.

Teixeira tagged Jones a few times and didn't have any problem closing the distance (Jones actually beat him at the short range), DC too. The problem is that there is not too many quality strikers who can do that at LHW (maybe Rumble, and of course Gus).

I disagree. A very good striker who knows how to close the distance, use angles and get out of range will give Jones problems, and not necessarily a 6'5 82" reach guy.

Teixeira tagged Jones a few times and didn't have any problem closing the distance (Jones actually beat him at the short range). The problem is that there is not too many quality strikers who can do that at LHW (maybe Rumble, and of course Gus).

So where s that skilled striker???He fought Machida he fought Glover he fought Belfort,DC???did he have problem hell no so you expect a K1 level guy???too bad k1 level striking is a myth for MMA

Its no coincidence that Jones' toughest fight was Gustafsson - also by far the tallest, rangiest fighter Jones has ever fought.

Once you negate his massive reach, he becomes beatable.

Height and reach is the holy grail? It has no drawbacks? Nonsense.

Its no coincidence that Jones' toughest fight was Gustafsson - also by far the tallest, rangiest fighter Jones has ever fought.

Once you negate his massive reach, he becomes beatable.

Or it could be that Gus is the legitimate #1 contender, a position that he earned through defeating his opponents, and that his status as the #1 contender should (in theory) make him the toughest fight for the champ...just a thought.

I thought Cormier did great. In my opinion he did better than Gustaffson, Jones was losing until he did the wall n stall on Cormier in the Championship rounds.

DC did good, I felt it was a great fight until DC just completely gassed from Jones' body work. You could actually see his punches losing their snap and going way slower.

Yep for sure. It was neck and neck until the 4th. People keep acting like it was total domination,it clearly wasn't. Plain and simple DC gassed out and lost his strength and will in 4 and 5. With equal cardio these guys are pretty even.

Last edited:
read killing the king by Jack Slack , Lateral movement is the only way to beat JJ, plodding forward will never do it.

I don't believe you have to be built like Jones to beat him I still think Machida had the best movement against him and Gus showed movement combined with lateral rhythm and busy hands can touch Jon somewhere between the two lies the riddle to defeat Jon Jones.

Back