I rewatched Nate Diaz vs Benson

It was a mental block, fear of getting hurt because his vision wasn't fully there. Benson would've won regardless, but I believe it would've stayed competitive.

Yep. If we extend what happened in round 1 to all 5 rounds then Benson wins a decision meekly. After the eye injury he gets to kick Nate Diaz's ass but still not finish. How he can't finish a fighter that can't see properly I don't know, but that's his style I guess.

I think not quitting has ruined Nate's reputation quite extensively though, he will need to string another 3 or 4 fights like the Miller/Cerrone fight to get another chance now. I can't see Benson beating someone like Maynard.

Well you might get punched in the eye if you get into a fight, what's the point of complaining about it weeks later?

Well you might get punched in the eye if you get into a fight, what's the point of complaining about it weeks later?

Quite simple. Quitting due to eye injury at the end of round 1 vs getting dominated for 4 rounds after affects a fighters standing?

Yep. If we extend what happened in round 1 to all 5 rounds then Benson wins a decision meekly. After the eye injury he gets to kick Nate Diaz's ass but still not finish. How he can't finish a fighter that can't see properly I don't know, but that's his style I guess.

I think not quitting has ruined Nate's reputation quite extensively though, he will need to string another 3 or 4 fights like the Miller/Cerrone fight to get another chance now. I can't see Benson beating someone like Maynard.

He tried to finish, threw down. It's just hard as hell to put Nate or Nick away.

UFC likes Nate though. He needs to win some fights, but his style puts him ahead of many other contenders when the race is close. Many wins regardless, LW has a lot of contenders.

I think Bendo's speed will give Gray problems if they meet.

I think Bendo's speed will give Gray problems if they meet.

Yah? I think Maynard will be able to hold him down, I think he has better wrestling than him and more power in his punches. Would be an interesting fight regardless, hopefully they book it if Maynard wins his next.

Quite simple. Quitting due to eye injury at the end of round 1 vs getting dominated for 4 rounds after affects a fighters standing?

Okay then, let's start up this conversation every time someone gets hurt, rocked, etc. in a fight. Questioning 'what if' is only valid in a bad decision or stoppage and even then it makes you looks like a whiner and sore loser. It's part of the business, suck it up and move on.

Okay then, let's start up this conversation every time someone gets hurt, rocked, etc. in a fight. Questioning 'what if' is only valid in a bad decision or stoppage and even then it makes you looks like a whiner and sore loser. It's part of the business, suck it up and move on.

Except if the ref or doctor knew the true extent of Nate's injury they would have ended the fight, just like a fighter getting hit repeatedly on the ground.

I'm not saying Benson shouldn't have got the win, he should have, it's just bad decision making by Nate to continue on injured and getting dominated. It ruins his reputation a lot more than quitting due to injury.

I think Nate would have won that fight if he didn't lose.

Yah? I think Maynard will be able to hold him down, I think he has better wrestling than him and more power in his punches. Would be an interesting fight regardless, hopefully they book it if Maynard wins his next.

Holding him down would be the first time, Bendo's probably the best scrambler at LW and is also strong like Gray. Bendo's the better striker. Gray has tighter boxing, but that isn't amazing and won't be enough, imo.

He always has a chance because of his power, and I def want to see that fight, but think Bendo can neutralize his striking and wrestling by kicks, movement and scrambles; throw fast, strong strikes to connect first, and also can submit Gray.

I hope Pettis beats Cerrone so that Bendo/Pettis 2 can happen.

yeah i saw that video on youtube that your talking about to. its of cesar gracie talking about nate's "eye" injury in the first round. i hate eye injuries because it is a legit excuse when your fighting someone but it still is annoying.

Except if the ref or doctor knew the true extent of Nate's injury they would have ended the fight, just like a fighter getting hit repeatedly on the ground.

I'm not saying Benson shouldn't have got the win, he should have, it's just bad decision making by Nate to continue on injured and getting dominated. It ruins his reputation a lot more than quitting due to injury.

right but i dont think a diaz bro would ever quit a fight, or tell a doctor/ref that they couldnt see or there arm was broken. they would just go out there and keep fighting.

right but i dont think a diaz bro would ever quit a fight, or tell a doctor/ref that they couldnt see or there arm was broken. they would just go out there and keep fighting.

Yep, but it's not a smart move really is it? Nate could have got a rematch and possibly beat Benson when fully recovered. Now he'll have to wade through another 3-4 fights to get another chance and Bendo likely won't be there anymore anyhow.

absolutely, the legality of the blow of course. But that's not the point being made. The point is how the performance may have been affected by vision problems.

Like I said Bendo hit him with a great shot, you cant take anything away from him. He legally caused the impairment, I just think it's acceptable to assume that we could see a different fight without said impairment. TS is getting shit on for making a reasonable analysis.

Benson landed multiple hard shots on the ground, rocked him twice standing, head kicked him a couple of times, those shots all landed on nates face, now Nate only head some problems with his eye, he had no broken nose, he wasn't cut badly, nore did his eyes completely swell up, in my honest opinion, he's fairly lucky that the only thing that happened was some blurryness to the eye

his reputation... what happened the last time a fighter quit in a title fight? people weren't calling BJ a warrior for throwing in the towel, they were laughing at him, the diaz bro's are known for toughness, yet you think him quitting after blurry vision would have made him lose less respect...

15070337-confused-businessman-with-gesture-on-his-face-isolated-on-white.jpg

Same thing for Koscheck - GSP, right? Witout the punch in the eye, Kos takes this fight 9 out of 10 times, is that it?

This is hilarious for the fact that it's essentially exactly what the TS said. Diaz fans are unbelievable. Right up there with the Penn and Shogun crowd. Thank god Fedor retired too.

At the height of Fedor fandom I saw a thread called "Fedor vs Grizzly who wins?"

To which one poster replied is the bear trained in MMA, while some actually said Fedor especially if he got it's back. The bear could kill him by simply falling on him ffs. I was flamed for calling out these people as clowns lol.

Unbelievable. I wasn't even on these Sherdog at that time, but I was reading stupid shit like that on other boards.

Benson landed multiple hard shots on the ground, rocked him twice standing, head kicked him a couple of times, those shots all landed on nates face, now Nate only head some problems with his eye, he had no broken nose, he wasn't cut badly, nore did his eyes completely swell up, in my honest opinion, he's fairly lucky that the only thing that happened was some blurryness to the eye

Were all these shots you're referring to in the first round? I would need to go back and re-watch,but I believe the point is a hard shot directly to the eye in the first round is the culprit for the blurred vision.
I dont see how damage he didn't receive subsequent to the vision impairment are relevant to the initial point, other than he did well at minimising damage with limited vision?
If he was taking a lot of shots prior to the "eye shot" in question then yes, it's reasonable to assume that the blurred vision didn't factor in greatly. I'll need to re-watch, was wasted the first time.

If Bendo hurt Nate bad enough to get the advantage, then its the same thing imo. Also Bendo had the right game plan, hurt eye or not he would have probably dominated for 5 rounds using his leg kicks and strength advantage.

Were all these shots you're referring to in the first round? I would need to go back and re-watch,but I believe the point is a hard shot directly to the eye in the first round is the culprit for the blurred vision.
I dont see how damage he didn't receive subsequent to the vision impairment are relevant to the initial point, other than he did well at minimising damage with limited vision?
If he was taking a lot of shots prior to the "eye shot" in question then yes, it's reasonable to assume that the blurred vision didn't factor in greatly. I'll need to re-watch, was wasted the first time.

that's a good point, but he did land some heavy shots in the first, it isn't shocking that one of them did some lengthy damage, but thank you for noting that, i lost a little bit of track with the actual threads point somewhere along the line

Now my memory of this fight is Nate getting completely dominated and he did for 4 rounds.

However in the first round in the clinch Nate wasn't dominated. There was very little ground action and what little there was saw Nate get up almost immediately, Benson couldn't hold him down in round 1.

*THEN* Nate Diaz gets punched in the eye end of round 1 and the fight completely changes.

I attribute the domination Benson put on Nate down to 2 possible reasons. The eye punch made him unable to fight properly, most likely. Second is he gassed from all the wrestling, considering he is known for his cardio it seems unlikely. People should rewatch that first round and see how competitive Nate was. I still think Benson won the first round but only barely. If Nate had no eye injury he may have ended up doing what a lot of people thought, subbing in the 4th or 5th round after tiring benson.

I just now rewatched the first couple rounds. When did the eye injury occur. Benson starts to get a noticeable grappling advantage at the 2 min mark on the clock.

Other things that argue against your point are that if Diaz lost vision in one eye he would have taken the fight to the ground intentionally, and he would have tried harder to finish the knee bar.

I'm not saying you don't have a theory worth talking about, but I'm not sure if your proof is at all there.

Back