I rewatched Nate Diaz vs Benson

Now my memory of this fight is Nate getting completely dominated and he did for 4 rounds.

However in the first round in the clinch Nate wasn't dominated. There was very little ground action and what little there was saw Nate get up almost immediately, Benson couldn't hold him down in round 1.

*THEN* Nate Diaz gets punched in the eye end of round 1 and the fight completely changes.

I attribute the domination Benson put on Nate down to 2 possible reasons. The eye punch made him unable to fight properly, most likely. Second is he gassed from all the wrestling, considering he is known for his cardio it seems unlikely. People should rewatch that first round and see how competitive Nate was. I still think Benson won the first round but only barely. If Nate had no eye injury he may have ended up doing what a lot of people thought, subbing in the 4th or 5th round after tiring benson.

Like my sig says, from now on, no punching to the face. We need to keep these fights competitive.

just to clear things up.

If Nate didn't get punched in the face by Henderson he would have done better?

This is hilarious for the fact that it's essentially exactly what the TS said. Diaz fans are unbelievable. Right up there with the Penn and Shogun crowd. Thank god Fedor retired too.

At the height of Fedor fandom I saw a thread called "Fedor vs Grizzly who wins?"

To which one poster replied is the bear trained in MMA, while some actually said Fedor especially if he got it's back. The bear could kill him by simply falling on him ffs. I was flamed for calling out these people as clowns lol.

I dont see why everyone has such a problem with someone pointing out something which may have affected the course of the fight.

TS Didn't seem to be saying Nate would have won if he didn't get hit in the eye and suffer impaired vision, merely it is probable that it affected Nates performance. Totally fair statement and acceptable analysis.

People dont argue(seriously) that Shields would fair as well against GSP in the standup sans the eye poke if they fought again. It's just as legitimate to argue the possibility of a different fight, and perhaps a more competitive one between Nate and Bendo without Diaz suffering vision impairment.

The shot was a legal blow, Bendo looked fantastic, nobody is disputing that. But to dismiss the probable effect on Nates performance it had as a non-factor is illogical.

Agreed he put on a domination after round 1. I would have preferred watching two fighters go at it without such an eye injury taking place but alas it did. Nate had the same thing happen to him in reverse on the Ultimate Fighter when the guy did his shoulder during a fight.

The fight would have looked exactly the same with or without that punch. Bendo's wrestling would have still been too much..and that first round was called imposing your game plan. What happened for the rest of the fight is the result of an excellent execution of it and the aftermath of good gameplanning

I dont see why everyone has such a problem with someone pointing out something which may have affected the course of the fight.

TS Didn't seem to be saying Nate would have won if he didn't get hit in the eye and suffer impaired vision, merely it is probable that it affected Nates performance. Totally fair statement and acceptable analysis.

People dont argue(seriously) that Shields would fair as well against GSP in the standup sans the eye poke if they fought again. It's just as legitimate to argue the possibility of a different fight, and perhaps a more competitive one between Nate and Bendo without Diaz suffering vision impairment.

The shot was a legal blow, Bendo looked fantastic, nobody is disputing that. But to dismiss the probable effect on Nates performance it had as a non-factor is illogical.

There's a difference between an eye-poke and face-punch though right?

Without the punch to the eye, it would've been a close fight, judging from the first 4 minutes of the fight before the punch. But the punch was legal so it's like saying Belfort could've beaten the Spider if he hadn't been front kicked - it's a silly thing to say.

No one is denying the punch happened. All I'm saying is people are making out like Bendo tooled Diaz in a "fair manner" when Diaz was injured in the fight. It would be like Diaz beating up Manny Gamburyan after he damaged his shoulder, instead Manny tapped out and that's the end of it.

If Diaz quit after round 1 due to the eye injury what would people be saying right now? They'd be saying it was a close fight and an injury happened. Because Diaz fought on and got dominated now people act like it would happen time and time again. It doesn't seem so and round 1 is the proof.

I wonder what hurts more?
A 'Stockton bitch slap' or a Henderson 'I can do whatever I damn well please thigh punch'.

This is hilarious for the fact that it's essentially exactly what the TS said. Diaz fans are unbelievable. Right up there with the Penn and Shogun crowd. Thank god Fedor retired too.

At the height of Fedor fandom I saw a thread called "Fedor vs Grizzly who wins?"

To which one poster replied is the bear trained in MMA, while some actually said Fedor especially if he got it's back. The bear could kill him by simply falling on him ffs. I was flamed for calling out these people as clowns lol.

Hahahaha!

I don't think people understand exactly how big and strong other animals are. A fucking chimp could literally rip your arms off.

I lost all respect for bendo in that fight, and i'm not even a fan of nate. when he holds your legs and punches you in the calf...yeah thats the shit i don't like. i understand attacking the legs, but those were the weakest punches. doubt any strat was involved in that. just benson being a gsp like champion. affraid to go for the finish, and kill time while trying to look dominate with soft tactics.

Top 10 dumbest posts ever

Totally. I'm just saying it affected Nate so greatly that he went from being fairly even in round 1 to Nate wanting to stay on the ground and even falling over himself so that he could grapple and see with his hands.

The shot was legal and the eye injury happened. This said people are taking way too much out of this fight than they should. Most shertards think the eye injury had nothing to do with the performance. It's embarrassing.

No one is denying the punch happened. All I'm saying is people are making out like Bendo tooled Diaz in a "fair manner" when Diaz was injured in the fight. It would be like Diaz beating up Manny Gamburyan after he damaged his shoulder, instead Manny tapped out and that's the end of it.

If Diaz quit after round 1 due to the eye injury what would people be saying right now? They'd be saying it was a close fight and an injury happened. Because Diaz fought on and got dominated now people act like it would happen time and time again. It doesn't seem so and round 1 is the proof.

U r the biggest nuthugger ive seen. the injury happened cuz of a fuckin punch to the fuckin face he got lucky it wasnt connected to his jaw he would have got ktfo. now just go back to ur That209 account its so obvious

There's a difference between an eye-poke and face-punch though right?

absolutely, the legality of the blow of course. But that's not the point being made. The point is how the performance may have been affected by vision problems.

Like I said Bendo hit him with a great shot, you cant take anything away from him. He legally caused the impairment, I just think it's acceptable to assume that we could see a different fight without said impairment. TS is getting shit on for making a reasonable analysis.

U r the biggest nuthugger ive seen. the injury happened cuz of a fuckin punch to the fuckin face he got lucky it wasnt connected to his jaw he would have got ktfo. now just go back to ur That209 account its so obvious

The difference is you can legitimately quit from an injury during a fight. All I'm asking people like you is to think what would people be saying about this fight if it did end at round 1 after Diaz quits due to eye injury? There would have been no domination.

The difference is you can legitimately quit from an injury during a fight. All I'm asking people like you is to think what would people be saying about this fight if it did end at round 1 after Diaz quits due to eye injury? There would have been no domination.

U r fuckin weird

Dbags like rl4090526 can't think outside the box. it's clear to me that whatever happend to his eye caused his game to be thrown off. and i feel where your going with this, people would probably be saying nate coulda/woulda won the fight had that not happened. instead he rather act like a bro and argue with everyone that does not think like he does.

So it was unfair that bendo landed a legal strike on his opponent causing damage that affected said opponent's ability to fight. I would argue that it is just as fair as landing a knockout punch, which also causes damage affecting the opponents ability to fight.
Nothing wrong with your post until you imply that the fight was somehow unfair. As others stated before Bendo's wrestling attack would have and most likely did wear Diaz out exposing the Diaz legendary cardio as one more aspect of the ridiculous hype machine in that camp.

I don't think he gassed instead Benson pushed harder as the fight progressed

So it was unfair that bendo landed a legal strike on his opponent causing damage that affected said opponent's ability to fight. I would argue that it is just as fair as landing a knockout punch, which also causes damage affecting the opponents ability to fight.
Nothing wrong with your post until you imply that the fight was somehow unfair. As others stated before Bendo's wrestling attack would have and most likely did wear Diaz out exposing the Diaz legendary cardio as one more aspect of the ridiculous hype machine in that camp.

Part of the fight is "unfair" in regards to one fighter obviously being injured from something during it. Refs call the match if a fighter gets hit too many times in a row on the ground. Diaz fought on and got dominated, it was his decision to fight injured. I'm not saying Benson shouldn't have got the win due to his eye punch, not at all, he should have.

I'm saying Diaz is stupid for fighting on with an injury, getting dominated and ruining his reputation. IF he quit at the end of round 1 he may have been able to get a rematch. Whereas now everyone with average IQ doesn't even factor in the circumstance of the fight and think a repeat will happen. Personally I'd like to see them rematch as eye injuries as Diaz had are relatively rare things to happen in UFC fights.

Again it's one thing to think Benson gets the win due to the eye punch. It's another to trash Nate Diaz reputation and ability due to injury.

Back