I quit my job because of random drug testing

My work has been trying to implement random drug testing for a while now, but my union is fighting it. And good, fuck them. Random testing is bullshit. Why is it any of their business if I smoke a joint on my day off?

Its not a matter of your day off. Its a matter of not being able to differentiate when the use was, and many people using it during work.

Its a liability issue and its laughable to not be able to grasp that. Would you want to be financially and legally responsible for me if you couldnt tell when I was drunk? No you wouldnt.

Whenever someone starts talking about how crazy and dangerous the world is nowadays, I lose a little respect for him/her. These people are either extremely uneducated on history or extremely sensitive to think we got it bad.
Here, here.

We're living in utopic times compared to the hell of certain previous civilizations.

Its not a matter of your day off. Its a matter of not being able to differentiate when the use was, and many people using it during work.

Its a liability issue and its laughable to not be able to grasp that. Would you want to be financially and legally responsible for me if you couldnt tell when I was drunk? No you wouldnt.

It's totally a matter of my day off. THC stays in your system for a long time. A drug test to tell if you're drunk? Gimme a break. If they have a reason to think I might be under the influence of something, that's a different story. We have to report before we start work, and they're checking you out when you report. Actually about 3 weeks ago, a guy showed up to work at 530 in the morning reeking like booze. He was still in his probation, so they fired his ass on the spot. If I rolled into work like that, I would be sent to rehab and I wouldn't be working for a long time. In addition, if I was involved in an accident at work they have the right to give me a breathalyzer and swab my mouth. But randomly? Fuck that.

Why do you think it isn't noticeable when your ability is impair by drug use? (Hey, check out Jeff. He's super laughy today. I wonder what's going on with him?) the point is, you shouldn't be on any kind of drugs when you ability is impaired, legal or illegal. Beyond that I don't need the company sticking its nose in to my life.

Maybe you should just grow up and then its not an issue.

This. Grow up, be an adult, and get fucking wasted on alcohol like the rest of the population. Age 10+ years quicker than your natural progression. Start taking medicine for your liver at middle age. Do stupid shit while drunk, strain your relationships with family and alienate your sober friends. Be a normal, accepted member of society.

Why do you think it isn't noticeable when your ability is impair by drug use? (Hey, check out Jeff. He's super laughy today. I wonder what's going on with him?) the point is, you shouldn't be on any kind of drugs when you ability is impaired, legal or illegal. Beyond that I don't need the company sticking its nose in to my life.

It's totally a matter of my day off. THC stays in your system for a long time. A drug test to tell if you're drunk? Gimme a break. If they have a reason to think I might be under the influence of something, that's a different story. We have to report before we start work, and they're checking you out when you report. Actually about 3 weeks ago, a guy showed up to work at 530 in the morning reeking like booze. He was still in his probation, so they fired his ass on the spot. If I rolled into work like that, I would be sent to rehab and I wouldn't be working for a long time. In addition, if I was involved in an accident at work they have the right to give me a breathalyzer and swab my mouth. But randomly? Fuck that.

Nonsense. A lot of people who regularly smoke can go about their day without being noticed.

And if you cant comply/dont agree with the policies no one is making you stay. Pretty simple really.

This. Grow up, be an adult, and get fucking wasted on alcohol like the rest of the population. Age 10+ years quicker than your natural progression. Start taking medicine for your liver at middle age. Do stupid shit while drunk, strain your relationships with family and alienate your sober friends. Be a normal, accepted member of society.

Yes, that's clearly what I said.

You start off commenting that weed stays in your system.

You end at saying you're cool with drug testing being done if there's an accident at work.

What if you're tested after an accident at work where there are victims and thc is in your system? The workplace may be held responsible for having some drug using dick weed under their employ and now they're on the hook.

Liability.

Random drug testing is one way to help prevent that. And that's what PUO is getting at.

Nonsense. A lot of people who regularly smoke can go about their day without being noticed.

And if you cant comply/dont agree with the policies no one is making you stay. Pretty simple really.

If someone was able to do their job their whole time with a company high and nobody ever could tell because they didn't appear to be stoned and their work didn't suffer, well honestly I would prefer that outcome than a guy who has never got high at work lose his job because he smoked a spliff on Saturday night. I much prefer the way it is at my work now, they can't test you unless they have a valid cause. If drug use is causing you to have attendance issues at work, that's somehigh to be addressed as well.

I see your pov, it's an added layer of protection for the company for liability purposes. If the lawyers could get their way all the time they would have draconian policies like random drug testing and even worse at pretty much every workplace. Thats he beauty of having a strong union though, they can't just put you in that position that you're referring to whenever they want, that position where if you don't like it you can leave. TS was in that position and he left and good on him, sounds like everything worked out just fine for him.

Yes, that's clearly what I said.

It was more directed to how society accepts and even celebrates the alcohol culture and drinking sessions, and the general hypocrisy. Apologies if it did not apply to your comment.

You start off commenting that weed stays in your system.

You end at saying you're cool with drug testing being done if there's an accident at work.

What if you're tested after an accident at work where there are victims and thc is in your system? The workplace may be held responsible for having some drug using dick weed under their employ and now they're on the hook.

Liability.

Random drug testing is one way to help prevent that. And that's what PUO is getting at.

Yea I see what you're saying. But at my work, they don't automatically test you if you have an accident, it's if they have reason to think you caused this accident due to being under the influence. They might be able to test you if you smell/appear fucked up, I'm not sure if they gave that guy a breathalyzer who showed up stinking like booze. I understand why they wanna do it, I just don't agree with it. I don't have a problem with drug tests for someone who is showing up to work on drugs or is having their drug use effect their work.

If someone was able to do their job their whole time with a company high and nobody ever could tell because they didn't appear to be stoned and their work didn't suffer, well honestly I would prefer that outcome than a guy who has never got high at work lose his job because he smoked a spliff on Saturday night. I much prefer the way it is at my work now, they can't test you unless they have a valid cause. If drug use is causing you to have attendance issues at work, that's somehigh to be addressed as well.

I see your pov, it's an added layer of protection for the company for liability purposes. If the lawyers could get their way all the time they would have draconian policies like random drug testing and even worse at pretty much every workplace. Thats he beauty of having a strong union though, they can't just put you in that position that you're referring to whenever they want, that position where if you don't like it you can leave. TS was in that position and he left and good on him, sounds like everything worked out just fine for him.

Well, a lot of times we think we arent impaired when we still are. This is true for both alcohol and pot.

I think as a society, most of us dont have an issue with recreational pot use. The issue really comes down to liability on the employer. If there were a way to test immediate impairment levels for THC impairment levels (like a blood alcohol test) I firmly believe that pot would carry the same rules in the work place that alcohol does. Maybe not for law enforcement etc jobs because of the legality issues but that is another story entirely.

I smoked for years and years but I gave it up for employment purposes. Im not sure Id pick it back up as Im an unproductive stoner, but I have no issue with others using it responsibly either. For employment purposes though I dont see how someone cant grasp the issue. You cant verify when they were or were not high. That is the problem. And if tides were turned none of us would want to put ourselves on the line for someone who may or may not be impaired either.

It was more directed to how society accepts and even celebrates the alcohol culture and drinking sessions, and the general hypocrisy. Apologies if it did not apply to your comment.

The pot taboo is wearing off in a hurry. I dont believe alcoholism is a socially acceptable behavior though, that seems to be a hyperbole that pot supporters like to use but its pretty unfounded.

Well, a lot of times we think we arent impaired when we still are. This is true for both alcohol and pot.

I think as a society, most of us dont have an issue with recreational pot use. The issue really comes down to liability on the employer. If there were a way to test immediate impairment levels for THC impairment levels (like a blood alcohol test) I firmly believe that pot would carry the same rules in the work place that alcohol does. Maybe not for law enforcement etc jobs because of the legality issues but that is another story entirely.

I smoked for years and years but I gave it up for employment purposes. Im not sure Id pick it back up as Im an unproductive stoner, but I have no issue with others using it responsibly either. For employment purposes though I dont see how someone cant grasp the issue. You cant verify when they were or were not high. That is the problem. And if tides were turned none of us would want to put ourselves on the line for someone who may or may not be impaired either.

Then essentially a drug test post-accident is meaningless anyway. If you can't prove someone was under the influence at the time, eg a breathalyzer, then you can't establish any sort of causal relationship between the accident and drug use.

I would not be willing to ever work somewhere that did random drug tests again. I'm good. I find a drug test for getting hired pretty invasive as well but I accept that as a necessary evil depending on the job.

The pot taboo is wearing off in a hurry. I dont believe alcoholism is a socially acceptable behavior though, that seems to be a hyperbole that pot supporters like to use but its pretty unfounded.

The taboo is wearing off gradually. Most would never admit to use outside their inner circle of friends. And alcoholism is socially acceptable behavior. Not a Monday goes by in your average American workplace where coworkers can't be overheard discussing some moronic thing one of them did, while wasted, over the weekend. Also, bars on every corner, booze sold/served at public functions, beer commercials at every commercial break, etc. Heck, being heavy binge-drinker for several years is damn near considered a right of passage in American society. So yeah, I think the pro-legalization crowd has a point on that one.

Back