I quit my job because of random drug testing

Then essentially a drug test post-accident is meaningless anyway. If you can't prove someone was under the influence at the time, eg a breathalyzer, then you can't establish any sort of causal relationship between the accident and drug use.

Tell that to insurers.

The taboo is wearing off gradually. Most would never admit to use outside their inner circle of friends. And alcoholism is socially acceptable behavior. Not a Monday goes by in your average American workplace where coworkers can't be overheard discussing some moronic thing one of them did, while wasted, over the weekend. Also, bars on every corner, booze sold/served at public functions, beer commercials at every commercial break, etc. Heck, being heavy binge-drinker for several years is damn near considered a right of passage in American society. So yeah, I think the pro-legalization crowd has a point on that one.

The majority of the country is ok with recreational use. That is a major jump from a time in the not distant past.

Getting drunk does not equal alcoholism. Major difference.

Way to make a stand but there are easier ways. For instance I've got a neighbor who's a father to a small child. On the weekends I sift through their garbage and wring out a handful of diapers for some clean urine.

Tell that to insurers.

Considering how inconsistently drug testing is applied, it's clear that many companies are telling that, or something like it, to insurers. Its obviously not required in most industries, and you never hear of anybody going bankrupt for not randomly drug testing, so where's the impact of this liability you're talking about? Is it something that's commonplace but so dull it doesn't make the news?

Considering how inconsistently drug testing is applied, it's clear that many companies are telling that, or something like it, to insurers. Its obviously not required in most industries, and you never hear of anybody going bankrupt for not randomly drug testing, so where's the impact of this liability you're talking about? Is it something that's commonplace but so dull it doesn't make the news?

Definitely going to depend on the industry you are working in, but an overwhelming portion of work accidents will result in a test.

Randoms seem to be more focused on particular jobs of course.

Maybe you should just grow up and then its not an issue.
Bogus. Enjoying cannabis is no different than enjoying craft beer. Your job shouldn't be able to dictate weather you should be able to enjoy a nice Imperial Red after work should they?

Bogus. Enjoying cannabis is no different than enjoying craft beer. Your job shouldn't be able to dictate weather you should be able to enjoy a nice Imperial Red after work should they?

Why a craft beer? That specificity doesn't seem to add anything to the point.

If my job required me not to drink beer I wouldnt drink beer, or I would get a job that did not care if I drank beer outside of work. I also know that if I have alcohol come up on random tests (ours include alcohol) I am in deep shit and can be fired on the spot should they choose to do so.

Again I have no issue with rec pot use. I support it having the same responsibilities as alcohol, and I think its a much lesser danger of the two in the grand scheme of impairments. But reasonably from an employment point of view I cant see how people can make a legitimate argument. There is no way concrete way to know if you are impaired from pot so they use an "all or nothing" approach to cover their ass.

I imagine if/when it becomes legal country wide some scientists will drum up a proper impairment test instead of just knowing that it is in your system.

I like Carl Sagan, but he's wrong.

There's never been a safer time to be a human in history.

Middle East today is sunshine and rainbows compared to the Medieval Middle East.

there was a time between the medieval ages and present day.

Iraq, Iran, etc pre-fundamentalist Islamic revival of the 1970s was a much more pleasant place.

Back