i like it when some of my teammates lose

We had a similar situation at my gym. We had 2 guys start at around the same time.

The one guy complained about having to be in the beginner classes because he trained MMA for almost 1 year with some 'pro fighters'. He was pretty athletic and had a good body type for BJJ and Muay Thai. He was constantly complaining to anyone that would listen that he shouldn't be in the beginner class. He had a lot of bad habits to break and most of the time he was just a touch too stubborn to listen.

The other guy started and was a 30 something year old guy with an IT job. He was shorter, overweight and had no previous training. He never complained about being in the beginner class. The first night he graduated out of the beginner program and was allowed to roll he was ROLLED UP by a 15 year old 95 lbs kid. But he kept training, lost weight, came off his blood pressure medication and did a tournament.

It just so happened that the two were in the same bracket of a double elimination tournament. The second guy with the IT job just absolutely abused the first guy, he was up 15-0 before arm barring the guy. In the finals they met up again and the second guy was up 12-0 and arm-triangled the guy again. I was never so happy to see a 'team mate' lose. The first guy was ultra cocky, had invited his girl friend and parents to the tournament and it was great to see him knocked down a peg. I was also really proud of the second guy. Later we were talking about the tournament and he told me that he went in to that match really scared because he just didn't want to lose to THAT guy. He would have been fine with losing - just not to him. LOL

The first guy no longer trains.

The second guy got his Blue Belt in DEC.

that was poetic justice

You can't get on with everyone in the world, you won't get on with everyone that trains at your gym.

There are people i'd rather not train with, and there are people that tell their stories, stories i couldn't care less about.

But i don't wish for them to do badly in a comp or in life. I respect them as training partners, and understand not everyone trains for the same reasons.

sounds like you are fortunate enough to not train with arrogant hot shots. i was naive like you until i ran into them.

Arrogant hot shots? You're the one wanting them to fail. Perhaps you're not as humble as you think.

Arrogant hot shots? You're the one wanting them to fail. Perhaps you're not as humble as you think.

yes. arrogant hot shots. they brag about defeating people in training. brag about being the best on in the gym at their belt level. talk shit about everybody.

like i said earlier your innocence is untainted.

yes. arrogant hot shots. they brag about defeating people in training. brag about being the best on in the gym at their belt level. talk shit about everybody.

like i said earlier your innocence is untainted.

Like i said, i've trained with people that i wouldn't mind never training with again.

My advice is to do your best to distance yourself, both physically and emotionally from the individuals you clearly don't like.

Like i said, i've trained with people that i wouldn't mind never training with again.

My advice is to do your best to distance yourself, both physically and emotionally from the individuals you clearly don't like.

its kind of hard when after practice they go up to you and start boasting of what they did in the gym during practice.

Guys, in another thread he announced he was a brown belt. He didn't respond after he was asked to disclose his lineage. The title of this thread may as well have been "what's up guys, SilverD here with a brand new handle!!".

Guys, as KGB256 pointed out above, envee is a troll. It's odds-on the guy has never trained a day in his life.

am i a bad person for liking it when some of my teammates lose in tournaments?

here is an example:

i know this one dude who always brags about how he beat so and so during training. he always comes up to me and says he was tapping this person out, putting a triangle on that person, etc. he would boast about how he is the toughest ____ belt in the gym. great bro your a gym hero. but come tournament time this dude always loses. it is a never ending cycle with this guy in that he would have a huge head and then go to a tournament and come out empty handed but soon after he would inflate his huge ego once again from his gym conquests. i wonder why he has such a huge ego from his gym wins. i never seen him win he always gets eliminated. at first he was my teammate and i wanted him to win yada yada yada. but his shit got old real fast.

now in light of this insight, am i a bad teammate for having this guilty pleasure of watching him get destroyed in tournaments?

You really sound like you don't know shit about BJJ.

I thought he was a troll too, but I'm going to humour the post because I think it's interesting to an extent.

I have a team-mate who I want to lose. Because I'm the kid at the gym and I've been there since I was 14 a lot of guys took me under their wing. Of course that means I get advice where others might not, lots of sparring sessions etc, but it also means getting that 'little brother' sort of picking on. I don't mind it at all, it's all in good spirits cause they're good friends of mine and my team-mates and we all take the piss out of each other.

But there's this one guy who I don't actually like. He's just a stereotypical douche. The problem is he thinks he can join in with this jokey picking on me but not only does he do it the wrong way cause I don't like the bloke but also cause he generally does it just by taking me down when I'm not looking etc, where ends up getting submitted normally (where he then makes an excuse as to why he got tapped out by a kid).

I've only seen him compete once where he was smashed but if he ever competes again I do not want him to win by any means. Partly because of his disgustingly massive ego.

Rant about gym douche over.

Spend all your energy on your improvement and worry less how others come across.

I love it when people brag about how good they are and they are super cocky then get their ego checked.

I have a teammate who is a grown ass man and, honestly, sucks at BJJ. I once had to endure hearing him brag about the cool submissions he hit on a 14 year old high school freshman who had been training for about 2 months.

I do not feel bad at all about rooting against him.

Typically speaking, a person who likes to see his teammates lose is a person who loses himself, and doesn't want to feel out of place.

Just saying.

Back