i like it when some of my teammates lose

If that is really a representation of his attitude then yes maybe the losing will be good for him.

However if you are a higher belt you should tell him directly about his being a "gym hero" and that he should be quiet and train and get better.

Be direct in 2013 guys

sounds like your team mate has confidence issues. He get's excited in the gym when he does well and wants your validation. He must hold you in high esteem. Then he gets tested with competition and he breaks. It sounds like your guy needs a mentor, and was looking to you for guidance and you shun him.

so I'm guessing you are a blue belt and he is a white belt.

am i a bad person for liking it when some of my teammates lose in tournaments?

here is an example:

i know this one dude who always brags about how he beat so and so during training. he always comes up to me and says he was tapping this person out, putting a triangle on that person, etc. he would boast about how he is the toughest ____ belt in the gym. great bro your a gym hero. but come tournament time this dude always loses. it is a never ending cycle with this guy in that he would have a huge head and then go to a tournament and come out empty handed but soon after he would inflate his huge ego once again from his gym conquests. i wonder why he has such a huge ego from his gym wins. i never seen him win he always gets eliminated. at first he was my teammate and i wanted him to win yada yada yada. but his shit got old real fast.

now in light of this insight, am i a bad teammate for having this guilty pleasure of watching him get destroyed in tournaments?

Guy is covering up his insecurities, your coach should talk to him.

Back