i like it when some of my teammates lose

envee

White Belt
Reaction score
am i a bad person for liking it when some of my teammates lose in tournaments?

here is an example:

i know this one dude who always brags about how he beat so and so during training. he always comes up to me and says he was tapping this person out, putting a triangle on that person, etc. he would boast about how he is the toughest ____ belt in the gym. great bro your a gym hero. but come tournament time this dude always loses. it is a never ending cycle with this guy in that he would have a huge head and then go to a tournament and come out empty handed but soon after he would inflate his huge ego once again from his gym conquests. i wonder why he has such a huge ego from his gym wins. i never seen him win he always gets eliminated. at first he was my teammate and i wanted him to win yada yada yada. but his shit got old real fast.

now in light of this insight, am i a bad teammate for having this guilty pleasure of watching him get destroyed in tournaments?

am i a bad person for liking it when some of my teammates lose in tournaments?

here is an example:

i know this one dude who always brags about how he beat so and so during training. he always comes up to me and says he was tapping this person out, putting a triangle on that person, etc. he would boast about how he is the toughest ____ belt in the gym. great bro your a gym hero. but come tournament time this dude always loses. it is a never ending cycle with this guy in that he would have a huge head and then go to a tournament and come out empty handed but soon after he would inflate his huge ego once again from his gym conquests. i wonder why he has such a huge ego from his gym wins. i never seen him win he always gets eliminated. at first he was my teammate and i wanted him to win yada yada yada. but his shit got old real fast.

now in light of this insight, am i a bad teammate for having this guilty pleasure of watching him get destroyed in tournaments?

Not in this case. But if you wanted a stand up guy and winner to lose, then I'd see why your name is envee.

Yes. You should tie your gi to the ceiling joists and choke yourself to death now.

I prefer to represent myself than a whole team. Which is why I love martial arts.

P.S youz a hater

I don't know the whole situation, but it kind of sounds like you are intimidated by this guy or maybe even a little jealous of him?

I don't know the whole situation, but it kind of sounds like you are intimidated by this guy or maybe even a little jealous of him?

im a higher belt than him and am also bigger. i usually place at tournaments also. not jealous/intimidated but irritated.

im a higher belt than him and am also bigger. i usually place at tournaments also. not jealous/intimidated but irritated.

Oh ok, just didn't know if you were smaller than him and he was a higher belt and getting more attention or whatever.

I think as a person you don't have to like him, but, at the end of the day, he is your teammate and you should support him. For the good of your gym, anyway.

i really hope you're a troll. For your sake.

After hearing someone tell a joke, are you one of those people that asks other people if it was a funny joke?

Why not tell him that boasting about how he is the toughest ____ belt in the gym is not the done thing.

I do things that piss people off all the time, Its pretty rare for me to stop doing them until I have a reason to stop.

Then be the responsible higher belt and have a talk with him. Help him succeed rather than washing your hands of him and hoping he loses.

No, you shouldn't wish for the guy to lose. In the end, he is still a teammate and represent your school and indirectly you as well. Maybe he is one of the rare guys who is a jerk and doesn't realize boasting about beating people in 'training' is not cool.

You don't have to be best friends with the guy but let him do his thing and you your thing. If anything the guy just sounds immature.

If you are irritated with him, are much bigger, and a higher belt, why dont you tell him to cut the shit and act like a respectable member of the team?

I'm a fan of physical enforcement. So, have a talk with the lad about "cutting the shit" as Holt so eloquently put it. If it isn't helping matters, then I say a bit of humbling is in order. Your typical gauntlet of 3 minute rounds for 30 minutes minimum, first five rounds are only higher belts who can really pressure this kid and expell his cardio. Follow it by the equal and lower belts who then get a chance to have positional dominance over the gym hero. And this is why I can't be an instructor.

If that doesn't work... ROSHAMBO!

If he's your teammate, and you're the upperclassmen then you need to take initiative and pull him aside and "show him how the world turns", as my mom used to say.

You're the higher level teammate.. Chances are he's doing this bragging and showboating arrogant shit in order to impress you, or other higher level teammates.. If this is the case then let him know (in your best GSP impression of course) that you simply aren't impressed and that maybe if he concentrated more on his weaknesses rather than his strengths during training then he'd probably do better in tournament situations.

By the way TS I can't stand people like this either.. This is supposed to be a humbling sport and when people come at it with such an ego it really just kills the entire atmosphere. It's like bringing an unstable dog into a VERY stable and functioning pack of dogs... It just causes chaos and messes up the ebb and flow of training.

If you're in high school, it's understandable. If you're an adult, perhaps you have some issues with low self-confidence/ self-esteem or immaturity. Either way, it doesn't sound too serious.

Just because someone is a teammate, it doesn't stop them from being assholes.

So it's ok to be glad that he gets smashed in competition.

But, you could just teach him a lesson by talking straight up to him about what you think and feel. And for good measure, after the speech, destroy and smash him in training.

sounds like a guy with self esteem issues.

So basically you are bigger, more advanced than someone that feels the need to hype himself among his team mates and peers probably because of low self esteem and instead of trying to help the guy and mentor him you feel a sense of Schadenfreude when he fails, you sound like a hell of a guy.

We had a similar situation at my gym. We had 2 guys start at around the same time.

The one guy complained about having to be in the beginner classes because he trained MMA for almost 1 year with some 'pro fighters'. He was pretty athletic and had a good body type for BJJ and Muay Thai. He was constantly complaining to anyone that would listen that he shouldn't be in the beginner class. He had a lot of bad habits to break and most of the time he was just a touch too stubborn to listen.

The other guy started and was a 30 something year old guy with an IT job. He was shorter, overweight and had no previous training. He never complained about being in the beginner class. The first night he graduated out of the beginner program and was allowed to roll he was ROLLED UP by a 15 year old 95 lbs kid. But he kept training, lost weight, came off his blood pressure medication and did a tournament.

It just so happened that the two were in the same bracket of a double elimination tournament. The second guy with the IT job just absolutely abused the first guy, he was up 15-0 before arm barring the guy. In the finals they met up again and the second guy was up 12-0 and arm-triangled the guy again. I was never so happy to see a 'team mate' lose. The first guy was ultra cocky, had invited his girl friend and parents to the tournament and it was great to see him knocked down a peg. I was also really proud of the second guy. Later we were talking about the tournament and he told me that he went in to that match really scared because he just didn't want to lose to THAT guy. He would have been fine with losing - just not to him. LOL

The first guy no longer trains.

The second guy got his Blue Belt in DEC.

Guys, in another thread he announced he was a brown belt. He didn't respond after he was asked to disclose his lineage. The title of this thread may as well have been "what's up guys, SilverD here with a brand new handle!!".

Back