I just got my brown belt bitches!!!!!!!!!

Congrats bro, hope you do well in the tourny.

Great Job! 7.5 years for a brown is not bad at all. I've got friend who spent 4 years just to move from White to Blue. I'm still a white belt but I hope with dedication I can move up someday.

yes thats great news brown belt quite impressive

Asel1 said:
its about friken time!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey man, what days are you training? Evenings? I make it to the evening class on Tuesdays but the rest of the time I'm in the day class.

Nice , That's a heavy belt to carry ...Have fun smoking the fools that try to take you out ....

Yeah that's a fast progression man, congratulations!! You must have very good technique.

Big ups my friend. That is an amazing accomplishment. You are almost there......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my question: were you able to carry on a so-called "normal" life to get to brown belt? It seems to me that BJJ has to be your focus to get to that level. True or no?

I don't know what you would consider normal. My routine is normal to me. It has taken dedication to get to where I'm at. I train on average of 5 times a week. Sometimes you have to force yourself to go even though you may not want to. Other times you need to take breaks to let your body and mind recover. Without breaks I think your jiujitsu becomes stagnant. After breaks you come back reinvigorated and you will notice your bjj progresses beyond what it was before the break. BJJ is my main focus outside of work and family. I don't really go out to party. I lived that life when I was in high school. That's old news to me and I'd rather not have those type of distractions in my life. That's probably another thing that has made it easy for my wife to support me. She would rather have me training my ass off in the gym than partying at the clubs. I'd much rather be at the gym myself anyways.

Maybe my involvment in bjj has taken time away from family but it works both ways. I know guys that spend all day at home but don't SPEND it with their family. They're too busy catching the football game or watching their favorite show to realize they're neglecting their family. Maybe I haven't been there as much as I should've but the time I do spend with them is quality time such as going out to the beach, the zoo, the park for a picnic, etc. I'm currently training for Gracie tournament but I'm still making time for my wife and kids. We're gonna go to the Wild Animal Park on Monday and we're gonna stay till around 5 (I have training at 6). Managing your schedule is very important when you train as much as I do.

I had thought about picking up boxing again but then I'd really be spread too thin. A career in mma is not in my future. The money I'd be making when I first start doesn't outweight the risks involved. Plus I have a job that pays me more than the UFC would if I were the top dawg of my weight class (155). I started training bjj because I wanted to kick ass like Royce Gracie did. But now I train bjj because I fell in love with the sport, the people I've met, and the person I've become because of it.

BJJ for life.

Lobo said:
I don't know what you would consider normal. My routine is normal to me. It has taken dedication to get to where I'm at. I train on average of 5 times a week. Sometimes you have to force yourself to go even though you may not want to. Other times you need to take breaks to let your body and mind recover. Without breaks I think your jiujitsu becomes stagnant. After breaks you come back reinvigorated and you will notice your bjj progresses beyond what it was before the break. BJJ is my main focus outside of work and family. I don't really go out to party. I lived that life when I was in high school. That's old news to me and I'd rather not have those type of distractions in my life. That's probably another thing that has made it easy for my wife to support me. She would rather have me training my ass off in the gym than partying at the clubs. I'd much rather be at the gym myself anyways.

Maybe my involvment in bjj has taken time away from family but it works both ways. I know guys that spend all day at home but don't SPEND it with their family. They're too busy catching the football game or watching their favorite show to realize they're neglecting their family. Maybe I haven't been there as much as I should've but the time I do spend with them is quality time such as going out to the beach, the zoo, the park for a picnic, etc. I'm currently training for Gracie tournament but I'm still making time for my wife and kids. We're gonna go to the Wild Animal Park on Monday and we're gonna stay till around 5 (I have training at 6). Managing your schedule is very important when you train as much as I do.

I had thought about picking up boxing again but then I'd really be spread too thin. A career in mma is not in my future. The money I'd be making when I first start doesn't outweight the risks involved. Plus I have a job that pays me more than the UFC would if I were the top dawg of my weight class (155). I started training bjj because I wanted to kick ass like Royce Gracie did. But now I train bjj because I fell in love with the sport, the people I've met, and the person I've become because of it.

BJJ for life.

Well said. Keep this up and you'll be an equipe faixa preta soon. Congratulations.

Lobo said:
Hey man, what days are you training? Evenings? I make it to the evening class on Tuesdays but the rest of the time I'm in the day class.
right now only tues nights and thursday nights, but ive missed the last 2 tues cuz of all my work @church. besides im not trying to feel your triangle anytime soon!!!!!

Congratulations on the huge achievement. A brown belt from Fabio Santos is very impressive indeed.

Where is Fabio's school? Fashion Valley, or somewhere up by Del Mar, or other?

Congratulations, man. With that level of dedication and progress, you're only looking at a couple years max to your blackbelt. I'd be willing to bet.

You the man.

johil d'o said:
Where is Fabio's school? Fashion Valley, or somewhere up by Del Mar, or other?

It's in Mission Valley.

Back