I humbly ask Sherdog again. What is the possible Ceiling for Poatan legacy?

I think in a short amount of time he's proven he's one of the best strikers on the planet. I would have liked to have seen him compete in MMA in his 20's so we could get a better gauge at how good he could remain at the top.

He’s already the GOAT MMA fighter. He’ll likely finish his career as the greatest athlete of all-time.
your telling us poatan has like 10 title defenses?
he beat all kinds of fighters like what jones silva and gsp did?

No idea, but I hope he can get a title defense or else he's like a Conor McGregor... multiple weight champion with 0 title defenses

Those 3 LHW defenses would still put him behind Chuck on the all-time LHW rankings. I dunno; in terms of where I’d rank him all time, still not in the top 10 even if he did what’s listed in the OP. And obviously not enough of a legacy in any single weight class to be #1. He’d be towards the bottom of the LHW all time top 10 at best, and probably not been that high since he really doesn’t have anything else on his resume.

Last edited:
Sleeps with every Sherdog dime and obtains every belt
Then breaks free of his UFC contract and boxes Joshua winning by stunning Knockout

No idea, but I hope he can get a title defense or else he's like a Conor McGregor... multiple weight champion with 0 title defenses
Yup, but even Conor had a deeper resume. Poatan has been the recipient of some very gifted title shots.

Yup, but even Conor had a deeper resume. Poatan has been the recipient of some very gifted title shots.
Not really. cant say theyre gifted if he's made the most of em.

Is he really thinking of going to HW?

I don't think he'd stand a chance but jesus. If he went to HW AND won the belt, you could very much make a case for him being in the Top 5 goats

Not really. cant say theyre gifted if he's made the most of em.
Watch me :)

I don’t buy that argument at all, tbh. People always say that if the fighter who is gifted the TS, wins: “See, he obviously deserved it! He won!”

Styles make fights, and MMA history is probably full of all kinds of fighters who stylistically could’ve beaten the champ, but never got the chance because they lost to other contenders along the way. That’s kind of the point of the whole thing, having to work your way up the rankings and put together a string of good wins before earning a TS.

So yes: Poatan was gifted title shots.

I dunno man. Conor has one win at LW, his first one. He's 1-3. Alex is fighting Hill next month, that would be like Conor defending the belt after the Alvarez fight, and he didn't do that.

He's active

He's lethal

He's willing to fight unremarkable challengers.

what if he beats Hill,Ank,Tom and Borz?

He already stopped Izzy
goat status if he knocks down all of those killas. if he can beat aspinall, he should be able to beat the rest of the HW division for quite sometime.

His absolute ceiling is a notch below Daniel Cormier. Similar late career MMA start right at the top, but his level of competition and execution hasn't quite been the same.

I dunno man. Conor has one win at LW, his first one. He's 1-3. Alex is fighting Hill next month, that would be like Conor defending the belt after the Alvarez fight, and he didn't do that.
Right, but at FW Conor earned that. He beat Brimage, Brandao, Holloway, Poirier, Siver, and Mendes. Brimage and Brandao may not mean a lot, but Poirier, Siver, and Mendes did, and Holloway was a solid win at the time. He was definitely gifted the LW title shot though, no doubt.

Poatan fought Michailidis, Bruno Silva, and Strickland before his TS. That’s quite a bit thinner that Conor’s resume. Poatan’s MW TS was a gift, and his LHW TS was a gift, only having beaten Jan.

I think regardless of what happens at ufc 300, poatan will be fighting for HW belt by end of 2025.

If he wins the HW belt, you have to rank him as THEE most accomplished MMA fighter.

Doing what he has done across 2 orgs and multiple weight classes is beyond impressive.

I wouldn't say he's the best, or most talented, etc.

I view it similar to the Brady vs Manning (or Rodgers) debate. Brady isn't the most talented or gifted, but he's the most accomplished and that's what makes him the GOAT.

Back