• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rumored I heard Anthony Pettis To Fight Out Of His UFC Contract And Sign W The PFL

I like Coker, he has always done his part in the sport but he will never be top dog. North American MMA needs a B-league, it serves as a certain function in the sport. But the UFC will inevitably swallow them up when it sees fit. And it's not always because they're so superior(they are) it's because Coker's a choker at heart. They can't run it. Relying on old has-beens from the big leagues isn't sustainable.
If there was a time for the UFC to swallow up Bellator it would be right now that they are signing a bunch of regional dudes just to fill up cards. The UFC isnt swallowing up Bellator, at least not anytime soon and while they are operating in the black. But I do agree that we need a solid #2 promotion to serve as some type of competition for the UFC because competition is always going to be good for the sport.

Well, Pettis will probably be among the 60-80 fighters being cut from the UFC regardless if he wins or not. At this stage of his career, he is not winning the PFL tournament with Schulte at LW or with Rory at WW.

Shit, I didn't even know the PFL still existed.
They have the 2 best female combat athletes alive signed.
Kayla harrison 2 olympic gold medals in judo and their undefeated champ.
Claressa shield the most accomplished female boxer ever, with many gold medals including olympics and world championships in multiple weight classes as pro.

I'm waiting for UFC to buy them like they did pride and wec and stirkes force lol

The less orgs the better.

Maybe a bellator ufc merge in teh future too.

I’m not too sure he could go far in PFL’s LW division. Schulte and a few other guys are really good.

Huge if true....and kinda happy...more fighters should move around ittl teach the UFC to treat there fighters better...

Imma fan of PFLs setup....very strongly sport based.. MMA needs more of this IMO

Bellator is the only MMA organization, outside the UFC, that is operating in the black. I doubt they will be going under any time soon. Competition is always good for the sport, so at least I hope the stay afloat. Same with the PFL, RIZIN, ONE, etc.

I, too, hope they all survive. I just wish Bellator would be as appealing as Pride being that they’re probably closest in competition to the UFC. Bellator is doing absolutely nothing to create their own “personality” in the marketplace. I don’t remember who it is but they even had a commentator who was trying to mimick Joe Rogan’s voice. Trying to be like the UFC just waters down your product and straight up makes it cheesy.

Bellator is the only MMA organization, outside the UFC, that is operating in the black.
I don’t believe this statement is entirely accurate. I believe One is having issues as well.

UFC didn’t kill Pride. Pride killed Pride. I do think UFC will eventually strangle out Bellator, but the UFC doesn’t have that kind of power over the Asian market to kill off the competition there.

Not to derail the thread but wasn’t that the weirdest thing that happened when Pride announced they were up for sale? At the time I didn’t see that coming with how packed their arenas were.
Didn’t they blame it on losing a television deal because of their association with Yakuza?

Not to derail the thread but wasn’t that the weirdest thing that happened when Pride announced they were up for sale? At the time I didn’t see that coming with how packed their arenas were.
Didn’t they blame it on losing a television deal because of their association with Yakuza?
Yeah that’s exactly what happened. Their yakuza connections were exposed and they lost everything pretty much over night. Then they basically sold a now worthless company to the UFC. It was actually a pretty good swindle

I don’t think anyone in America saw it coming. As you said they were packing out arenas and doing way bigger events at the time. Maybe people in Japan saw it coming though

Claressa shield the most accomplished female boxer ever, with many gold medals including olympics and world championships in multiple weight classes as pro.

I'm waiting for UFC to buy them like they did pride and wec and stirkes force lol

How is it better? No competition is a horrible route to go. And that whole " all the best under one roof and we get all these exciting fights" never happens

I, too, hope they all survive. I just wish Bellator would be as appealing as Pride being that they’re probably closest in competition to the UFC. Bellator is doing absolutely nothing to create their own “personality” in the marketplace. I don’t remember who it is but they even had a commentator who was trying to mimick Joe Rogan’s voice. Trying to be like the UFC just waters down your product and straight up makes it cheesy.
True, for years Bellator was ran like a UFC knock off. It even kind of looked like they were trying to trick people into believing they were watching the UFC. This year, however, they have been taking steps in the right direction by signing a lot of good free agents, passing on former UFC fighters, and the match making is improving. They are still far behind the UFC but at last they are finally trying to differentiate themselves from the UFC.

I don’t believe this statement is entirely accurate. I believe One is having issues as well.
Im basing this statement by the 2019 Bellator finances. I believe they finally ran on the black after years of hemorraging money. As far as ONE, its hard to know how their finances look like, particularly when they hqve so obviously inflated finances but I doubt they are making any profit.

I think the PFL is a great idea for a lot of fighters, those tournaments with the 1 million dollar top prize seems too good to pass up.

Pettis already makes 310k to win, plus 15k Reebok money and the chance to win extra 50k checks like he got for beating Thompson and Chiesa. That means he made 375k for those fights. Fighting in a tournament where he has to win after qualifying would actually be a pay cut for him.

It would not surprise me if the UFC cits him with a loss and he says something in this regard as a way to save face but come on, Bellator is not paying Anthony that kind of money. Dont be ridiculous.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...de-castro-earns-12k/i7wto3l32hoo1q6lfmxnh7oc9

Lets send all of the UFC WMMA fighters over there to compete with them so we know for sure

No they are not, Amanda Nunes, Cyborg, and Shevchenko are the best combat athletes alive. At least in MMA, which is what we care about.

Claressa Shields boxing pedigree is irrelevant in MMA, as of right now, she would only beat your typical soccer mom fighting MMA. Shit, even Rachel Ostovich would be favored over her in a fight. Kayla Harrison is an olympic medalist, but so is Sara McMann, so idk if it means much to have that olympic medal. Maybe that is the reason why she has been beating a whole bunch of nobodies and some overblown bantamweights. Her best win is against Larissa Pacheco so, btw. Both are great athletes in their respectice disciplines but both are also largely unproven, in MMA at least.

Bad move imo. He gets knocked out by any of them Ali Abdelaziz/Khabib boys in PFL. Dangerous underrated killers.

I wouldnt mind seeing some more guys go to the pfl. I actually kinda liked the model. Pfl had some solid young fighters and they also had some veterans of the sport that would probably be deemed past their prime's at this point.

I'm not sure when the pfl is starting back up, or who's all in the tourney at each weight, but I'm sure there'll be some good scraps here and there.

Back