I have to euthanise my dog on Monday

Lights Out 101

Living Deliciously
@Black
Reaction score
And it hurts like fuck. She's 12 years old and she has been there through my darkest and happiest days. I didn't think it would hurt this much, But I've been pretty much been uncontrollably crying for the past 2 days. She requires a surgery that we simply can't afford.

Any coping tips? I tried getting high but that just made it worse.

I already have one. I absolutely adore her.

Good. Maybe get one more? :)

Losing a close friend which your dog has become over the years are never easy. And its okay be sad about it. The best thing is actually (if you are up for it) to get a new one right away.

if a surgery would save her, why not do a gofundme campaign? post it in here since there are so many dog lovers.

You seem to have already figured out that using substances to cope with grief won't help.

It's sad as hell. I can't think of a quick fix, but in time, you should be able to look back and it will be the happy memories that come back about your dog, much more than the sad ones.

Dogs just flood you with their positive emotions, unless you give them a reason not to. They don't leave you with anything bad to remember in the long term.

if a surgery would save her, why not do a gofundme campaign? post it in here since there are so many dog lovers.

I wish it were that simple. Sure, the surgery may pro long her life for about 6 more months. But that's just the beginning, she has lumps all over her body which are no doubt cancerous, causing her agony. She's lost her zest for life. She can't go for walks any more, she can't even lay in her favourite bed anymore without causing discomfort. A surgery at this point would just be a quick fix.

You seem to have already figured out that using substances to cope with grief won't help.

It's sad as hell. I can't think of a quick fix, but in time, you should be able to look back and it will be the happy memories that come back about your dog, much more than the sad ones.

Dogs just flood you with their positive emotions, unless you give them a reason not to. They don't leave you with anything bad to remember in the long term.

Very well said and thankyou. That actually has helped me a bit.

Very well said and thankyou. That actually has helped me a bit.

You're welcome.

Just give your dog the best couple days you can. Treat her like you did when she was a puppy and it was a thrill to see your new pet when you walked in the door.

Last edited:
all i can say is, do her the favour of being there for her,and don't prolong her pain.
crying-asian-man-o.gif

Last edited:
I wish it were that simple. Sure, the surgery may pro long her life for about 6 more months. But that's just the beginning, she has lumps all over her body which are no doubt cancerous, causing her agony. She's lost her zest for life. She can't go for walks any more, she can't even lay in her favourite bed anymore without causing discomfort. A surgery at this point would just be a quick fix.
well if that is the case, i understand. it really sucks. as i mentioned in a couple other threads, i recently lost my cat at 18 that i saved on her death day from back when i worked at the humane society years ago. it was crushing. i also saved a dog at the same time from his death day and he is 14. he has nothing that i know of right now other than a litle arthritis, but i know the time is coming for him before too long, and i am not looking forward to it at all. no real advice to give other than to spend as much time with her as you can this weekend.

i would say though, please don't take the easy way out and not be there for her when it is time to go. she will be in a strange place not knowing what is going on. be there for her and let her be the last thing she sees. hang in there and i feel for ya

I´m sorry to hear that TSI know how much that hurts TS. Was in the same spot several years go.

I agree with BisexualMMA, just spend as much time with her as you can and pamper her.

Aint gonna be easy bro ... Had a 13 yo lab had to put down a while back ... And my car a week later ... Was some tough times bro ... we know we are going to outlive our pets, so the heart break is expected ... All we can donis remember the fun times over these trying times ...

And it hurts like fuck. She's 12 years old and she has been there through my darkest and happiest days. I didn't think it would hurt this much, But I've been pretty much been uncontrollably crying for the past 2 days. She requires a surgery that we simply can't afford.

That's the toughest, damn. Always tough losing a pet, but you actually have a definitive timeline.

My advice is not to get drunk or high or anything. You want to remember your last few hours with her, even though sad. You don't want to have her gone and be like "shit, I don't even remember the last few days with her because I was high as fuck"

Good luck, sherbro

Mine died last year and nobody saw it coming just came home to a dead dog. It was hard seeing but if I had an appointment to have her put down I think it would be worse. It would be tough knowing she had an expiration date.
Oh and I got really hammered that night and visited her grave about 10 times.

My dog is 13 and might have a year or two left. I'm not looking forward to the end.

I'm so sorry. I've been there, and it's the worst feeling.
Just know that you're doing the right thing for her. Give her all the cuddles and spoil her with treats now.
<3

Never did like owning a dog. Not because I don't like them, but because you get so attached to them, and their life span is relatively short. It's guaranteed depression down the road.

Get a Parrot.

I've euthansied my cat about 2 years ago. He was 16 and I've had him since i was 3. It definitely hurt, but i'm happy that I went that route. No need to prolong the suffering, you'll fell relieved after euthanasia. Make sure you'll be there with the dog, during the procedure, otherwise you might feel guilty.

I can relate as I lost my cat this week. There's an emptiness I feel without her. She was there through it all the past 11 years.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back