I have to euthanise my dog on Monday

And it hurts like fuck. She's 12 years old and she has been there through my darkest and happiest days. I didn't think it would hurt this much, But I've been pretty much been uncontrollably crying for the past 2 days. She requires a surgery that we simply can't afford.

Any coping tips? I tried getting high but that just made it worse.

Don't cry because it’s over, Smile because it happened.

-Dr. Seuss

This too shall pass.

You're doing the right thing if she's suffering that much. Just remember that. I'm sorry for you loss. It sucks losing a dog.

Never did like owning a dog. Not because I don't like them, but because you get so attached to them, and their life span is relatively short. It's guaranteed depression down the road.

Get a Parrot.

Because you'll wish the parrot would die.

Because you'll wish the parrot would die.

I remember going into pet shops as a kid, and they'd have some parrots squawking their asses off at like a billion decibels. I just remember thinking that they weren't like their cartoon depictions at all.

And it hurts like fuck. She's 12 years old and she has been there through my darkest and happiest days. I didn't think it would hurt this much, But I've been pretty much been uncontrollably crying for the past 2 days. She requires a surgery that we simply can't afford.

I'm sorry to hear that. Spend the weekend with her and make sure she is as comfortable as possible during the time. Don't try to cope with it using drugs; they're a downer and will make your sadness worse. Talking to people helps, thinking of the great times helps, having a good cry helps, and when you're ready you can get a new 4-legged companion. I wish you the best, Shersibling.

Sorry to hear man. I had to put my dog down almost 7 years ago. He was almost 12. I missed a great deal after, but just let time do its thing. I won't get another dog, too much of a hassle.

If she's still got her appetite, cook that dog a steak.

The more you hurt, the more you know how amazing your dog is. Why my Vizsla passes, I will be taking the next few days off of work. The thing about dogs is, they aren't just animals - they are your family. They are actually better than most people because they have UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.

I bet your dog has been more loyal to you than any girlfriend. Go with the hurt, but remember that it hurts because the bond you two have was real. Enjoy it - in a strange way - because once you get over it, you won't feel the same.

When I had to put my first Dog down, I got him a burger, took him to the park (he couldnt walk but, he sat in the back with the tail gate down enjoying the view, and stayed literally by his side the entire weekend before. It was the hardest thing I ever did, but I can't help but think it was what was best for him, he was 13, couldnt walk, and was blind, missing a tooth, and going deaf as well. Mangy mutt, lol, but I loved him.

It doesnt get easier, but dogs are amazing and the downfall of how much they love you is how short their lives can be. Sorry to hear about your pup, know that others have been there and understand.

I don't think anyone can suggest anything to make coping with your animals death any easier. You just have to battle through it until it gets easier.

In terms of the actual euthanasia, I do have one suggestion if it's feasible. I found a vet that made house visits. I had my last dog put down while he was comfortable in his own bed surrounded by family that loved him. While it didn't make it any easier, looking back I think brought me a small bit of peace knowing he was as comfortable and relaxed as possible during his final moments.

Sorry man. My boxer is getting up there and i dread the day i have to put him down.

Damn man I feel for you. I have two that are creeping up there in age. Had them both since they were puppies and they are awesome with my kids. I dread them passing as well as having to explain it to my sons. Either way my thoughts are with you.

The only other dog that I've lost was my childhood dog and he actually passed in his sleep. It didn't make it any less painful but I can't imagine the buildup to actually having to put an animal down.

Last edited:
Wow, lots of depressing pet stories in here lately.

I'm sorry to hear it TS.

Man, I wish I could tell you otherwise taking your dog to be put down is one of the worst things you'll ever do. We had to do it last fall and it just ruined me for a couple of weeks. There's nothing that can make you feel good about it. Our dog was sick and broken down, we knew she had to be put down but it still just destroyed me.

I wish I could help you. It's been 12 years since I had to put a dog down, and it still sucks. Worst part is I have another old dude who's literally on his his last legs. Just be there with her, don't let her go alone.

As sucky as its to put your dog down when it comes time, it's all for the best. I rather my best buddy go with some respect and not be a shell of his former self where its a struggle just to get through the day.

Bummer, man. Our dog died a few years ago and the only advice i can offer is just to appreciate what a great dog it was and that it isn't suffering anymore. Take some time to let your mind heal and then when you're ready find a puppy and start anew. It's rough, but you'll get through it.

Thanks, everyone. Today I'm buying her favourite treats as well as driving her to the park and sitting with her on the bench over looking the hills. She's my parents dog too, and they're on the other side of the country on vacation. They've changed their flights to come home early just so they can be with her.

I've already looked in to home euthanasia, CatchOmega. I think that's the better option just so she's in familiar place for when it happens.

Back