I have to euthanise my dog on Monday

It's going to hurt for a while, Buddy. All I can say is don't beat yourself up over it... This is an act of love and mercy in many circumstances and I'm assuming this is the case for your dog as well. My condolences.

Man it's sad. Dogs are every bit a part of the family. My dog is old too. I'm gonna ball my eyes out when it's his time. He literally is our guardian angel.

And it hurts like fuck. She's 12 years old and she has been there through my darkest and happiest days. I didn't think it would hurt this much, But I've been pretty much been uncontrollably crying for the past 2 days. She requires a surgery that we simply can't afford.

Any coping tips? I tried getting high but that just made it worse.

Sorry - Sucks man.. been there numerous times. Just don't run right out and try to get another dog. Take some grieving time. wait a few months.

I'm so sorry to hear this bro.

My family made the mistake of trying to prolong my childhood dog's life with countless surgeries despite his advanced age. He ended up spending his last days attached to tubes in a vet office, so in alot of ways, deciding not to opt for surgery is the more loving choice. We were selfish, and I will never forgive myself for it.

This message is something that made me feel better (a neighbor gave us a framed copy), and I try and pass it along whenever I hear a person has lost a pet:

Rainbow Bridge:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

There's a lot of good advice in here already. I'll leave you with something from my experience that I hope helps you. My last dog was my buddy. He had seen more UFC's right next to me than half the people on this site ever have.

I was there when we got him as a puppy and I was there on his last day, right by his side. What haunts me to this day is seeing him pass with his eyes open, just completely glazed over. My wife couldn't handle being in the room, and I've never told her about this morbid detail.

You know it's the right decision, but look away when the end comes. That sight will never leave your memory.

There's a lot of good advice in here already. I'll leave you with something from my experience that I hope helps you. My last dog was my buddy. He had seen more UFC's right next to me than half the people on this site ever have.

I was there when we got him as a puppy and I was there on his last day, right by his side. What haunts me to this day is seeing him pass with his eyes open, just completely glazed over. My wife couldn't handle being in the room, and I've never told her about this morbid detail.

You know it's the right decision, but look away when the end comes. That sight will never leave your memory.

Jesus. That sounds terrible and I'm sorry you had to endure that. Thanks for the heads up, I definitely will look away now for when the time comes.

I'm so sorry to hear this bro.

My family made the mistake of trying to prolong my childhood dog's life with countless surgeries despite his advanced age. He ended up spending his last days attached to tubes in a vet office, so in alot of ways, deciding not to opt for surgery is the more loving choice. We were selfish, and I will never forgive myself for it.

This message is something that made me feel better (a neighbor gave us a framed copy), and I try and pass it along whenever I hear a person has lost a pet:

Rainbow Bridge:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Absolutely beautiful. i actually teared up a bit reading that. That's something I would want framed in my house.

Sorry - Sucks man.. been there numerous times. Just don't run right out and try to get another dog. Take some grieving time. wait a few months.

Yeah, In no way would I be getting another pet anytime soon. My cat is more than enough for me for now. My gf, my cat and my daughter are the only things keeping me semi-together at this point.

Never did like owning a dog. Not because I don't like them, but because you get so attached to them, and their life span is relatively short. It's guaranteed depression down the road.

Get a Parrot.

yeah, they don't live that long, but it's about what you do in that time.

you fucking terrorist

Hate to read this, So sorry for your loss, if the surgery is realistic, and you want to raise funds to do it, let us know, many of us will step up to help, chin up brother..

sry mate. our creator made dogs to be the best friend you could have and it's always difficult

good looking dog...as others have suggested spend as much quality time with her...feed her a steak...show her how much she is still loved and if you can find a vet that does house calls have her die in a place that is her own...

yeah man feed her everything she loves.. spoil her.. steaks, ice cream ..exc... let her last days be as happy as she made you through the years... and remember that you gave her the best life you could

Sorry to hear that man.. I lost a dog late last year and it wasn't even mine. He used to come visit all of the time and he love for me to rub his brisket (chest). He'd even hit my hand with his paw asking for it! But he had cancer and had to be put down.

When you do go to put her down, you MUST be there with her and holding her. If you don't she'll be looking around for you and you'll feel guilty.

It's a tough thing to do, but we're MEN ain't we?!? We do things not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

God bless...

That looks like a good-natured dog if I ever saw one. What's her name?

Thanks. She is the most sweetest, loyal dog ever. Even when I was having a shitty day she could always cheer me up somehow. Her name is Patch. I know, pretty cliche, but we got her when I was 12 and it was the only name we could all agree on.

Sorry to hear that man.. I lost a dog late last year and it wasn't even mine. He used to come visit all of the time and he love for me to rub his brisket (chest). He'd even hit my hand with his paw asking for it! But he had cancer and had to be put down.

When you do go to put her down, you MUST be there with her and holding her. If you don't she'll be looking around for you and you'll feel guilty.

It's a tough thing to do, but we're MEN ain't we?!? We do things not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

God bless...

Very true. No way am I bitching out when my best friend gets put to sleep. I'll be holding her until her last breath. I'll just have to look away while doing so.

Thanks. She is the most sweetest, loyal dog ever. Even when I was having a shitty day she could always cheer me up somehow. Her name is Patch. I know, pretty cliche, but we got her when I was 12 and it was the only name we could all agree on.
she reminds me of this dog...

2419d2ee1929845f1b1df4192f92cd89.jpg

Back