• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I have changed my avatar to honour a great American hero. You should know who she is.

She was an employee of the FDA and saved American lives. Who gives a fuck about petty bullshit like citizenship or where someone was born?

She saved American lives. That makes her an American hero.

With all respect to this fine lady, your previous avatar suited your posts better. For years, you've been know-it-all Clarence Darrow mansplaining things to the rest of the forum. Now you're a 1960's professional woman who has been triggered into using foul language.

But it could just be me.

Last edited:

Sometimes it is just one person standing in the way of pure evil.

Frances Oldham Kelsey was a reviewer for the FDA in Washington. One of her first assignments was to review Thalidomide for approval. Thalidomide had been approved in Canada, and many European countries.

And the reason for the approval was obvious. The backers of thalidomide had excellent safety data supporting their product, demonstrating that there were virtually no side effects.

Kelsey, the skeptic, decided that the safety data presented on behalf of thalidomide was "too good to be true", and called bullshit on their data. She demanded different data, and went to war with the pharmaceutical companies backing thalidomide.

In the interim, thousands of children were born with horrible deformities because of thalidomide in Europe. And Kelsey saved thousands more in America by sticking to her principles, and not allowing herself to be pressured by bullshit.

Kelsey was appropriately awarded the President's Award for Distinguished Federal Civilian Service by John F. Kennedy, and was widely recognized as a hero for her refusal to approve the drug.

Salute to an American hero.

Nice

Here is another one. Mine is cool too

With all respect to this fine lady, your previous avatar suited your posts better. For years, you've been know-it-all Clarence Darrow mansplaining things to the rest of the forum. Now you're a 1960's professional woman who has been triggered into using foul language.

But it could just be me.
I used to have this avatar, which suited my posts even better:

But it could just be me.
Hah! We all know it shouldn't matter but it does. Just look at folks talking about past posters and like 3/4 will remember the avatar instead of the username. Yeah, the avs are linked to the readers' perceptions of the posters' content for sure.

Unfortunately it's gotta be due to the same facet of our life experience that makes hard news easier from a pretty face and that whole aspect of interpersonal interaction (I'm sure there's a summary word for this phenomenon I'm forgetting from the psychology world).

TL:DR
The homelies have it rough and now @EndlessCritic has the noots to rock this heroic Terry-Gross-looking lady

*edit*
My D somehow transmogrified into a smiley and it's surprising and funny and staying put

Not surprisingly, an American came through in the clutch and saved lives. Respect to Frances.

She was born in Canada.

But like most great Canadians, she moved to America to become awesome.

Last edited:
My cousins husband was a thalidomide baby, he has a thumb and forefinger on one hand and just a thumb on the other.

I bet he knows @Slobodan from his carny days.
Slobodans grandma was the bearded lady, and he was the cigarr smoking hunchback baby who sang.

I bet he knows @Slobodan from his carny days.
Slobodans grandma was the bearded lady, and he was the cigarr smoking hunchback baby who sang.
I made a decent living

Reactions: lsa
Back