I have a huge mushroom

What should I do with it?

• Total voters
@Stranger Come Knocking with Boletaceae it is prudent to damage the fertile surface and note any staining immediately and after some length of time (5 minutes is usually sufficient). This one below (not my photo) stains blue, this is indicative of a variegatic acid containing species.

IMG_20170605_091232.jpg.510554488740d128f95d2a2393637fce.jpg

A similar practice can be done with the latex produced in genera Lactarius and Lactifluus when the lamellae are damaged. This Lactarius subvernalis var. cokeri (my photo) produces white latex immediately, becoming red over time.

5288-F93-F-7-D0-C-4-BB9-B8-B9-9-C60-BB2-A47-B0.jpg

Ahh didn't walk past that spot but they had a similar texture on top like trametes gibbosa.

Anywhoo. Here's a few from this morning. Went and checked the spots I usually see bears head or coral tooth cause I want to propagate those.

First is on dead hemlock. 2nd under a live hemlock and 3rd lentizes betulina?

Bonus ghost pipe

@Stranger Come Knocking with Boletaceae it is prudent to damage the fertile surface and note any staining immediately and after some length of time (5 minutes is usually sufficient). This one below (not my photo) stains blue, this is indicative of a variegatic acid containing species.

IMG_20170605_091232.jpg.510554488740d128f95d2a2393637fce.jpg

A similar practice can be done with the latex produced in genera Lactarius and Lactifluus when the lamellae are damaged. This Lactarius subvernalis var. cokeri (my photo) produces white latex immediately, becoming red over time.

5288-F93-F-7-D0-C-4-BB9-B8-B9-9-C60-BB2-A47-B0.jpg
Yeah I know that much about boletes and have some blue stainers around here. Got a nice patch of milky caps too but wanted to narrow it down to see if they're prize ones so I can start trying to propagate those too. Don't have those uploaded tho. Gotta search

Ahh didn't walk past that spot but they had a similar texture on top like trametes gibbosa.

Anywhoo. Here's a few from this morning. Went and checked the spots I usually see bears head or coral tooth cause I want to propagate those.

First is on dead hemlock. 2nd under a live hemlock and 3rd lentizes betulina?

Bonus ghost pipe

100% not Trametes gibbosa which have angular and elongated pores. edit: I assumed you were talking about the ones you posted earlier but maybe referring to something else

Im unsure of the first set. It's really difficult to get a good look with the method you're using to post, on my phone at least. 2nd is Gymnopus sect. Levipedes close to G. dryophilus s.str. (a host for my favorite parasite Syzygospora mycetophila). 3rd is Trametes betulina. 4th is Monotropa uniflora, a nonphotosyntheic, mycoheterotropic plant.

@Hans Gercmiov @Stranger Come Knocking here is a picture of the underside. You guys seem to know your shrooms!

And of course I would never eat any mushroom without a positive identification.

View attachment 867507

This is a species of Agaricus, without a doubt. Take a cross section, look for the presence of yellow staining. Also, note any foul odor, specifically a smell of chemicals. If none can be discerned, put some in the microwave for about 30 seconds. The presence of either of these things is indicative of sect. Xanthodermatei and thus toxic, otherwise, edible. And yes, I am an expert in field identification of fungi, which includes consulting for medical doctors, poison control centers, and veterinarians around the world on active poisoning cases every day and have alerts sent to my phone 24 hours a day when an active poisoning case comes across the wire, so I'd hope I'd know a thing or 2 about mushrooms lol

I did a little hunting myself this morning and found 3 sections of Amanita (sect. Validae, sect, Caesareae, sect. Vaginatae) Amanita radiata, Amanita arkansana, and Amanita stirps Stobilaceovolvata which I'm tentatively calling A. insinuans, and a species of Lactarius/Lactifluus that I've yet to identify. The Amanita stirps Stobilaceovolvata I'm added to my herbarium on Mushroom Observer that I linked to I believe on page 4 if interested. I didn't bother uploading the others because I already have observations of those.

Last edited:
What I thought was just an angel because it was growing in my angel mycelium patch, wasn't even going to bother with it because I find them all the time. But in closer inspection, it's not a Phallodeae at all! This is Amanita radiata (sect. Validae). Man that volva consisting of concentric ring is really reminiscent of a muscarioid volva!

9-D89-E60-B-AF0-A-416-A-9867-B5-AD83-EC2742.jpg

1-B8-A2788-0-D58-4-D48-8-BEF-F66-A0-A1-BC7-DE.jpg

8-C9744-FA-4388-4064-9160-B8019-C2-F2000.jpg

D6091-A02-F6-D6-4375-98-C0-E2-BE0-D0-B9519.jpg

Back