I have a huge mushroom

What should I do with it?

• Total voters
I have a huge mushroom growing on my lawn. I cut the grass 5 days ago so this thing grew fast. It’s about 8 inches in diameter now. It’s on a dead patch of grass under a tree, more weeds than grass actually.

What should I do with it? Options in poll above.

View attachment 867369
Can I have your stuff if you die?

Have sex with it then you will have a small Mushroom running around too.

Damn I didn’t even see the Clippy option before I voted to eat it

I formally change my vote, send it to sherbro Clippy. He will do what’s right

2 of the 3 deadliest mushrooms around almost look like that. Death caps and destroying angels. Don't think it's the destroyer but don't ever fuck with white mushrooms like that unless you're 100 percent sure. Take a pic of the underside. You can tell by its structure - gills, how they're structured, whether they attach to the cap. Is the stem hollow, is it mycorrhyzal with any trees etc... then take a spore print - actually this is something that's cool to do anyway. It comes out like a little piece of art. Pull the stem and plop it on a piece of paper, cover it with Tupperware or a big bowl or some shit so nothing will blow. Wait a day or 2 then see what you got. The color of the spores is another indicator.

A very high amount if not most mushroom deaths in the US are from misidentified mushrooms that look like this. And it's mostly Asians. I forget the name of the one they eat but back home they forage them all the time but they don't have deadly amanitas over there so there's no worry.

Like you eat one and there's nothing you can do except a liver transplant. I don't even think symptoms are bad until your almost dead then it's just too late for anything.
<{Joewithit}>

I have a huge mushroom growing on my lawn. I cut the grass 5 days ago so this thing grew fast. It’s about 8 inches in diameter now. It’s on a dead patch of grass under a tree, more weeds than grass actually.

View attachment 867369

Well, you should definitely never eat any fungi you cannot positively identify. This one strikes me immediately as Chlorophyllum molybdites, which contains several metalloendopeptidase compounds, including molybdophyllysin, which wreak havoc on mammalian digestive systems. Side effects can include, but not limited to, rectal bleeding and hypovolemic shock. I would recommend first getting it positively identified by an expert (like me). Now, can you please photograph the specimen in greater detail and include your geographic location?

This infographic is very handy for documenting for identification.

B8-E838-FD-9-ACF-41-C6-B203-09-DBF9-D3-F379.jpg

If it doesn't have blue bruising it's probably not the good shit.

Don't fuck with wild mushrooms unless you know homie.

Blue bruising means nothing without context. Many Boletaceae, for example, contain variegatic acid, which is enzymatically oxidized to blue quinone methide anions when fungal context is exposed to the atmosphere, in contrast to the psilocin oxidization manifested in some (but not all) tryptamine alkaloid containing species, most famously in the genera Psilocybe and Panaeolus, which is what you are referring to. There are no blanket rules that apply to fungi.

2 of the 3 deadliest mushrooms around almost look like that. Death caps and destroying angels. Don't think it's the destroyer but don't ever fuck with white mushrooms like that unless you're 100 percent sure. Take a pic of the underside. You can tell by its structure - gills, how they're structured, whether they attach to the cap. Is the stem hollow, is it mycorrhyzal with any trees etc... then take a spore print - actually this is something that's cool to do anyway. It comes out like a little piece of art. Pull the stem and plop it on a piece of paper, cover it with Tupperware or a big bowl or some shit so nothing will blow. Wait a day or 2 then see what you got. The color of the spores is another indicator.

A very high amount if not most mushroom deaths in the US are from misidentified mushrooms that look like this. And it's mostly Asians. I forget the name of the one they eat but back home they forage them all the time but they don't have deadly amanitas over there so there's no worry.

Like you eat one and there's nothing you can do except a liver transplant. I don't even think symptoms are bad until your almost dead then it's just too late for anything.

This is nothing Amanita bisporigera complex, or indeed Amanita at all. Also, spore prints are all but useless for a tool of identification in all but a handful of very specific instances like in genus Russula or tropical species in Chlorophyllum sect. Chlorophyllum. Toxic Amanita are white spored, edible Amanita are white spored. Toxic Agaricus are brown spored, edible Agaricus are brown spored. Active Panaeolus are black spored, inactive Panaeolus are black spored (sans P. foenisecii), etc. Means nothing.

Edit: I should note that spore color can most often be determined by the color of the lamellae. All I do is identity fungi from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep, everyday, and myself and colleagues request or require spore prints almost never. 99.99% of the time literally it is unnecessary. That said, I myself sometimes take spore prints just because they can be neat and pretty. But that is about all they are good for, a point of curiosity. Unless, of course, you plan to examine said spores with the aid of microscopy.

Last edited:

View attachment 867369

Option 6 : Transfer it to a pot and keep it as a pet.

Well, you should definitely never eat any fungi you cannot positively identify. This one strikes me immediately as Chlorophyllum molybdites, which contains several metalloendopeptidase compounds, including molybdophyllysin, which wreak havoc on mammalian digestive systems. Side effects can include, but not limited to, rectal bleeding and hypovolemic shock. I would recommend first getting it positively identified by an expert (like me). Now, can you please photograph the specimen in greater detail and include your geographic location?

This infographic is very handy for documenting for identification.

B8-E838-FD-9-ACF-41-C6-B203-09-DBF9-D3-F379.jpg
You had me at rectal bleeding. Eat away TS.

You had me at rectal bleeding. Eat away TS.

I'm not at all sure of that identification as I'd expect the pileipellis to be much more squamose, the squamules however can be lost due to age and weathering, and this specimen definitely appears to have both. I would be surprised if it wasn't some lepiotoid though or perhaps a large Agaricus, which would most likely be edible save for sect. Xanthodermatei. Additional data is required.

Last edited:
The psychedelic ones literally look like some shit out of super mario bros

The mushrooms from Mario are stylized representations of Amanita muscaria, which along with many other representatives of sect. Amanita, most famously the muscarioids, pantherinoids, and gemmatoids, contain the isoxazole derivative alkaloids ibotenic acid, muscimol, and muscazone, making them intrinsically toxic, and require one or another decarboxylation techniques to be rendered safe for human consumption. Muscimol is what you're after here, which is a deliriant GABA receptor antagonist, there's nothing psychedelic about it. I mitigate isoxazole poisoning cases (primary in canines) almost daily, there's a reason these compounds aren't illegal, not something to toy around with.

The "psychedelics" belong most prominently to genera Psilocybe and Panaeolus, with some others primarily in genera Gymnopilus (here in North America most prominently in the G. speciosissimus-subspectabilis complex and the G. aeruginosus-luteofolius complex), Pluteus, and Conocybe. These contain the tryptamine alkaloids psilocybin, psilocin, and baeocystin, which act on the serotonin receptors (psilocybin and psilocin being the serotonin analogs 4-phosphoryloxy-n,n-dimethyltryptamine and 4-hydroxy-n,n-dimethyltryptamine, respectively, serotonin being the monoamine neurotransmitter 5-hydroxytryptamine) and are powerfully hallucinogenic. The closest you're going to find in genus Amanita is the related tryptamine alkaloid bufotenine, which has been shown present in some species of Amanita sect. Validae series Mappae. However, this is only in principle, I know of no one eating series Mappae Amanita for their psychotropic properties.

Last edited:
put it in your butt

There’s a bunch of posters in the WR who’d like nothing better.
Just give it an orange dusting though.
Would help in their fantasies and in the bidding too.

<BC1>

This is nothing Amanita bisporigera complex, or indeed Amanita at all. Also, spore prints are all but useless for a tool of identification in all but a handful of very specific instances like in genus Russula or tropical species in Chlorophyllum sect. Chlorophyllum. Toxic Amanita are white spored, edible Amanita are white spored. Toxic Agaricus are brown spored, edible Agaricus are brown spored. Active Panaeolus are black spored, inactive Panaeolus are black spored (sans P. foenisecii), etc. Means nothing.

Edit: I should note that spore color can most often be determined by the color of the lamellae. All I do is identity fungi from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep, everyday, and myself and colleagues request or require spore prints almost never. 99.99% of the time literally it is unnecessary. That said, I myself sometimes take spore prints just because they can be neat and pretty. But that is about all they are good for, a point of curiosity. Unless, of course, you plan to examine said spores with the aid of microscopy.
Well if you're a pro then yeah you can probably tell but if not then the spore print can check a box off toward I'd no? Like I found these gymnopilus junonius last year and the spore print was just another check off the list toward id especially since there's deadly galerina all over here. Still got those prints... gonna cultivate them. I know you don't partake but they're a very interesting psychedelic or so I hear. Not sure why. The chemical make up? Can you educate me a little if you got the time?

Actually haven't been trying to I'd anything since then except for different boletes. Really need to get good at it. Theres so many different kinds here. I love them. Also there's a patch of some kind of milk cap here that I didn't narrow down last year. Haven't popped up yet though this year. Think I posted it in your thread last year. Also there was a white little polypore in there I never ided either.

Nowadays when I forage, like every other day, I'm really just looking for cool edibles and medicinals. Like to have a big pot of tea/tisane half the time on the stove. The easy ones. Reiahi, turkey, tails, birch polypore etc. Ooh! Lots of forest fomentarius here too. I want to try and make a hat like stamets one day.

Last edited:
Well if you're a pro then yeah you can probably tell but if not then the spore print can check a box off toward I'd no? Like I found these gymnopilus junonius last year and the spore print was just another check off the list toward id especially since there's deadly galerina all over here. Still got those prints... gonna cultivate them. I know you don't partake but they're a very interesting psychedelic or so I hear.

Where are you located? Gymnopilus junonius is not present in North America per last year's revision of genus, and has instead been split into 4 distinct species (G. speciosissimus, G, subspectabilis, G. luteus, and G. voitkii).

As far as the spore print thing, it's has nothing to do with being a pro. A huge part of my day is dedicated to tutoring and mentoring novices and one of the main points I try to stick in their heads is to move away from using spore prints for identification. If you have techniques that you use in the field to make you feel more comfortable with something you plan to consume, I'm not going to tell you you shouldn't do that. But there are infinitely more reliable methods. The amatoxin containing species in Galerina sect. Naucoriopsis should be easily enough differentiated from the Gymnopilus speciosissimus-subspectabilis complex by their diminutive size and relatively smooth pileal surface, Gymnopilus are much more robust and have a squamous pileal surface.

You obviously have some familiarity and interest in mycology, so I would urge you to take this to heart and study other macro-morphological features to aid you in your endeavors. Spore prints are bologna.

If you give it to me i will throw it at a bear. Right between its eyes.

Actually haven't been trying to I'd anything since then except for different boletes. Really need to get good at it. Theres so many different kinds here. I love them. Also there's a patch of some kind of milk cap here that I didn't narrow down last year. Haven't popped up yet though this year. Think I posted it in your thread last year. Also there was a white little polypore in there I never ided either.

Nowadays when I forage, like every other day, I'm really just looking for cool edibles and medicinals. Like to have a big pot of tea/tisane half the time on the stove. The easy ones. Reiahi, turkey, tails, birch polypore etc. Ooh! Lots of forest fomentarius here too. I want to try and make a hat like stamets one day.

This part was not here when I replied. Boletaceae are nearly impossible to take spore prints of, this technique was given to me by my friend and Sardinian mycologist Davide Puddu:
"To spore print a bolete(it could be difficult especially in dry climates) you need a "moisture chamber" made with a plastic box with inside some wet tissues on one side and on the other side the bolete you want to print over an aluminium foil. Close the box and put it in the fridge."

Do you have clear photos of the polypore? Polypores aren't my wheelhouse but I'd like to take a crack at it.

Fomes fomentarius is also not present in North America. Our closest morphological match would be Fomes excavatus.

Where are you located? Gymnopilus junonius is not present in North America per last year's revision of genus, and has instead been split into 4 distinct species (G. speciosissimus, G, subspectabilis, G. luteus, and G. voitkii).

As far as the spore print thing, it's has nothing to do with being a pro. A huge part of my day is dedicated to tutoring and mentoring novices and one of the main points I try to stick in their heads is to move away from using spore prints for identification. If you have techniques that you use in the field to make you feel more comfortable with something you plan to consume, I'm not going to tell you you shouldn't do that. But there are infinitely more reliable methods. The amatoxin containing species in Galerina sect. Naucoriopsis should be easily enough differentiated from the Gymnopilus speciosissimus-subspectabilis complex by their diminutive size and relatively smooth pileal surface, Gymnopilus are much more robust and have a squamous pileal surface.

You obviously have some familiarity and interest in mycology, so I would urge you to take this to heart and study other macro-morphological features to aid you in your endeavors. Spore prints are bologna.
Luteus sorry. Is your old thread still up? I'll look for the pics from last year and post back later. Also, I'm no pro at all, but that one little white polypore I could never identify and I identified everything any online group ever suggested it might be. Trametes hirsute etc. Ha! For a time I was thinking..... maybe I found a new species! But probably not lol. Looks like a bleached white turkey tail and always see them very early in the spring . Upstate new york

This part was not here when I replied. Boletaceae are nearly impossible to take spore prints of, this technique was given to me by my friend and Sardinian mycologist Davide Puddu:
"To spore print a bolete(it could be difficult especially in dry climates) you need a "moisture chamber" made with a plastic box with inside some wet tissues on one side and on the other side the bolete you want to print over an aluminium foil. Close the box and put it in the fridge."

Do you have clear photos of the polypore? Polypores aren't my wheelhouse but I'd like to take a crack at it.

Fomes fomentarius is also not present in North America. Our closest morphological match would be Fomes excavatus.
Shit really? Is that new? Cause I remember stamets talking about them here. It's pretty close I bet. Wasn't it recent that they made the distinction between red belted polypore and fomitopsis mounceae?

Luteus sorry. Is your old thread still up? I'll look for the pics from last year and post back later. Also, I'm no pro at all, but that one little white polypore I could never identify and I identified everything any online group ever suggested it might be. Trametes hirsute etc. Ha! For a time I was thinking..... maybe I found a new species! But probably not lol. Looks like a bleached white turkey tail and always see them very early in the spring . Upstate new york

Well was it hirsute (hairy)? There are a number of white Trametes. Trametes lactinea most prominently. I don't know what became of the big mushroom thread. I know the one I'm thinking I'm is pretty old and I probably relaid some less than ideal information in there. I've come a long way since then.

Back