"I don't like to visit other people's homes"

d4jNjEF.jpg
Is that @Cint 's place?

So I've had a new friend for a few months now, an older retired expat here. We hang out about once a week at a bar, eatery, or pizzeria...and always have a good time and good convo. Really nice guy and our wives have become friends, too. But I've invited him over a few times and he always has an excuse as to why he can't come.

Well, yesterday he admitted that he isn't comfortable visiting the homes of other people. I didn't push the issue, as he seemed uncomfortable discussing it. Sounds like some sort of controlling behavior, anxiety or neurosis. Is this a real thing? Or is he just a nut? Anyone you know like that?
Some people just like so much friendship, and to limit it to what they're comfortable with.
It's probably nothing personal.
I myself prefer to be able to call my shots and maintain boundaries I'm in control of.

Either he doesn't like you or he's hiding something. I met a few people like that in Hong Kong, but I also had to disassociate myself with some people too.

So I've had a new friend for a few months now, an older retired expat here. We hang out about once a week at a bar, eatery, or pizzeria...and always have a good time and good convo. Really nice guy and our wives have become friends, too. But I've invited him over a few times and he always has an excuse as to why he can't come.

Well, yesterday he admitted that he isn't comfortable visiting the homes of other people. I didn't push the issue, as he seemed uncomfortable discussing it. Sounds like some sort of controlling behavior, anxiety or neurosis. Is this a real thing? Or is he just a nut? Anyone you know like that?

it sounds like you hit the nail on the head with it being controlling behavior. could be that he doesn't feel comfortable in places where he has to be careful of the way he conducts himself.

I think he probably has aspects of his life he's hiding, and if he goes to your place he'd feel guilty keeping them from you. You said he's an expat, he could be escaping from something. You seem like a good guy anyways.

Do any of you look in the medicine cabinet while you're at another house?

Honestly, I don't love going to other people's houses either for the most part. It's their place, their domain, and I'm an outsider.

I can eventually get over this if I am close enough to the person I'm visiting and I go enough times to where I feel at home, but I never like it initially.

You should try this method out with minorities!

Back