I can't imagine a UFC card headlined by strawweight women

Sure, why not? Its the first step for a super fight between the strawweight champ vs Ronda.

Sure, why not? Its the first step for a super fight between the strawweight champ vs Ronda.

I'm not a lawyer but I've seen some criminal procedural TV shows so I think I'm qualified enough to post about legal matters on Sherdog.

The legal term is 'murder' not 'super fight'.

The division is newborn. There is no reason to believe that a great star won't emerge. And for those that have followed the strawweights from the InvictaFC days, fighters like Jo Jo Calderwood are already stars. Just look at this forum's Calderwood War Wagon thread to see the truth of this:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/jojo-calderwood-warwagon-v2-0-were-gonna-need-more-kilts-2894605/

And Ronda Rousy was just given the championship crown without a single fight in the UFC, back when the UFC women's bantamweight division was formed. Does anybody think less of her for this now, now that she's defended her crown so ably on so many occasions?

Absolutely. I predict that the strawweight division will earn a reputation for exciting fights, and that the more these fighters get known, the more people will come to care greatly about these fighters and the outcome of their fights.

Is the great popularity of women's tennis, or women's gymnastics at the Olympics, due solely to sex appeal?

At any rate, as Ronda Rousey herself pointed out, the smaller female fighters are cuter. And if anime teaches us anything, it is that cute badass female fighters have a whole lot of appeal to a whole lot of people.

1. How many people actually watched Invicta FC for her? And you're giving me a forum post on sherdog as proof that she's a star? Really? Sorry, but that's kinda ridiculous. I can make a "war wagon" post about anyone and it'll get attention because of an upcoming fight, but that doesn't mean he/she is a star. A star sells PPVs and draws crowds. Has Jo Jo Calderwood drawn anything that resembles what a star can draw? No, sorry.

2. Ronda Rousey was a star before her first fight even happened. She had all the hype going for her: 1st UFC women's division, 1st UFC women's champ, 1st American to medal in the Olympics in Judo, undefeated and all wins via 1st round armbar, etc. etc. Face it, Ronda was a different animal and as you can see from the women's bantamweight division now, no one can draw anything aside from her. Compare that to the current strawweight champ who has no real "star credentials" next to her name..

3. The men's flyweight and bantamweight divisions are full of unbelievably exciting fights and supreme talent. However, are they drawing PPVs and viewers? No. The reality is, people aren't drawn by exciting fights. They're drawn by personalities.. and judging by the TUF strawweight season, there's not even 1 personality there that stands out.

4. The reason lighter weight classes don't draw is because there is the common (and true) notion that smaller people simply don't hit as hard as larger people. That's why heavier weight classes get more attention and prestige. Also, there's this common stigma that fighting is a man's domain. Tennis and gymnastics on the other hand, aren't combat sports so there's no way to compare.

Oh and edit: please don't make examples like anime.. geez, this is MMA, not a cartoon. i can't even describe how silly that was.

If you're going to make points, please base them on reality instead of fantasy.

1. How many people actually watched Invicta FC for her? And you're giving me a forum post on sherdog as proof that she's a star? Really? Sorry, but that's kinda ridiculous. I can make a "war wagon" post about anyone and it'll get attention because of an upcoming fight, but that doesn't mean he/she is a star. A star sells PPVs and draws crowds. Has Jo Jo Calderwood drawn anything that resembles what a star can draw? No, sorry.

Try reading more carefully. I wrote: And for those that have followed the strawweights from the InvictaFC days, fighters like Jo Jo Calderwood are already stars. Do you see how I have limited the scope of the stardom being discussed? That makes your rebuttal one that addresses a strawman of your making, not one that addresses what I actually wrote.

Try reading more carefully. I wrote: And for those that have followed the strawweights from the InvictaFC days, fighters like Jo Jo Calderwood are already stars. Do you see how I have limited the scope of the stardom being discussed? That makes your rebuttal one that addresses a strawman of your making, not one that addresses what I actually wrote.

and this makes your statement useless.

your definition of star is, then, a big fish in a tiny, tiny pool.

that's not a star, that's just an insignificant fish. sorry, i tried to point out to you what a star really is, and now you're going to insist that your definition is correct? ridiculous. the whole point of this thread is "THERE ARE NO STRAWWEIGHT WOMEN WHO CAN DRAW". why would you then show me a "limited scope of stardom"? that's just silly and useless.

anyway, it's good we've made progress and you've basically agreed with my original point that there are no stars in the division.

As has been said, it will be co-headliner.

Imagine, if you will:

UFC 190, Jones/Gus 2, comain Esparza/whoever, weak rest of card

Three weeks from the fight, Jones/Gus drops off due to injury, arrest, or Dana pulling the ol switcheroo F-U to the fans

New main event is Women's SW Championship

Dana: F-U, its a championship fight, don't F'ing watch if you don't F'ing like it.

Card: Decent scraps, not terrible. SW main event 5 long rounds and decision

Dana: Card was a F-ing tremendous success

PPV buys: 17

Sherdog: UFC is dying

Is normal

3. The men's flyweight and bantamweight divisions are full of unbelievably exciting fights and supreme talent. However, are they drawing PPVs and viewers? No. The reality is, people aren't drawn by exciting fights. They're drawn by personalities.. and judging by the TUF strawweight season, there's not even 1 personality there that stands out.

This is an extremely clueless assessment of the personalities in the women's strawweight division. There are many people on this forum who already are familiar enough with the women of the division to be laughing at you for writing that absurd evaluation.

This is an extremely clueless assessment of the personalities in the women's strawweight division. There are many people on this forum who already are familiar enough with the women of the division to be laughing at you for writing that absurd evaluation.

Yeah, you can probably count them with your two hands.

Jeez, your blind faith in strawweights is fine, but don't try to claim they can draw PPV numbers. Is there a Conor McGregor somewhere in there? No. I watched the season. The women were ordinary. None of them were compelling enough to make me want to follow them. The only person I would actually follow is Paige Vanzant because she's hot, and she wasn't even in the show.

Oh and edit: please don't make examples like anime.. geez, this is MMA, not a cartoon. i can't even describe how silly that was.

If you're going to make points, please base them on reality instead of fantasy.

The point that you failed to grasp with my bringing up of anime that there is a HUGE international audience already in existence for entertainment involving cute little badass female fighters. That market may not overlap much with the UFC audience of the past, but that doesn't mean it won't in the future. The UFC is trying to expand their audience, and the cute strawweight female fighters have the potential to bring to the UFC an audience they've never had before.

I concur. There is already a big feud between the ice cream queen
10919759_414603492031931_818341509_n.jpg

vs randa quiet storm markos.
B1ZyjFTIUAAYl0S.jpg

And Imagine how ez it will be to promote a super fight between RONDA vs RANDA.

The point that you failed to grasp with my bringing up of anime that there is a HUGE international audience already in existence for entertainment involving cute little badass female fighters. That market may not overlap much with the UFC audience of the past, but that doesn't mean it won't in the future. The UFC is trying to expand their audience, and the cute strawweight female fighters have the potential to bring to the UFC an audience they've never had before.

Yeah! And maybe, we can appeal to dog-lovers too since one of the girls in the show loves dogs! maybe we can appeal to cooks and chefs as well since the girls seem to like cooking during the show!

Yeah, that's how crazy your statement is. "Potential audience for cute badass females"? I don't even know what to say about that. Just say it as it should be - there's a REAL audience for sexy ass females in skimpy attire.

I watched the season. The women were ordinary. None of them were compelling enough to make me want to follow them. The only person I would actually follow is Paige Vanzant because she's hot, and she wasn't even in the show.

If you haven't been following the InvictaFC fights of the division, you have insufficient information, not to mention that your opinion is a sample size of one. Also, the TUF reality TV formula is to mostly show people at their worst, not at their most adorable.

Just say it as it should be - there's a REAL audience for sexy ass females in skimpy attire.

That too.

But you are wrong about the other. You seem to think that everybody in the world is like you, and you haven't the imagination to grasp that there might be a different audience than clones of yourself and the people you hang with.

If you haven't been following the InvictaFC fights of the division, you have insufficient information, not to mention that your opinion is a sample size of one. Also, the TUF reality TV formula is to mostly show people at their worst, not at their most adorable.

Sorry, but you're the one with the limited viewpoint. Invicta gets probably less than 1% of the UFC audience. You're part of that 1%, it seems, so therefore, you don't understand the mass market. You're blinded by your love of the strawweights and you don't understand that they're simply incapable of drawing when it comes to the big time.

I'm a member of the mass market, and it's the mass market that pays for majority of PPVs. Therefore, I know for a fact that people simply won't buy a card headlined by strawweight women.

Which will co-main the card led by Jon Jones vs Robbie Lawler.

Ohhhhh, another woman-hater. To the OP (bugrimmar), you are such a bad-ass! The way you dis women fighters and claim that you only want to watch sweaty men roll around on the canvas, I can tell how kick-ass you are...and how much you love sweaty men with muscles. Yeah, you love sweaty men, preferably in mount position - and you are a bad-ass, true, hardcore MMA fan who fantasizes about about sweaty men, like Rumble and Gus. I respect you a lot more now knowing how little you want to see women and how much more you want to see sweaty men - so bad-ass!

Jarl

If Paige continues to well, she'll certainly headline a card and everyone will be salivating over her. Guaranteed.

This WMMA hate is ridiculous. A fight is a fight and a lot of times, the women fight way more passionate than the men.

I'd watch a women's Strawweight fight over any men's Flyweight fight any day of the week.

And Imagine how ez it will be to promote a super fight between RONDA vs RANDA.

As easy as it would be to promote a super fight between Chris Weidman and Anthony Pettis.

It's not a card I would ever watch. Ever.

Scratch that, I definitely would.

Coz they'd make an undercard of Cowboy/Khabib, JDS/Overeem, Edgar/Mendes and then claim Carla Esparza is the biggest-selling, most talented champion they've EVER had.

I love watching the female divisions, especially straw weight. Theres some lemons in the mix but also a lot of talent.

Back