I can't imagine a UFC card headlined by strawweight women

People said that before ronda headlined

No, people knew Ronda was a star before she stepped foot in the UFC.

On the flipside, has anyone heard of Carla Esparza aside from people who watch TUF? An even better question would be can we really believe she's the champ via winning a reality show?

You guys are all acting like a bunch of cave men. Sorry, but I would bet a large chunk of cash on Carla beating the likes of some of the guys on the roster. Maybe you guys are homos?

1. There's no star in the division.

2. The champion got crowned via reality show.

3. Can you imagine a women's strawweight championship bout being the main event with a fight like Gustaffson-Rumble in the undercard? (Since Dana said that championship bouts are always main events).

4. The women are really talented and have legit skills but men's lightest weightclasses can't draw crap as it is, even with overwhelmingly talented stars like Demetrious Johnson. Thus, can they draw fully based on just sex appeal? They'll draw me for sure (Paige Vanzant definitely will) but will it be broad enough to justify a card?

The last UFC card headlined by strawweight women peaked at over 1.2 million viewers for the main event on Fox Sports 1, matching viewership numbers for December cards headlined by ex UFC champions Frankie Edgar and Lyoto Machida.

You guys are all acting like a bunch of cave men. Sorry, but I would bet a large chunk of cash on Carla beating the likes of some of the guys on the roster. Maybe you guys are homos?

LOL

learn to read. i didn't say anything about lack of talent. i said "THEY CAN'T DRAW A CROWD".

Lol which guys on the roster would carla beat?

Wow I didn't think you could access Sherdog on your school computer

The division literally JUST started. In time stars will come and they will be treated just like every other established division. There's this thing called patience... ever heard of it?

The division is newborn. There is no reason to believe that a great star won't emerge. And for those that have followed the strawweights from the InvictaFC days, fighters like Jo Jo Calderwood are already stars. Just look at our Sherdog UFC forum's Calderwood War Wagon thread to see the truth of this:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/jojo-calderwood-warwagon-v2-0-were-gonna-need-more-kilts-2894605/

And Ronda Rousy was just given the championship crown without a single fight in the UFC, back when the UFC women's bantamweight division was formed. Does anybody think less of her for this now, now that she's defended her crown so ably on so many occasions?

3. Can you imagine a women's strawweight championship bout being the main event with a fight like Gustaffson-Rumble in the undercard? (Since Dana said that championship bouts are always main events).

Absolutely. I predict that the strawweight division will earn a reputation for exciting fights, and that the more these fighters get known, the more people will come to care greatly about these fighters and the outcome of their fights.

4. The women are really talented and have legit skills but men's lightest weightclasses can't draw crap as it is, even with overwhelmingly talented stars like Demetrious Johnson. Thus, can they draw fully based on just sex appeal? They'll draw me for sure (Paige Vanzant definitely will) but will it be broad enough to justify a card?

Is the great popularity of women's tennis, or women's gymnastics at the Olympics, due solely to sex appeal?

At any rate, as Ronda Rousey herself pointed out, the smaller female fighters are cuter. And if anime teaches us anything, it is that cute badass female fighters have a whole lot of appeal to a whole lot of people.

Last edited:

Are you referring to just PPV cards or cards in general?

I can see them headlining a Fight Night card but not PPV. At least not right now. They aren't Ronda.

As far as headlining a Fight Night card I think it'd sell better than one headlined by DJ. Some people don't watch DJ simply because he is small and I don't think that's as much of a factor in WMMA. That is people aren't going to prefer watching larger females solely because they are larger.

No, people knew Ronda was a star before she stepped foot in the UFC.

On the flipside, has anyone heard of Carla Esparza aside from people who watch TUF? An even better question would be can we really believe she's the champ via winning a reality show?

Is she the champ? i heard they crowned some nobody out of tuf but not sure what the name was...

Back