I can't imagine a UFC card headlined by strawweight women

Until women compete with men there will never be true equality.

It's like separating fighters based on their race. You'd have as many champions per weight class as there are separatable races.

This is very true. There will also never be true equality until the UFC gets rid of weight classes.

First step to equality: get rid of weight classes

Second step: book Ronda vs Carla to determine the best female fighter

Concurrent second step: all male champs fight in a free for all to determine the best male fighter

Third step: book Ronda vs best male fighter to determine the UFC champ

I would watch Joanna any day, but hey, as you can guess, I may be a bit biased :p

joanna is awesome. can't wait to see her fight for the title! :D

excellent news about the show in poland too! :cool:

I've been following MMA for quite some time. I'm not as "in the know" as I used to be, but I still pop on here a couple times a week to lurk.

I literally had no idea the UFC had a female strawweight division, let alone crowned a champion via TUF.

I knew they were talking about it and were signing some fighters, but didn't realize any had actually fought yet.

So if I have no clue about this, I find it hard to believe that the division will be headlining any time soon.

HOWEVER, I can see them throwing them on a main card, before the co-main event. Just kind of like a "HEY GUYS, CUTE GIRLS FIGHTING! WOO!" It's unfortunate, because there's plenty of talent, but that's pretty much the only way they choose to market/utilize the female fighters.

carla esparza's first title defense is against polish SW joanna jedrzejczyk, and it is the co-main event at UFC 185

10426273_10205062921948231_6992880342588210364_n.jpg

Paige Vanzant could be a star for sure. She is exciting as hell and very attractive

paigevanzant07.jpg

It's a new division and it is already 10 times more entertaining than 135.

This is very true. There will also never be true equality until the UFC gets rid of weight classes.

First step to equality: get rid of weight classes

Second step: book Ronda vs Carla to determine the best female fighter

Concurrent second step: all male champs fight in a free for all to determine the best male fighter

Third step: book Ronda vs best male fighter to determine the UFC champ

Lawler wins it all somehow and retires on the spot as the greatest MMA fighter of all time.

Paige Vanzant could be a star for sure. She is exciting as hell and very attractive

paigevanzant07.jpg

It's a new division and it is already 10 times more entertaining than 135.

being blonde,real world attractive,wmma world very attractive and murican,will only get you so far,already had this discussion elsewhere,there are more than a few girls around her age,who are far more skilled,then you have a load who are still around their mid 20's,who aren't going away anytime soon,then you'll have up and coming prospects that very few of us,at this moment in time know of...good luck to her,she seems like a nice kid,but she'll never be top 10 or around it.. imho.

No, people knew Ronda was a star before she stepped foot in the UFC.

On the flipside, has anyone heard of Carla Esparza aside from people who watch TUF? An even better question would be can we really believe she's the champ via winning a reality show?

Probably not a lot of people know of Carla. But anyone who followed Invicta should know her. I first saw her in Bellator. I can believe she is champ for winning TUF because I think she is possibly the best female strawweight (I would probably pick her in a rematch with Jag), and the field on TUF had some legit top ranked fighters.

being blonde,real world attractive,wmma world very attractive and murican,will only get you so far,already had this discussion elsewhere,there are more than a few girls around her age,who are far more skilled,then you have a load who are still around their mid 20's,who aren't going away anytime soon,then you'll have up and coming prospects that very few of us,at this moment in time know of...good luck to her,she seems like a nice kid,but she'll never be top 10 or around it.. imho.

I actually could care less for blondes, and find that most of them look alike. But Paige has a cute look, not like the normal blonde airheads.

Was simply stating that she could be a star due to her appeal, and her last fight was great. She is only getting better, way too early to just assume she isn't going to be top 10.

Plus she is only in her 2nd UFC fight and is already fighting one of the more known fighters in her weight class. The UFC obviously likes her and is going to give her a fast track to the top if she can handle it. If she beats Felice it will be safe to say that she is top 10 material.

Edit: Just checked and actually she is already top 10, so you were way off lol.

No, people knew Ronda was a star before she stepped foot in the UFC.

On the flipside, has anyone heard of Carla Esparza aside from people who watch TUF? An even better question would be can we really believe she's the champ via winning a reality show?
I've know of Carla and many of the TUF cast years before TUF started

Probably not a lot of people know of Carla. But anyone who followed Invicta should know her. I first saw her in Bellator. I can believe she is champ for winning TUF because I think she is possibly the best female strawweight (I would probably pick her in a rematch with Jag), and the field on TUF had some legit top ranked fighters.
she's the current champion,so that has to be respected,but I think there are 2 or 3 who could beat her.

I actually could care less for blondes, and find that most of them look alike. But Paige has a cute look, not like the normal blonde airheads.

Was simply stating that she could be a star due to her appeal, and her last fight was great. She is only getting better, way too early to just assume she isn't going to be top 10.

Plus she is only in her 2nd UFC fight and is already fighting one of the more known fighters in her weight class. The UFC obviously likes her and is going to give her a fast track to the top if she can handle it. If she beats Felice it will be safe to say that she is top 10 material.

..fasted tracked because she's 'hot'.....good luck to the girl,but imho,far too many girls out there that are better,never rated Herrig,but I don't see her losing,although i'll be rooting for VanZant on the night.

..fasted tracked because she's 'hot'.....good luck to the girl,but imho,far too many girls out there that are better,never rated Herrig,but I don't see her losing,although i'll be rooting for VanZant on the night.

Her last fight was great, had a lot of people talking and not just because of her looks. She's entertaining, being hot doesn't hurt though.

joanna is awesome. can't wait to see her fight for the title! :D

excellent news about the show in poland too! :cool:

I almost came to be honest when I heard the news :p And it's an 1h away by bus from my hometown so that's crazy. BUT I was planning to move abroad in 2 months --' Fuck.
I guess I will have to postpone that :p
I MUST be at the first UFC event in Poland, no way am I going to miss that.
Main event isn't some fireworks but hey, it's still a legend in Cro Cop so it will be good to see him live.

I respect the women fighting in MMA. But I just don't find it entertaining myself. Still awesome just not my cup of tea.

First question: Yes. She was mopping the Invicta mat with cans from a while ago. She also lost to GOAT Fujii. Basically anyone who knew the division before the reality show knew her.

Second question: No. she got that title against a 2-2 opponent. That's likely why JAG is ranked higher in the division, but she still deserves some credit. If she wins against Joanna, consider that as the moment she wins the belt, and if she then defends against Gadelha or someone of similar caliber, consider that her first defense and problem solved.

WSW actually has even more personalities than the HW division

In 5 years, when there is a Strawweight woman on the level of Ronda Rousey, this thread will be bumped.

...and all of the people that agreed with the TS will look like idiots.

Course, half of this thread will be banned, as well.

Back