I am thinking of ditching the alt grip

judge4100

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I was told by a former powerlifter that the alt grip for deads isn

I use to deaflift with alternate grips. I tried with fish hook grip (it's when both palms are facing your body right??) It felt so much more comfortable for me.

By alt grips do you mean one hand up and one hand down for the DL?

^Yes. And I believe that the hook grip is a double overhand grip with the thumb underneath the index finger. A regular double overhand would have the thumbs out.

Are you positive the ig "ouchie" has anything to do with your grip. I would think there could be a lot of other, more prominent reasons why this happened. I'll admit that I'm kind of a pussy because without alternate grip there's no way I would have PRed 440 last week. Maybe if I had better forearm strength... but that's another story.

No, not positive at all. You are probably right that the grip had little to do with the injury. I am more concerned about future injuries.

I've heard the same thing, it's dangerous because it twists the spine slightly. The explanation I was given was because you use different muscles depending on which way you hold the bar (palms facing or away). Again just heresay though.

I use the alt grip and just switch which hands between sets. Sometimes it feels weird, but I haven't had an injury from it... yet. I have had a deadlift injury whilst using straps in an effort to not use and alternate grip though - aparently the straps meant I could use more weight than my body (as a whole) was ready for.

Go figure.

how can you NOT use mixed grip? you need balls to use hook, i wont even use it on olys!

When i was lifting regular i would only use overhand grip (no hook) i figured there is no use in going over what my grip could do. got up to 310LB for one rep.

I've NEVER had any problems with the alternate grip!

Sonny said:
I've NEVER had any problems with the alternate grip!

Agreed, me neither. I do have a long way to go on my grip work however.

when i first began deadlifting i always used the double overhand grip. no hook though. i got up to doing sets of 445 for three. no straps either. then i had to take a long break from deadlifting, like a couple years, and when i started again my grip was really weak so i started using an alt. grip and i hated it. it felt very unnatural to me and put a lot of strange stress on my body during the lift. so now i'm back to doubl overhand and it feels good. the weight is just might lighter which hurts the ego but i'm okay with that. i'm no deezweez.

Hmmmm....
Lets see how many powerlifters we can convince to ditch the alt grip.

Yep...none, and it's for a reason.

Do you understand how much more weight you can pull with the alt grip?

Chad Hamilton said:
Hmmmm....

that's true but......it depends on what you're lifting for. the threadstarter never really stated but for most athletics, IMHO, i would reccomend a double overhand grip. obviously it builds better grip strenght which in any kind of combat sport is very important, and it actually made a much more noticeable size improvement in my back and traps than the alt grip. it always helped with my olympic lifts also because i used the same grip as i did when i would do a clean or high pull and it made those weights feel very light.

Chad Hamilton said:
Hmmmm....

What I was told was that the only people that should use the alt grip are those that are competing. This is what I was told by a real deal powerlifter, but was not my opinion. With that being said, I did deads today and could not bring myself to do double overhand. For now I am sticking with the alt grip, and may mix it up now and again with a double overhand.

To the original poster -- injuries result from an alt grip only if you don't know what you're doing and inadvertently try to muscle the weight up with your arms. The arms in a pull are basically just to hold the bar while the body lifts it.

I am a CoC and still use a mixed grip. Nobody pulls big weights who doens't hook or mix, sorry chief.

STOMP said:
that's true but......it depends on what you're lifting for. the threadstarter never really stated but for most athletics, IMHO, i would reccomend a double overhand grip. obviously it builds better grip strenght which in any kind of combat sport is very important, and it actually made a much more noticeable size improvement in my back and traps than the alt grip. it always helped with my olympic lifts also because i used the same grip as i did when i would do a clean or high pull and it made those weights feel very light.

I disagree.

http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/

This is the gym where I started.
Call and ask Rick Crain.

Back