I am thinking of ditching the alt grip

Yeah you stupid fuck. Who said anything about using straps or hooks? I meant normal dbl overhand, unaided. The closest you come is people who hook grip, like a lot of Oly lifters, and some powerlifters like Wade Gillingham.

(but yeah, pulling 700 for that many reps is the diesel, even with straps and some ugly reps)

Oh, and Stomp, grip should be trained seperately and specificly. I've made threads to this effect in the past. Holding onto the deadlift is part of the lift, but it's not the point of doing heavy pulls.

The reason I advise not using straps on the main heavy pull is is two fold A. straps aren't allowed in competition, and losing a DL due to being pussy handed is embarassing (unless you're missing a finger, like Mikesell) and B. even if you don't compete or don't plan to, you're able to develop more force/power while using straps, and it artificially aids in the deadlift besides just grip IMO.

I do however, feel that hte use of straps/hooks on some of ones DL assistance is acceptable.

Just to add a smidgen of credibility to what I'm saying, I'm a certified CoC on the #3 and could do a few other neat grip tricks. I'm not weak handed by anymeans. Except my thumbs, which are undertrained and girly. My pinch grip suxxorz.

I just started using the deadlift, and was using an overhand grip. Should I switch to the alt grip or stick with what I'm doing until I get comfortable with the weight?

You're fine with the overhand grip until it limits the weight you can pull. Beginners almost always have a stronger grip than back, so it's not a limiting factor. You'll know when it is.

never ever liked alt grip, but then again i am not lifting in competition. i do deads for strength and overhand suits me fine because im not trying to up the numbers just for the sake of it and overhand is more comfortable to me and it feels safer.

Chad Hamilton said:
Why deadlift?

why deadlift if you're not using the most weight possible is that what you're asking? because it is still a tremendous exercise for building overall body mass and grip strength and mental toughness. just because you're not using a alt grip doesn't mean you can't still use considerable amounts of weight. as i said before i was in the 460 for three range with a double overhand grip and no straps. i know that's not breaking any records but that's more than most could do alt grip or not. also as i said before i think the DBL OH grip builds more functional strength for athletics. so i think there are a lot of reasons to keep DL'ing.

CarnalSalvation said:
Oh, and Stomp, grip should be trained seperately and specificly. I've made threads to this effect in the past. Holding onto the deadlift is part of the lift, but it's not the point of doing heavy pulls.

The reason I advise not using straps on the main heavy pull is is two fold A. straps aren't allowed in competition, and losing a DL due to being pussy handed is embarassing (unless you're missing a finger, like Mikesell) and B. even if you don't compete or don't plan to, you're able to develop more force/power while using straps, and it artificially aids in the deadlift besides just grip IMO.

I do however, feel that hte use of straps/hooks on some of ones DL assistance is acceptable.

Just to add a smidgen of credibility to what I'm saying, I'm a certified CoC on the #3 and could do a few other neat grip tricks. I'm not weak handed by anymeans. Except my thumbs, which are undertrained and girly. My pinch grip suxxorz.

i disagree. i did specific grip strength work for many years when i first began lifting and did not build even close to the amount of mass or strength on my forearms that i did when i began doing deads and oly lifts with no straps and double overhand grip. also if you are athlete you usually don't have time for extra grip work when you're spending three hours practicing and 1-2 hours in the weight room every day. grip work is fine if you're a pl'er and that is a huge part of your success but not all athletes have the time to work on it. i never advocated using straps so that must be directed to someone else. i'm not doubting your credibility but i have some credibility of my own and i'm not saying disputing the fact that the alt grip helps yyou to dead lift more i'm just saying that i don't think it's appropriate in all situations and that it's not right for everyone.

CarnalSalvation said:
Yeah you stupid fuck.

AWWWW....Shucks!!! My cheeks are rosy red now. You made me blush. :redface:

Check out some of those other vids there. Some of that shit is just nuts. Platz doing 500x23 for squat impressed me. Freaks...

THe 500X23 was impressive indeed. Except that it was high rep :eek::eek::eek:gage, and Karwoski was able to nearly match it (500X20) with no specialized training.

CarnalSalvation said:
THe 500X23 was impressive indeed. Except that it was high rep :eek::eek::eek:gage, and Karwoski was able to nearly match it (500X20) with no specialized training.

True. But I'm sure Platz can get up a couple of flights of stairs without gagging..... :D

So could the Captain is his prime. Have you ever seen that pic of Kirk doing shrugs when he was in top shape?

He had an 8 pack at 275 dude.

Back