I am going to blog about returning to Brazil

Kenny from MD

Less angry than before.
@Brown
Reaction score
I previously stayed in Santos to live and train for 6 months, and I got a ton of questions about how I set up and financed the trip. I've yet to see a blog where anyone really breaks down and tracks their spending habits, so I am going to attempt to do that in my own.

This blog will be less about me personally with NO pain staking self promotion, and more about the gringo/Brazilian experience, what goes on day to day, costs, things to do, tips for traveling, etc.

I've started it now to track the preparation before I return (this time for only 6 weeks) but the bulk of the updating will be done in the summertime when I am in Rio with Connection Rio.

I hope this will help others plan similar trips and encourage more people to go to Brazil, because there is really nothing like it.

https://kennycrybaby.wordpress.com/

From what I heard it's no longer possible to escape the fine from overstaying the visa simply by getting a new passport. I hope I'm wrong though as I'm in the same situation as you and interested in the outcome. Have you heard of anyone doing this in recent years?

Looking forward to this, but bummed I won't learn <ONE SIMPLE TRICK> to escape ANY submission.

Looking forward to this, but bummed I won't learn <ONE SIMPLE TRICK> to escape ANY submission.

Hahaha yeah, there won't be a single technique video, sorry. As long as Leanrdo Lo is making videos, who the fuck am I?

From what I heard it's no longer possible to escape the fine from overstaying the visa simply by getting a new passport. I hope I'm wrong though as I'm in the same situation as you and interested in the outcome. Have you heard of anyone doing this in recent years?

Nope, but I will definitely update about what happens and how the process plays out.

By escaping the fine do you mean upon return or leaving?

I guess it has been a few years now, but when I left in 2012 I was well over (9 months) my tourist visa. I went through the desk, he looked at my passport, looked at me, handed it back to me. Back to the states I went.

And this will definitely be interesting Kenny. Make sure you track exchange rates as well. When I got there it was some of the lowest rates ever. It was 1.5 to 1 or maybe less for a long time, reached the 1.9s at the end of my second stay. I'd imagine at the current 2.56 to 1 it would be a lot more enjoyable on a long stay.

I too want to go to Rio and experience the birthplace of BJJ but man it's such a dangerous place to be. I would like to know more about how gringo's can travel there and not be mugged/robbed/shot for your cell phone.

Like going from the airport to your hotel or bjj fighter house, places to avoid, traveling to and from the bjj school etc.

By escaping the fine do you mean upon return or leaving?

I guess it has been a few years now, but when I left in 2012 I was well over (9 months) my tourist visa. I went through the desk, he looked at my passport, looked at me, handed it back to me. Back to the states I went.

You pay it when you leave. They just wrote my fine down in my old passport and then gave me an official stamped document about it too.

You pay it when you leave. They just wrote my fine down in my old passport and then gave me an official stamped document about it too.

Ahh ok. I have heard of people getting stopped and they give you a document with the fine. I must have hit the guy who didn't feel like dealing with it that day, I didn't get anything. Better to plan for it though.

I like how you are treating it as a vacation from the outset. No pressure. I loved training in Brazil, and the level was much higher there overall as far as quantity of dark colored belts on the mats, but I think going there to enjoy the culture/city first and training second would be the way I would approach it if I went back now.

Good luck on the trip, I'll be following.

I too want to go to Rio and experience the birthplace of BJJ but man it's such a dangerous place to be. I would like to know more about how gringo's can travel there and not be mugged/robbed/shot for your cell phone.

Like going from the airport to your hotel or bjj fighter house, places to avoid, traveling to and from the bjj school etc.

Like anything else, it's research and risk tolerance. Having someone else who has the experience helping you out makes it that much easier, which is why so many people stay with Connection Rio. It is well worth it. They can setup a trusted ride from the airport, and the area where the hostels reside is pretty safe.

You can figure out pretty quickly where to go and not to go, and if you err on the side of caution you probably won't have problems. If you want to do the nightlife, go with someone who knows the areas, and don't make yourself a target. Pasty white foreigner with jewelry and fancy clothes screams "rob me".

I had my cellphone and wallet stolen, both out of my front pocket, both within 30 minutes of each other during carnaval. I was well into my second trip there, was too comfortable, and had a reality check. That was in massive crowds where there was literally contact on all sides of you the entire time, it's not like you fear for it every single place you go. But if you're smart, listen to experienced people, especially make friends there that can take you places they know are ok, you'll be fine. After awhile I went places by myself quite often, traveled cross country from Curitiba to Rio via bus alone, etc., with no issues.

To say it's dangerous is subjective. I've been in Brazil coming up 4 years and I've never had a single issue. I had more encounters in the UK and USA than I've ever had here.

Personal safety comes down to the individual

Living in Baltimore is more dangerous than Brazil. I did everything I wasn't supposed to do... walked around with my ipod in hand, wearing jewlery, visiting areas that my roommates told me not to, and never had anything happen. Everywhere has a sketchy areas. If you're smart, you'll be fine. Rio being dangerous is a gross exaggeration and should not keep you from going

Awesome - this is I stayed with you and Seph for a few weeks back in 2011.

You'll like Connection Rio - pretty much nothing to do but train and really close to everything you'll need.

Are you training at Gordo's?

Living in Baltimore is more dangerous than Brazil. I did everything I wasn't supposed to do... walked around with my ipod in hand, wearing jewlery, visiting areas that my roommates told me not to, and never had anything happen. Everywhere has a sketchy areas. If you're smart, you'll be fine. Rio being dangerous is a gross exaggeration and should not keep you from going

this is true - my first time down there i had no clue what the driver looked like (he was late), had to fend off the gringo hawks (cab drivers at the airport).

got lost on the bus system my 2nd week there (no knowing any Portuguese) and found my way back.

Walked everywhere with my ipod and camera (was on a super tight budget and long daily walks were my way to kill time).

Granted it is Barra da Tijuca and it is one of the safer places in Rio.

Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Cavaca's gym split when he left Checkmat. Some of my friends are still there but most are meow training at The House with Paliti and Baiano. Regardless, this time I'll be faraway in Rio.

I decided to train at FightZone (Rico Vieira's Checkmat gym) in Copa over Gordo's. I've trained there before and learned a lot from Rico and Jackson.

Back