I am afraid doing bent over rows

there are stiff legged rounded back dead lifts, stiff legged deadlifts, and romanian deadlifts.....

The only problem I've ever had while bent over rowing was almost knocking the wind out of myself by lifting too light of a weight since I try to always use maximal force. I guess I was just being a silly goose.

Ok, how are we on page 2 and not ONE PERSON recommended a belt.

USE A LIFTING BELT!!!!
Build your core starting with lower weights, and learn good form.

Also resting your head on something like said previously can help, but it gives me a headache.

EclipseAgent said:

USE A LIFTING BELT!!!!

Also resting your head on something like said previously can help, but it gives me a headache.

Meh I am by no means an expert, but unless you are doing some serious weight (Or maybe have some kind of back condition?) a belt is doing you a dis-service. Mostly because you are in fact not getting your core "up to speed" with your lifts. This will only give you a weaker core. Belts are for when your core just can't get any stronger. I don't think that he needs a belt at this point. Maybe if he's doing say 350-400 pounds.

Mind you I don't know at what point you are supposed to use a belt in this exercise, but I've gotten up to 5X260 just fine without a belt.

Sean S said:
Meh I am by no means an expert, but unless you are doing some serious weight (Or maybe have some kind of back condition?) a belt is doing you a dis-service. Mostly because you are in fact not getting your core "up to speed" with your lifts. This will only give you a weaker core. Belts are for when your core just can't get any stronger. I don't think that he needs a belt at this point. Maybe if he's doing say 350-400 pounds.

Mind you I don't know at what point you are supposed to use a belt in this exercise, but I've gotten up to 5X260 just fine without a belt.

all I am doing here is agreeing with Sean S.

the best advice on belts i heard was from a Olympic Weightlifting coach...avoid wearing a belt as long as you can!

EclipseAgent said:

USE A LIFTING BELT!!!!

no offense but this is really bad advice. why wear a belt?

anvar said:
the best advice on belts i heard was from a Olympic Weightlifting coach...avoid wearing a belt as long as you can!
Agreed. I think (especially for beginners) that the effects of the belt will be a weaker core. Once you are pulling heavier weights then it definatly has it's uses but as a new comer I would not use one. I agree with the advice above, only use one when it is necessary and that should not be for a while.

KingSnake said:
Unless your locked up, don't be scared of bent over rows. :D

Just use good form, start light.

Also, if you've got an incline bench start on that and use dumbells to complete the same motion you would on a t-bar machine. You can build your upper back without stressing your lower back.

i disagree with taking the easy way out of exercises. T-bar row is okay, but you should be doing the real deal. Dancing around things isn't how you get stronger.

if you're scared of bent over rows, you must soil yourself at the thought of deadlifting or squating

Sean S said:

Thanks, I've been acting like a pussy and using a belt to squat and dead. I've now ditched it and, because I'm more aware of my back, my form is actually better without it.

Fedorable said:
i disagree with taking the easy way out of exercises. T-bar row is okay, but you should be doing the real deal. Dancing around things isn't how you get stronger.

I should have been more clear, I don't mean as a replacement, but if your a new lifter, T-bar rows can build your initial power.

Reverse hypers would help with the lower back too.

It sounds like this guy doesn't have any experience or training partner to teach him good form. If so, jumping into bent rows squats, and deadlifts probably isn't a good idea.

Reakt said:
yeh www.exrx.net seems to have a few exercises videos with bad form.

like this good morning: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBGoodMorning.html
does anyone do them like this? this looks like a lower back injury waiting to happen

If you are referring to his back being rounded, yes. GM's can be done straight or rounded. I perform both. The rounded allows me to hit my spinal erectors as well as glutes and hams. I would not recommend them to a beginner, but they are useful.

CoachB40 said:
If you are referring to his back being rounded, yes. GM's can be done straight or rounded. I perform both. The rounded allows me to hit my spinal erectors as well as glutes and hams. I would not recommend them to a beginner, but they are useful.

Yeah I think Westside is big into the rounding on good mornings but yeesh I don't know. Something just doesn't seem right about it.

However, when you do these rounded, what is the weight compared to your normal good mornings?

My rounded good mornings are about the same as my regular good mornings, (335x3) I'm doing that whole 10 x 3 workout. The off part to me was he looked like he would fall on his face if he had any heavy weight on the bar.

Don't be afrait of bend over rows,
just go to the straight gym.

Kaban said:
Don't be afrait of bend over rows,
just go to the straight gym.

speaking of the straight gym i went to my college gym tonight and some HUGE buff guy was wearing short shorts and a tight striped shirt where some of the stripes were see through. it looked like he shaved his arms and legs and shit. he kept walking in front of me and shit trying to be intimidating but i just looked at him like "what is this :eek::eek::eek: doing hovering around" and got back to my workout. he could have kicked my ass and raped me in the butt but still. you can't look tough dressed up like a male prostitute

OpethDrums said:
speaking of the straight gym i went to my college gym tonight and some HUGE buff guy was wearing short shorts and a tight striped shirt where some of the stripes were see through. it looked like he shaved his arms and legs and shit. he kept walking in front of me and shit trying to be intimidating but i just looked at him like "what is this :eek::eek::eek: doing hovering around" and got back to my workout. he could have kicked my ass and raped me in the butt but still. you can't look tough dressed up like a male prostitute
That French guy in Deuce Bigalow was pretty tuff. :wink:

same with me, i am only 20 and have a bad back and a messed up knee that i probably need surgery. i stick to smith maching when i do squats and rows.

Back