I’ll just say it, we should stop acting like Nunes and Valentina are great fighters.

Not trying to sound like a misogynist but you can compare the women's version of any sport to the male version and you'll think it's low level. Especially something like combat which relies heavily on physicality. Is wmma underdeveloped compared a lot of other women's sports? Yes, but how good will they really get? There is a reason why WNBA isn't popular.

Rickson.
Vitor Belfort
Sakuraba
Frank Shamrock
Funaki
Marco Ruas
Oleg Taktarov
Evan Tanner
Pat Miletech
Bas Rutten
Paulson
Mezger
Dude GTFO. Valentina might be the best striker in UFC period, while also having good grappling. The only ones even at her level in terms of striking is Izzy, Fiziev, Wonderboy and a couple of more I can't think of right now. The only one from your list I would even consider putting in the same skill category as Valentina is Vitor.

They are both occupying divisions that are absolute wastelands with no talent. They are obviously both talented relevant to their competition, and will likely both reign basically until they hit their 40s or decide to retire.

But we shouldn’t be mentioning them in the same breath as someone like Khabib, Usman, Jones, or even lesser champs like Izzy or Volk.

They are more like the dudes who won belts in the early 90s MMA. You have to take into account that they aren’t fighting good people. Amanda beating up 72 soccer moms in a row does not make her as good as Volk beating Max twice, or Izzy beating Rob once.
They'll both rip your balls offScreenshot_20210514-055906.png Screenshot_20210514-055837.png

A lot of Sherdoggers are unable to differentiate between skill levels on the one hand and strength and power on the other.

This.

Fight fans or sports fans in general have an extremely hard time differentiating between technical skill and physical attributes.

Dude GTFO. Valentina might be the best striker in UFC period, while also having good grappling. The only ones even at her level in terms of striking is Izzy, Fiziev, Wonderboy and a couple of more I can't think of right now. The only one from your list I would even consider putting in the same skill category as Valentina is Vitor.
Lmao, triggered.

I bet you were one of the ones looking forward to Rhonda dominating boxing, also.

Lmao, triggered.

I bet you were one of the ones looking forward to Rhonda dominating boxing, also.
I just named Holly's head kick one of the five greatest mma moments in another thread. Ronda was a fraud, Valentina is not.

Respectdully the OP is mixing up two entirely different concepts - you can be a great fighter and you can have insufficient competition due to the weak skills of your competitors.

Ah man, come on. Ten years ago I would have absolutely agreed with you that the womens divisions were a wasteland with literally only a few notable exceptions. Hell, you know what, I would have largely agreed with that six years ago.

But I would say we're AT LEAST where we were in say, 2003-2005 with the mens divisions with the womens divisions now. Talented fighters, while not being the most well rounded.

It's gotten wildly better, is getting better, and will continue to get better. And this comes from an overall hater of WMMA until the last three years or so.

Ok, TS. Can you now name some examples from early 90's that were technically better and more well rounded in martial arts than Valentina?
Marco Ruas? Pele?

...probably not. Just playing devils advocate for the moment.

For wmma standards they are very good. I repeat, for Wmma standards.

Ah man, come on. Ten years ago I would have absolutely agreed with you that the womens divisions were a wasteland with literally only a few notable exceptions. Hell, you know what, I would have largely agreed with that six years ago.

But I would say we're AT LEAST where we were in say, 2003-2005 with the mens divisions with the womens divisions now. Talented fighters, while not being the most well rounded.

It's gotten wildly better, is getting better, and will continue to get better. And this comes from an overall hater of WMMA until the last three years or so.

WMMA is still a complete wasteland with only 2-3 fighters that are watchable.

Back