Hwa Rang Do

someone wrote to me because there was some chump on there talking all about sambo...LOL. Anytime the word sambo comes up anywhere, I get an e-mail ;)

But, that forum has some real ignorant people. I did not even bother posting...not worth the time.

hey steve, do you think that ninja from sunday posts there?:icon_chee:icon_twis:icon_chee

LOL!! I bet! Dude, you have to give me that video!! That is a classic. I will edit and post that thing proper!!

File share it to me...PLEASE!!!

Good to see you guys again. I'd say it was a good day for NYCS ;)

LOL!! I bet! Dude, you have to give me that video!! That is a classic. I will edit and post that thing proper!!

File share it to me...PLEASE!!!

Good to see you guys again. I'd say it was a good day for NYCS ;)

haha, im waiting for him to upload it so i can see it myself.

i saw your guys, they were doing really good....i thought alex was much more technical then that redhead wrestler kid, its a shame he lost

haha, im waiting for him to upload it so i can see it myself.

i saw your guys, they were doing really good....i thought alex was much more technical then that redhead wrestler kid, its a shame he lost

Everyone has a bad day. Props to that kid. I am still proud of Alex. He is one of my oldest students (been with me since I started teaching pretty much). He has not competed for almost two years, due to work, inturruptions in training, etc. So, I was happy to see him back on the mat!

martial arts is all relative...yes, i agree, hwa rang do and tae kwon do, don't particularily fair well in the ring per se but you have to remember that it was never designed for the ring.

Koreans were farmers back during Feudal Japan. Japan at that time was the wealthiest empire in the world and they went on a rampage to conquer all of Asia. They eventually marched towards China, but to get there, they had to get past the Korean farmers.

So China sent "spiritual warriors" to Korea to teach them how to defend themselves. Remember that we are talking about a very limited time before Japanese troops invaded. So many techniques that would be ridiculous to contemplate using today, were completely valid back then. During that time, High Kicks, Spin Kicks, Jump Kicks etc...were all taught because Samurai's came on horseback swinging 32" razor blade katana's at them. So the most important thing was to knock that sucker off the horse. Usually, these high kicks were done leaping from trees. once the Samurai was on the ground, the rest of the Hwa Rang Warriors would jump him.

This also brings up the reason why they trained to punch and kick through wood; because of the wooden plates of armor that the Samurai's wore.

Just as many Grapplers poke fun at the Korean Arts today doing BJJ against a Samurai back then would have been pointless.

Sorry for the history lesson. I don't even study Hwa Rang Do or Tae Kwon Do, but i do believe that every martial arts has or had it's time and place.

Really? If it doesnt work against competition how is it supposed to work in a real life situation where you are scared shitless with blades and horses involved.

BJJ pointless against a samurai? Where did Japanese Jujitsu come from?

BJJ pointless against a samurai? Where did Japanese Jujitsu come from?
Jujitsu became popular when Samurai's were no longer needed for warfare after the introduction of rifles by the West. Jujitsu was primarily used to "control" an opponent when Samurai's were out in the town usually drinking. They weren't in battle armor and used jujitsu to subdue an opponent without having to kill him, meaning drawing the katana. They became rogue samurai's and taught this "civilized" way to practice, keep in shape and earn a living.

Most "grappling" in contemporary KMA is crappling, just bad JJJ/aikido.

Hwarangdo is a offshoot of hapkido, like kuksoolwon. Their grappling is aiki jujitsu base of hapkido originally. They added some newaza in 21st century, but originally it is hapkido based with grappling from traditional jj since hapkido is from aiki jujitsu.

Wouldn't it be better to just pick up Judo or BJJ, and go to the local boxing gym?

Hwarangdo is a hapkido offshoot. It is a traditional MA. Many prefer modern MMA-practical styles like judo, bjj, or boxing. I think hwarangdo does have some application in self defense since it is a hapkido offshoot which derives holds from aikijujitsu. Aikijujitsu derived styles like aikido or hapkido, etc are not so practical today in the ring.

Hwarando and Taekwondo did not exist in past centuries.
I think all Asians were farmers. Japanese and Chinese also farmed.
Also, I dont think Japan was the richest at the time. They just had most soldiers mobilized since Hideyoshi have just united japan after wars and wanted to get rid of mobilized soldiers from local areas.
There are no historical records of chinese "spiritual warriers" comming to Korea. China sent several armies that suffered defeats by Japanese until Li Ru-song, a Korean descent Chinese general, attacked Japanese forces with 50,000 soldiers and became first chinese to defeat japanese in the war.
Chinese helped Koreans by helping train Korean troops that were poorly trained and lacked readiness for war.
I dont think people used high kicks to subdue mounted samurai. Korean kicking-based art, taekkyeon was a commoner art and game. Soldiers didnt use high kicks in armor.
Also hwarangs did not fight in Choson dynasty's war against Japan. Hwarangs are from silla dynasty.

You were right about every martial art having its time. Korean MA's like taekwondo and hwarando often served as nationalistic symbols after japanese occupation. However, they ironically drew much influence from arts like Karate and aikijujitsu. Many traditional arts of Japanese budo influenced the development of 20th century Korean MA. Back then, besides brazil and maybe japan, mma probably didnt exist. In US, people were all about boxing and Bruce Lee films.
martial arts is all relative...yes, i agree, hwa rang do and tae kwon do, don't particularily fair well in the ring per se but you have to remember that it was never designed for the ring.

Koreans were farmers back during Feudal Japan. Japan at that time was the wealthiest empire in the world and they went on a rampage to conquer all of Asia. They eventually marched towards China, but to get there, they had to get past the Korean farmers.

So China sent "spiritual warriors" to Korea to teach them how to defend themselves. Remember that we are talking about a very limited time before Japanese troops invaded. So many techniques that would be ridiculous to contemplate using today, were completely valid back then. During that time, High Kicks, Spin Kicks, Jump Kicks etc...were all taught because Samurai's came on horseback swinging 32" razor blade katana's at them. So the most important thing was to knock that sucker off the horse. Usually, these high kicks were done leaping from trees. once the Samurai was on the ground, the rest of the Hwa Rang Warriors would jump him.

This also brings up the reason why they trained to punch and kick through wood; because of the wooden plates of armor that the Samurai's wore.

Just as many Grapplers poke fun at the Korean Arts today doing BJJ against a Samurai back then would have been pointless.

Sorry for the history lesson. I don't even study Hwa Rang Do or Tae Kwon Do, but i do believe that every martial arts has or had it's time and place.

Jujitsu became popular when Samurai's were no longer needed for warfare after the introduction of rifles by the West. Jujitsu was primarily used to "control" an opponent when Samurai's were out in the town usually drinking. They weren't in battle armor and used jujitsu to subdue an opponent without having to kill him, meaning drawing the katana. They became rogue samurai's and taught this "civilized" way to practice, keep in shape and earn a living.

Not really. Jujutsu were used by samurai during battles too. (yes with armors on!) Many of those aikido-like grappling were used to disarm opponents in battle. Jujitsu evolved after unification of Japan under Tokugawa Dynasty. People like Chin Gempin and Akiyama Yoshitoki have brought chinese kenpo to japan to add atemi stikes to jujitsu to make it more practical for commoners to use in everyday life since commoners do not wear armors. After japan industrialized and guns game to japan via US, samurai class disappeared and people like Kano turned jujitsu into Judo.

Its crap and very expensive...Their headquarters is in Downey....I remember when I was I was a kid I wanted to join but they cost so fucken much....then when the Ninja craze came out they all of sudden had their own verison of NINJA fighting....now that grappling is popular they now have groundfighting techniques as if they had it all along....what a joke....soon they will be an MMA style and will be having guys fight in the cage...

Not really. Jujutsu were used by samurai during battles too. (yes with armors on!) Many of those aikido-like grappling were used to disarm opponents in battle. Jujitsu evolved after unification of Japan under Tokugawa Dynasty. People like Chin Gempin and Akiyama Yoshitoki have brought chinese kenpo to japan to add atemi stikes to jujitsu to make it more practical for commoners to use in everyday life since commoners do not wear armors. After japan industrialized and guns game to japan via US, samurai class disappeared and people like Kano turned jujitsu into Judo.

Just to correct this history: Guns came to Japan BEFORE the shogunate, with the Dutch, in the 1500s. Nobunaga set the stage for the shogunate in large part because he was so dominant with his use of arquebus wielding commoners.

Battle of Nagashino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How old are you? I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your 10 years old...

You guys familiar with a Korean sport that is essentially volleyball, but with kicks?

Wouldn't it be better to just pick up Judo or BJJ, and go to the local boxing gym?

yes, because then you at least do some live training.

i mean, yeah, *maybe* this guy trains against resisting opponents, but the demo is horseshit. who the hell is just gonna lay there while you play sit-and-spin on their chest and execute a bunch of joint locks?

You guys familiar with a Korean sport that is essentially volleyball, but with kicks?

Southeast Asia, not Korea. That game is played from Burma all the way over to the Indonesia. It's not played in Korea.

Back