Social Hurricane Helene aftermath, Milton approaching

it's now expected to make landfall as a category 4 with winds (before 195 mph gusts) at over 130 mph. a 15 foot storm swell for the tampa area. sarasota is going to get absolutely leveled. there's a tornado watch issued to central and southern florida including miami. airports everywhere are shut down. they're preparing for one of the the most destructive storms ever in the state. anybody left in the barrier islands are going to die - at least that's what the officials are saying. they are pleading for the rest of the remaining people there to leave.

i'm just waiting for the floridian version of whippy mcgee to bust out the surfboard and say to hell with this noise.
My family and I vacationed in Sanibel Island 8 times over the years with my 2 kids. Loved the place, you dont drive but take a bicycle everywhere. Tons of shells, Lots of the island is protected and not allowed to build, plus they put a height restriction on condos, and everyone is chill. Was going to retire there, but it got leveled 2 years ago, and probably will again. The only drawback to the place is only 2 golf course and one course is terrible and short, but has plenty of fishing and Fort Myers has some nice courses and spring training baseball, so could make it work.
I was close to buying a condo right before the last hurricane to use as a rental and live there like 2 weeks a year. That plan has changed, until the weather calms the fuck down, plus insurance would be brutal. Thanks Desantis.
The storm has jogged south, and praying for Sanibel/Captiva Island, they were still rebuilding from the last one and some of our favorite places to eat said fuck it and not rebuilding after the last storm.
St Armands Circle near Sarasota floods every hurricane and I think it might be done. St Armands has upscale restaurants and stores. There is a Wyland gallery there, that I have got some art from, hopefully the art is safe.

Imagine peeing your panties for a little gust of wind lmao Florida pussies just hold on to your dumb ass trucker hats and put your meth pipe down for a second

Compete nothing burger

Come on man. The truth is out there. What Biden has been doing is anti American citizen, and pro illegal. Trump was pro US citizen.
this is the most worthless "say nothing" statement i think i've seen all year.

i don't think biden gives a fuck about US citizens but if you think trump does, you're insane.

this is the most worthless "say nothing" statement i think i've seen all year.

i don't think biden gives a fuck about US citizens but if you think trump does, you're insane.

Trump cares. Maybe for just his legacy, but he cares. His border policies vs Biden. If you can't see that you are blind.

The floods were insane. Too bad so much money went to illegals.

Corporations and business owners: "Hey how can we monetize this?"

Economists: "Eh, is that REALLY an issue?"

It's probably going to hit as a CAT 4

I wouldn't consider that a nothing burger

Low end cat 3 or high end cat 2 are more likely, but NHC will keep it at cat 3+ just so people don't get complacent.

To be fair, it really doesn't matter all that much and people are usually too focused on the category number. Storm surge and fresh water surge are the real dangers and it's coming with cat 5 surge because it's been a major for so long pushing all that water in front of it.

Come on man. The truth is out there. What Biden has been doing is anti American citizen, and pro illegal. Trump was pro US citizen.

Bro, my fellow law enforcement skeptic, he took $155m from FEMA disaster relief funds and re-allocated it to immigration enforcement. That's what built the cages. He gave it to COPS, and widened their breadth of authority so now BP can operate 100 miles from the border, which gives us now plenty of videos of actual citizens getting harassed by Border Officers, nowhere near the border.

I'm gonna find it hard to take you seriously in the Cop thread if you're gonna overlook that because heavy policing is ok so long as its directed at "them thar illegals!"

You joke, but my wife has a student who's parents who are planning on flying to Disneyland next week lol. They were supposed to go during fall break this week and rescheduled it for next after they heard about the storm.

People will do anything for the mouse.

I'm also genuinely curious to see if they can actually fly down there this weekend. I assume they'd be going down there on a Sunday.

They're going to end up visiting waterworld instead of Disneyworld lol.
It may just be a post apocalyptic aquatic world of looters and raiders on modified aquatic vehicles

He will really lose his mind now.

"
Milton’s race from a Category 2 to a Category 5 hurricane in just a few hours has left people wondering if the powerhouse storm could possibly become a Category 6.

The hurricane grew very strong very fast Monday after forming in the Gulf of Mexico, exploding from a 60-mph tropical storm Sunday morning to a powerhouse 180-mph Category 5 hurricane − an eye-popping increase of 130 mph in 36 hours."
It's a logarithmic scale so a category 6 would be expected to be 10 times as destructive as a category 5. As bad as things look that seems unlikely for the next few years although I'm sure it will happen eventually at this rate.
It won't sustain that intensity. Its actually better for Florida that it strengthened this much this fast where it's at, as opposed to doing so closer to land. The Yucatan Peninsula looks pretty f*cked though
Fair enough--I just heard them call it a cat 4. Anyway, they're predicting storm surge of up to 4.5 m or ~15 feet and that it's enough to sweep your whole house away from its foundation. All the officials are saying if you stay you should expect to die. Category 4 or 5 seems like a minor distinction at that point.

In suburbia, about 17 miles east of the closest bigger body of water, which is actually Tampa Bay.

Would have been more worried in my old house, which is 3 miles off the actual bay. Not sure if I would have stayed then, but probably.
You are very unlikely to be safe from 15 foot storm surge.

LOL That fucking piece of shit Elon is charging hurricane victims for the Starlink equipment that he "donated" to the relief effort.

He jumped into the relief effort to promote himself just like he did with the Thai cave rescue.

I have no idea how this scamming motherfucker still has a fanbase.

Right-Wing conspiracy theories popping up claiming this hurricane was produced by government technology designed to target Republican voters!! I mean.. when you know it isn't climate change you gotta start having an open mind until we figure out what the hell is going on.

It was clearly the modern day sodom and gomorrah that is the disney corporation being smitted by the Lord; and more proof god hates old people.

Trump cares. Maybe for just his legacy, but he cares. His border policies vs Biden. If you can't see that you are blind.

The floods were insane. Too bad so much money went to illegals.

if you would do a single google search or even just scrolled back two or three pages, you would learn that FEMA administers border security funds to the illegal immigrants in need of food and shelter. disaster relief funds are budgeted 100% separately. you would also learn that donald trump CUT disaster relief funds and INCREASED border security funds.

It's a logarithmic scale so a category 6 would be expected to be 10 times as destructive as a category 5. As bad as things look that seems unlikely for the next few years although I'm sure it will happen eventually at this rate.

Fair enough--I just heard them call it a cat 4. Anyway, they're predicting storm surge of up to 4.5 m or ~15 feet and that it's enough to sweep your whole house away from its foundation. All the officials are saying if you stay you should expect to die. Category 4 or 5 seems like a minor distinction at that point.

You are very unlikely to be safe from 15 foot storm surge.
According to evacuation maps and the hurricane center's maps, my address is ok. Not out of all harm's way of course, but not a flood area. We shall see though...

Back