Humans do not have free will

You're about as free as you're capable and willing to be.

Of course, one man's definition of "freedom" might vary greatly from that of the others. Sometimes so much that they are in conflict with one another.

How you define "free will" has a lot to do with whether you believe it to exist or not. Just like with "God". If you think God is a bearded man in the sky, then you're probably less likely to believe in the concept. If you believe free will to be absolute control and freedom of choice over our actions, thoughts, and our "destiny", then you're probably less likely to believe in that concept, as well.

Last edited:
So what is the point of this intoxicated rambling about nihilism disguised in Wikipedia level science? Why don't you just roll over and croak?
What's the point of truth? I can't tell you that, you'd have to ask God. But dont turn from the truth just because it scares you.
{<Scared}

Probability waves prove free will because if there is no choice than there would be no choices. Strict determinism would rule.

i think we really exist as discrete persons and were created by an intelligent loving God. what the exact nature of the person is on both counts is a bit amorphous and had to know for sure.

I am, therefore you fap.

Many people identify with their thoughts as proof of being. Why would you post it as an answer to the op?

are we really doing this?

ts claims we don’t exist

“I think, therefore I am” is the counter argument.

Thinking would be “proof” of existence.

it doesn’t mean you are your thoughts.

I can think I’m Superman.

it doesn’t mean it’s true, but being conscious is proof of some type of existence.

Simple-Limp-Indusriverdolphin-size-restricted.gif

are we really doing this?

ts claims we don’t exist

“I think, therefore I am” is the counter argument.

Thinking would be “proof” of existence.

it doesn’t mean you are your thoughts.

I can think I’m Superman.

it doesn’t mean it’s true, but being conscious is proof of some type of existence.
I thought ts was aiming more to the idea of "you" being the ego or conciousness etc. As in "you" ( the ego etc.) being an illusion. If you say "I think therefore I am" what is the "I" that is doing the thinking?

You are a collection of atoms evolving through time according to the wave equation. "You" do not exist, your ego and "consciousness" is an illusion, you are a Turing machine that evolves through time completely determined by the physics of the particles that make up your body.

Everything in this material universe that we are trapped in is just particles bouncing around against each other. The very thoughts in your head are just electrons bouncing around according to the Schrodinger equation. The thought that you're going to think 5 years from now is exactly defined by the evolution of the wave equation of your body and the world. "You" don't control the thoughts in your head, they are just electrons evolving through time. You do NOT "choose" to think thoughts, the thoughts just happen. "you" dont even exist to control the thoughts in the first place. You do not have free will and no coping will change this. You do not control your life and you do not "choose" anything that has ever happened in your life. Your just a system of atoms, evolving through time.

You, ultimately, will be shredded apart by super computers so that your atoms can be reorganized into computronium that feel the maximum pleasure for the maximum time. This IS the ultimate goal. This is what those who research artificial intelligence and quantum information theory are working towards.

Any political philosophy that isn't this, is low IQ cope.

What's the point of truth? I can't tell you that, you'd have to ask God. But dont turn from the truth just because it scares you.
{<Scared}

I think you're the one that's scared homie. Accepting that there may be a supernatural component to our consciousness would require you to face the truth that you might end up being accountable for your life by 'God'. It's much easier to just put up some juvenile shitposting to claim nothing you do matters because everything will be eventually annihilated. What good does this belief do for you anyway? You're condemning yourself to a pointless life. The kind of life that leads to bitterness, resentment, and cruelty.

You're about as free as you're capable and willing to be.

Of course, one man's definition of "freedom" might vary greatly from that of the others. Sometimes so much that they are in conflict with one another.

How you define "free will" has a lot to do with whether you believe it to exist or not. Just like with "God". If you think God is a bearded man in the sky, then you're probably less likely to believe in the concept. If you believe free will to be absolute control and freedom of choice over our actions, thoughts, and our "destiny", then you're probably less likely to believe in that concept, as well.

free will is a central tenet of Christianity fyi. however since they dont believe in a bearded man in the sky i guess this is not relevant to your post.

read my edit

My point was, if a person defines God as a "bearded man in the sky", then they feel like they can easy disprove its existence, and thus not believe in the concept. Because of course, there is no bearded man in the sky.

If a person defines "free will" as absolute control over our actions, thoughts, destiny and so forth, then they can also feel like they can easily disprove the existence of free will. Because of course, no man can truly say that they are in complete control of everything that they do, external factors play a huge part.

However, if a person has as more nuanced, complex, and well-constructed definition of what "God" or "free will" might be, then their existence can no longer be so easily disproven.

A lot of times people are just arguing against a straw-man of their own creation, which might be their vision of "God", or "free will", but not necessarily that of a believer's.

Before we even begin to argue about "free will", we should first try to explain our definition of it.

I've pondered that, I remain unconvinced, but of course it could be true. Really the question of free will is not decided despite me writing grandiosely in the OP.

How do you figure a human brain could generate "free will"?

the human brain is a computer that slows down consciousness so our souls can have a limited experience as physical beings. its not what we use to think so much as it is what we use to slow down consciousness for this experience with limitation.

My point was, if a person defines God as a "bearded man in the sky", then they feel like they can easy disprove its existence, and thus not believe in the concept.

If a person defines "free will" as absolute control over our actions, thoughts, destiny and so forth, then they can also feel like they can easily disprove the existence of free will. Because of course, no man can truly say that they are in complete control of everything that they do, external factors play a huge part.

However, if a person has as more nuanced, complex, and well-constructed definition of what "God" or "free will" might be, then their existence can no longer be so easily disproven.

A lot of times people are just arguing against a straw-man of their own creation, which might be their vision of "God", or "free will", but not necessarily that of a believer's.

Before we even begin to argue about "free will", we should first try to explain our definition of it.

why make a point about a bearded man in the sky when the only religion that believes in that are the Mormons? although i would be shocked if they allowed their God to have facial hair come to think of it.

Back