Humans do not have free will

Your fucked in the head, i dont want to even imagine what behavior of yours you justify by "im a powerleas atom" lol.
I live my day to day live as though I have free will, while knowing that we're all just arrangements of atoms evolving through time.

So, I should either be arrested at birth or never at all?
Sounds like a bunch of bullshit if there is no free will, release all prisoners and let them house in your home no free will and all.
You guys are missing the point.....Just because there is no free will, doesn't mean that there isn't such a thing as "evil" in our human world...Doesn't mean we shouldn't correct it....It doesn't mean the person shouldn't get punished.

There is obviously still evil/good in the world......Should it go unpunished just because it was a chain reaction and the person didn't decide? No.

That is a huge wall of text, but probably. We are just a bunch of chemical reactions in our brains. SSRI's are pretty good evidence. Mess with someone's seratonin levels in their brain and it can make them act wildly different.

I live my day to day live as though I have free will, while knowing that we're all just arrangements of atoms evolving through time.
What if Free will does exist but it was done at the inception of the big bang.

That's my other theory...Everything is determined, the chain reaction does happen from the big bang....but before the big bang goes off, everybody, you and me do our choices, we all do our choices from the get go.....As the Universe expands those choices that we made in the inception of the big bang, manifest themselves as time expands.

Thus "Choice" did happen but just not in the normal "human" life linear time frame, it happened in the big bang.

You guys are missing the point.....Just because there is no free will, doesn't mean that there isn't such a thing as "evil" in our human world...Doesn't mean we shouldn't correct it....It doesn't mean the person shouldn't get punished.

There is obviously still evil/good in the world......Should it go unpunished just because it was a chain reaction and the person didn't decide? No.

Few legal systems judge, or even really accommodate the concept of evil.

14586937.jpg

All those conditions are what give you free will.
I've pondered that, I remain unconvinced, but of course it could be true. Really the question of free will is not decided despite me writing grandiosely in the OP.

How do you figure a human brain could generate "free will"?

I've pondered that, I remain unconvinced, but of course it could be true. Really the question of free will is not decided despite me writing grandiosely in the OP.

No you didn't and no you don't. The molecules in your brain just happened to arrange such to make you think you did. Which is why none of us should take your point of view any more seriously than some young earth creationist (that is, if only we all had a choice in the matter <45>).

No you didn't and no you don't.. The molecules in your brain just happened to arrange such to make you think you did. Which is why none of us should take your point of view any more seriously than some young earth creationist (that is, if only we all had a choice in the matter <45>).
Determinism is a widely accepted viewpoint held by physicists and philosophers, unlike young earth creationism.

Man I was hoping your reply would be a lot more confrontational lol.

I go back and forth on it too. Sometimes the truly libertarian position on free will does seem necessary, even though the concept seems to break down upon inspection.

The way I see it, human brains are products of evolution that allow us as individuals to navigate a complex world, and decide between alternatives. I don't think the deciding happens causa sui, but rather that it's driven by our values and priorities. To be more or less free in this case means being able to act in alignment with those. If I'm hungry and I'm prevented from eating, I'm less free than someone who is able to choose to resolve their hunger. If I'm dissatisfied with a leader but have no say in the matter, I'm less free than someone who does.

Ultimately, are the values and priorities reducible to the motion of atoms? Probably sort of, depending on your theory of mental objects. As a language-using person you're probably only able to truly articulate them down to a certain level, at which point they aren't up to you any more than you can choose whether or not to be hungry. But in the space between necessary and constructed values there's enough room for a morally significant amount of freedom, and that freedom is probably what we naturally judge people on anyway.

Back