• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would've Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson went?

Yeah I think Jones would be the rightful favorite. He's such a phenom, and his heart and grit are, as you say, on a completely different level to Rumble.

Yet, Rumble's style would definitely be very dangerous for Jon. Jones has an incredible chin, but it's never been tested to the extent Rumble would. Rumble has never been outstruck at 205 and is extremely fast and powerful. It would be a scary fight for Jon.

I agree Rumble hits like truck and has inhuman power but you know as well as I do if you just rely on your power to win you'll only get so far. I went full IN! with Rumble on the rematch with DC thinking he would've learned so much from their 1st fight. DC survived the big shot and made quick work of Rumble, hard lesson learned for me don't bet Rumble against wiser more toolz fighters and don't use that mortgage money to make the bet...

If anyone could do it, Rumble could. Assuming he came in on his A game, I think he'd have a good shot. Stylistically Johnson is a nightmare for Jones.
Stylistically alot of opponents were a nightmare for Jones until he showed them otherwise.

Jones has never been rocked, and he knocked out the hardest nogin of them all - DC.

Based on the previous fights you just have to guess Jones wins.

I think he would smash Rumble with elbows.

Rumble wouldn't have laid a decent shot on him as a cautious Jones makes it easy & Rumble crumbles yet again when the fight isn't going his way for another sub loss.

Stylistically alot of opponents were a nightmare for Jones until he showed them otherwise.
Name them. Only one I can think of as being a nightmare matchup of that level was Gus, and that fight was about as close as they come.

the fight ends with rumble bleeding from both eyes.

Rumble has the power to stop anyone- so there’s that

But likely outcome is Jones via sub after chipping away at him.

And most likely outcome is the result being changed due to jones popping and pissing hot.

Jones is too intelligent of a fighter to get caught early and not drag Rumble into the kind of deep waters where he would mentally quit.

Rumble gameplan in the D.C. Fight was trrrible y the fuck would he initiate the take down??? I almost want to see a 3rd fight just cuz th gameplan was SO bad

Jons reach would be a big factor. I think if anything Jon takes him down if he is in trouble standing.

The other way for me though, Rumble represents both someone with a long reach and perhaps even more importantly the ability to land with explosive power from long range.

A lot of Jones problems with Gus were that his "safe" range wasn't safe as it was vs Cormier, Glover, Vitor or Rampage facing an opponent with a longer reach, in Rumbles case you can add significantly more power/speed to the mix.

On the flipside of course we all know how weak Rumble is off of his back, if Jones gets his own with time to work you'd figure its potentially over. How easy that might be though is I think more questionable, neutralising DC's wrestling does not make you a better wrestler than him anymore than Crocop was a better wrestler than Coleman.

Rumble has been susceptible to eye pokers in the past.

Advantage=Jones.

Jon would get hit, but he knows how to tie up to avoid further damage or get away using his hands and distance. Jon gets hit by most punches he sees coming anyway, so he is usually not caught off guard. Not to say he couldn't be KOed, just that I'm not sure Rumble would be the guy.

Theoretically, yes, Rumble could KO Jones. Realistically, Jon would weather the storm, wear Rumble out, and finish him later on. I could even see Jon going to the legs often to impede Rumble's mobility and take some steam off of Rumble's punches. I can also see Jon catching Rumble's feet for TDs. Jones just has more ways to win than Rumble does.

Rumble would have to aim to put Jon out early, but if he is too eager and reckless, he could dump his tank and then Jon would just smell blood and pounce. The Rumble that fought Davis looked real good, but Davis fought scared, which could have been a factor in Rumble looking invincible.

Rumble probably has a decent first round and actually rocks jones once or twice. Then jones eventually would have got close and roughed him up in the clinch the whole fight or just takes him down and finishes him.

Jones never faced anyone with rumbles power and rumble can close the distance so easy to get in and land on that chin.

Put this into context, the way he put Glover out with one punch, the first punch. Gus had to eye poke and land +100 shots over 3 rounds to get the finish on Glover. Jones had the fight of his life against Gus and squeaked out a decision and which he was lucky to have gotten as it could easily have been given to Gus.

And then jones had wins over cormier when in the first fight he had the t levels of a little prepubescent girl and then... well he popped in the second fight so yeah.

I think rumble would finish jones easily, jones never faced anyone with that power rumble has.
Rumble has alot of power but hes too predictable for jones. The most similair fighter jones faced to rumble was rampage and rampage looked so one dimensional against him it wasnt even a fair fight. Jones vs Rumble would have went down similair.

Rumble has alot of power but hes too predictable for jones. The most similair fighter jones faced to rumble was rampage and rampage looked so one dimensional against him it wasnt even a fair fight. Jones vs Rumble would have went down similair.
This is true rampage is similar to rumble but he was also much older and not in his prime when he faced jones for the belt. But yeah the power wrestle boxer is just what rumble is.

I think rumble has that diversity in his striking to just beat anyone in the lhw division.

Now that I think bout it I’d love to see rumble vs Volkan.

I think rumbles itching to come back. I do have the feeling we will see him return some time in 2018.

This is true rampage is similar to rumble but he was also much older and not in his prime when he faced jones for the belt. But yeah the power wrestle boxer is just what rumble is.

I think rumble has that diversity in his striking to just beat anyone in the lhw division.

Now that I think bout it I’d love to see rumble vs Volkan.

I think rumbles itching to come back. I do have the feeling we will see him return some time in 2018.
If he comes back it will be HW, have you seen the guy lately?

Rumble could have walked into Saitama in 2004 against Fedor and had a chance. He's got that rare kind of power.

I dont know if jones would last a round with rumble.

Rumble would have a good shot as any early on, but I'm thinking Jones eventually wears him down and finds that neck.

Back