How would you rate this console generation (ps5, Xbox Series X)?

I took a break from the Warroom to checkout the Arcade...

...to discover the Arcade is just another Warroom.

Console generation is okay, just not so many games worth playing now.

Kinda weak. PS5 only has 2 exclusives (Demon Souls Remake and FF7RP2). XB has none.

Does Leon not know how to circle away?

Ooops, wrong thread lol. Fucking Leon giving us Belal as champ.

Anyway, the great thing about this gen is that It's allowed me to tackle a lot of my library from better days.

Last year was pretty stellar for releases, and now we have a Shadow of the Erdtree and a far improved Lords of the Fallen recently, if you're a Souls fan, but it's pretty lacking overall.

I'm really glad I wasn't able to get my hands on a PS5 when I was trying to. I can wait for the definitive editions of FF 16 and FF7 Rebirth.

I feel you bro. Get away from that damn fence lol

No love for this gen. Where is the gameplay?....dont need fancy graphics for that....

First, media streaming as a business model causing "gems few and far between" is entirely unsubstantiated, wtf are you even talking about, the ignorance of your youth is showing, this largely replaced cable, which is also a subscription model, and the cable companies were never content providers.
Most of streaming content is unremarkable, if not outright mediocre or bad. People suffer from selection bias because they tend to only watch good shows, not what is mostly produced. That isn't to say there isn't good content due to streaming, whether gaming or media. But streaming tends to warp the incentives (aka streaming has led to longer seasons, for example, and thinner story lines).
Consumers clearly prefer it
I mean...consumers prefer Warzone too, and I don't see any of us claiming it's the greatest quality game of all time.
Third, GAAS is chiefly associated with casual gaming, as with smartphones and tablets, and in those ecosystems, subscription services (ex. Apple Arcade, Google Play Pass, Netflix Games) have been introduced specifically to preclude GAAS microtransactions. That's because subscriptions fuel guaranteed revenue, LOL.
Casual gaming? Of the 10 best selling games YTD on console, 2 of the top five are MLB the show ( GAAS) and MWIII (GAAS).
You voided your entire attempt at a counterargument because you didn't think this through beforehand. In addition, you just repeated a bunch of points I made first to you right back at me.

Concession accepted.
Ah yes, the classic MadMick I don't want to engage with the argument so let me just claim victory. I've been clear with my position: How is a console manufacture supposed to differentiate their console form a competitor without some content exclusivity? Note how this generation's console sales have been soft in part due to a lack of quality titles, exclusive or not. Not to mention that despite the PS5's weaker lineup of exclusives, it's absolutely buried Xbox due to having better titles and the built in audience from PS4's much stronger set of exclusives.

Most of streaming content is unremarkable, if not outright mediocre or bad. People suffer from selection bias because they tend to only watch good shows, not what is mostly produced. That isn't to say there isn't good content due to streaming, whether gaming or media. But streaming tends to warp the incentives (aka streaming has led to longer seasons, for example, and thinner story lines).
LOL, you're doubling down on this? I didn't think you'd be that stupid. But, let's focus and punish you for this.

1. Again, internet streaming (i.e. Netflix, Disney+) largely replaced cable and satellite packages. Cable & satellite were subscription models. So this was anti-consumer and diluted quality that was previously good with... subscriptions? Hmm. Pretty dumb take. You didn't address this.

2. HBO Max is a streaming subscription-based service. It replaced HBO which was cable and satellite subscription channel. This channel is renowned for having revolutionized TV drama in the 21st century following the arc-based narrative of The Sopranos. This ushered in what is widely agreed to be the golden age of television drama, and resulted in a greater volume of high quality television than ever seen before.

3. "Longer, thinner storylines" due to a "warped incentives"? American television has historically always stretched hit shows into many unjustified seasons on our non-subscription based networks because advertising revenue from commercials is what yielded revenue. They just kept going and going for years past where they should have stopped, until the crowd's eyes turned away because the show deteroirated to a shadow of its former self, with the TV company milking a corpse. Meanwhile, with subscriptions, the content providers are still incentivized to produce more content from the major hits, as these lead to more subscribers, but unlike the advertising model, they aren't entirely dependent on churning out more minutes like Charles Dickens being paid by the word. Their money comes from subscription dollars, not just in-show advertisements. So, in fact, this has the opposite effect that you've contended, and insulates them, financially, so they can focus on greater quality if they so choose.

4. "Selection bias"? That's consumers making their own choice of what to consume. That's pro-consumer. Why would anyone be against that? But if we're talking about the volume of quality content provided in exchange for those subscriptions dollars, one need only look at IMDb Top 250 or awards ceremonies like the Emmy's. On IMDb, every show in the Top 10 is from a subscription model except for the nature documentaries by the BBC or PBS (ex. Planet Earth, Blue Planet). Shows from subscription models dominate thee Top 250 chart. Presumably, if only the good shows were top-heavy, and non-subscription television shined in depth, this wouldn't be the case. As for the shows that garner awards today?

Emmy Nominations by Network: Netflix Leads With 107 Total Nods

Streaming king Netflix led the pack for the 2024 Emmy nominations with a total of 107 nods, boosted by “Baby Reindeer,” “The Crown,” “Ripley” and more...

FX landed in second place with a record 93 nominations for the network — including 25 for “Shōgun” and 23 for “The Bear” — narrowly topping HBO/Max, which received 91 nominations, including 19 for “True Detective: Night Country” and 16 for “Hacks.”

Disney as a whole took home a total of 183 nominations, up from 163 last year. In addition to FX, that figure included 38 nominations for ABC, 26 nominations for Hulu and 19 nominations for Disney+.

Apple TV+ also had a strong showing with 72 nominations, which included nods for “Lessons in Chemistry,” “The Morning Show,” “Palm Royale” and “Slow Horses,” while Prime Video received 37 nominations, including 17 for “Fallout” and 16 for “Mr. and Mrs. Smith.”

Here’s the full tally of major Emmy nominations by network and streamer:
  • Netflix – 107
  • FX – 93
  • HBO/Max – 91
  • Apple TV+ – 72
  • ABC – 38
  • CBS – 38
  • Prime Video – 37
  • NBC – 33
  • Hulu – 26
  • Disney+ – 19
  • MTV – 10
  • Peacock – 9
  • Fox – 6
  • No Network – 6
  • Paramount+ – 6
  • Bravo – 6
  • Comedy Central – 5
  • BBC America – 5
  • Meta/Facebook/Meta Quest – 4
  • National Geographic – 3
  • PBS – 3
  • Investigation Discovery – 3
  • Showtime – 3
  • Adult Swim – 2
  • Discovery Channel – 2
  • Shudder – 2
  • YouTube – 2
  • Starz – 1
  • BET+ – 1
  • Food Network – 1
  • Gala Film – 1

Netflix, FX, HBO/Max (Showtime), Disney+, Hulu, Apple TV, Paramount+, Prime Video...subscription models. Netflix garnered just barely fewer nominations than all five major OTA networks combined (107 vs. 118).
tenor.gif

You stepped in it.
I mean...consumers prefer Warzone too, and I don't see any of us claiming it's the greatest quality game of all time.

Casual gaming? Of the 10 best selling games YTD on console, 2 of the top five are MLB the show ( GAAS) and MWIII (GAAS).

Ah yes, the classic MadMick I don't want to engage with the argument so let me just claim victory. I've been clear with my position: How is a console manufacture supposed to differentiate their console form a competitor without some content exclusivity? Note how this generation's console sales have been soft in part due to a lack of quality titles, exclusive or not. Not to mention that despite the PS5's weaker lineup of exclusives, it's absolutely buried Xbox due to having better titles and the built in audience from PS4's much stronger set of exclusives.
I could continue to pummel you as I have above, it's fun, but instead I'll point out the obvious.

The consensus here on Sherdog prior to this exchange was clearly that exclusives this generation are poor ("the worst in my lifetime" one poster said). So if console exclusives are required to sell consoles, and they're so bad, then why are 9th gen console sales so good? The PS5 is setting records with its pace. The Switch has shattered all expectations. The Xbox Series X/S are falling off, but not enough to offset the generation as a whole.

Back