How would you counter this half-guard pass?

Skywards

White Belt
Reaction score
How would you counter this? I'm a half guard player but lately I keep getting passed with this. Rather than "don't get put into that position in the first place" I'm more keen on advice from the actual pass-position.

YouTube - BJJ - Half Guard Pass

It's not a great position to have to work from, but you have some options, depending on what arm position you are able to secure and how well he is able to kill your far arm. Off the top of my head the Classica sweep (on YouTube, check it out), wrapping the legs and coming up for a kind of double leg takedown, and rolling over both shoulders ('tornado' roll) are all viable options to counter the pass. You can also do a few things with a butterfly hook, but I find a lot of guys are good at preventing it.

How would you counter this? I'm a half guard player but lately I keep getting passed with this. Rather than "don't get put into that position in the first place" I'm more keen on advice from the actual pass-position.

YouTube - BJJ - Half Guard Pass

I ask for the exact same thing a lot of time ago in the half guard thread :) , and got great responses.

Here you go: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/greatest-half-guard-thread-ever-602664/index61.html

:wink:

Anyway, I still think that's one of the hardest pass ever you can be put in, really difficult to recover from there. I know you don't want to read the "don't get put in that position in first place", but being myself an HG player (not that really esperienced anyway :D) I would really try to anticipate it if I were in you.

i'm sure there are better options but i've had good success with the armtriangle sweep when they switch back or if they bring up the knee i go to the leg hug and roll over to my knees. I'm by no means a halfguard expert but these have worked well for me. (so far)

It's not a great position to have to work from, but you have some options, depending on what arm position you are able to secure and how well he is able to kill your far arm. Off the top of my head the Classica sweep (on YouTube, check it out), wrapping the legs and coming up for a kind of double leg takedown, and rolling over both shoulders ('tornado' roll) are all viable options to counter the pass. You can also do a few things with a butterfly hook, but I find a lot of guys are good at preventing it.

Yeah the classica is perfect for this. When they switch their hips and isolate your arm, unless their base is very solid they're walking into it.

Has anyone ever landed the second technique in that video^^^. Hitting that would stun the top guy stupid.

JRT6, I am a purple belt and have landed the classico sweep(with different grips) from half guard on brown belts.I was dumbfounded when I landed it for the first time on a higher belt:). Since then it has become my go to sweep from half guard as I am constantly trying to improve it.

In reality, if you time it perfecly you can land the sweep with no grips,by just doing the backwards roll ( I have yet to do this on higher belts yet).

I think it was mentioned on other half guard threads by other posters, but the way I set it up is from Z half guard. I get the grips on the leg and sleeve and go for the scissor sweep from half guard..most guys generally do not get swept but they push back into you to maintain base..and boom..you go for the classico sweep. As mentioned in the video, it is imperative that you turn the opponent with your grips,like turning a steering wheel.

JRT6, I am a purple belt and have landed the classico sweep(with different grips) from half guard on brown belts.I was dumbfounded when I landed it for the first time on a higher belt:). Since then it has become my go to sweep from half guard as I am constantly trying to improve it.

In reality, if you time it perfecly you can land the sweep with no grips,by just doing the backwards roll ( I have yet to do this on higher belts yet).

I think it was mentioned on other half guard threads by other posters, but the way I set it up is from Z half guard. I get the grips on the leg and sleeve and go for the scissor sweep from half guard..most guys generally do not get swept but they push back into you to maintain base..and boom..you go for the classico sweep. As mentioned in the video, it is imperative that you turn the opponent with your grips,like turning a steering wheel.

I'm a former Relson student so Z guard is alien to me (doing HG at a GB school is like starting over). You have a video?

Z guard is knee shield half-guard, usually with a cross-collar or shoulder grip with the hands.

Kind of like that. @_@

Take care,

Oli

As Oli mentioned Z Guard is basically a knee shield guard. I find it very effective in controlling the distance between me and my opponent and for setting up deep half guard entries. Basically my top knee ( the shield) is my "sensing" knee..to feel if/when my opponent gives me pressure or not.when you feel the pressure coming in..boom.. you give in and roll backwards for the sweep.
JRT6, I will try to find a video that explains the sweep much better.

Appreciate the replies. I went through the half-guard thread as well. The classica sweep seems appropriate but looks difficult to land without the gi(I do no-go exclusively). I'll try it out though.

So @ 2:45 here(from a reply in the half guard thread):

it looks like he goes for the "octopus guard" as Eduard Telles calls it. And from there you can sweep, take the back, do a "banana split" etc. That's one of my go-to moves. It's a similar position but the other guy didn't kill his arm, apply his weight, and position himself as suggested in the first video I posted.

I tried to see myself going through the other suggestions but I don't quite get it together. When I'm put in the position I can barely move at all without giving up the half-guard so all I've done thus far is pseudo-spaz as I release and hope for a scramble :S

I have found a very informative video on what to do to counter the half guard pass the TS stated.Furthermore, it gives insight on the classico sweep. All the credit to Aesopian for his outstanding explanation.

The counters to the half guard pass (followed by the classico sweep) starts around 3:00

Pass Prevention (LDHG/DHG) | BJJ Instructional Videos | Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu | Aesopian

As seen on the vid, the classico sweep can be done in no gi as well (With reference to the vid,in the gi, just grab the opponents left arm gi sleeve and gi at the ankle (or knee..but the sweep is easier if you can get the ankle grip)

I personally find that putting the opponents hand (his left hand) into your "pocket" is imperative. Basically, you really want to turn the opponent like a steering wheel.

Hope this helps.

Just get your elbow between your arm and his hip. If he can't settle his hip into you, he can't get any pressure to start to break your guard and pass. If you make enough space you can take his back too. Saulo has it in his book.

The Aesopian video pretty much covers the counter I use. The first step is controlling the far arm to prevent them from coming over. Eventually they will break through that if they are commited. When they do timing is the key to to hitting the sweep or knee bar...if you let them settle in it very difficult.

I train with a strong wrestler who outweighes me by a bit...he uses this pass all the time and it's hard to counter...I usually end up getting my elbow in for saulos "survial posture" and ending in somewhat of a stalemate. Against most people I can get back to full guard but again it depends on their base.

This is a very simple pass that its overlooked in pure BJJ schools, lucky for me i have cross-trained and so have some other BJJ guys at my old school.

This kind of pass where you basically sit, its very dangerous and should not be done without a pant to grab on.

Why? because if uke looses the legs and immediatly goes to a bridge and roll, tori has absolutely no way to prevent a roll because he has no base. As in the video its even worse, because if the traps your arm, you can push with both arms to free the trapped arm, then pass the arm over his shoulder and put it on the side of his head or shoulder and then bridge with that extra leverage.

What its done to prevent a simple bridge and roll in gi grappling its shown in this video.

YouTube - Judo - niju garami (halfguard) pass - Kashiwazaki

At around 4:20 Kashiwazaki explains the importance of the grip to prevent a bridge and roll, with a pant its kind of easy to grab and pull through the back of the knee to prevent extension, but in no gi, its very very hard to win against the leg of a trained individual unless you can elbow hook the back of his knee and lock hands.

Alright I did some more research and found this as well:

I've got plenty to work with now - thanks guys :)

I like that Saulo version.

2nd~! I can't wait to try this.

I do no gi mostly but I think it can work without the belt grab since we're pushing and not pulling it's mostly incidental.

Back