How would you approach training if in CroCops situation?

The Wire

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Just curious, but with this weekends fight approaching there has been plenty of talk that Mirko had 5 weeks notice for this fight. Obviously its tough to answer without knowing exactly where the fighter is at(for example GSP had 5 weeks notice for Hughes in the third match but was already training, whereas Crocop wasn't training)

When you are coming off of a vacation and have 5 weeks to train is there more of a focus on just sparring and hitting mits then opposed to the strength lifting and conditioning. Do you try to cram more in a short period or is it business as usual and just pray the fight doesn't hit the late third round :eek:

You think fighters only train when they have an upcoming fight and otherwise just lay around all day?

Cro Cop just needs to get his left leg back in full working order and its lights out!!

Right leg = Hospital

Left leg = Cemetery!!! :icon_twis

You think fighters only train when they have an upcoming fight and otherwise just lay around all day?

"for example GSP had 5 weeks notice for Hughes in the third match but was already training"

Yes I obviously indicated in my post that it is my belief that fighters sit on their asses all day until they have a scheduled fight.

"for example GSP had 5 weeks notice for Hughes in the third match but was already training"

Yes I obviously indicated in my post that it is my belief that fighters sit on their asses all day until they have a scheduled fight.

I don't know if this was sarcasm or not, but you're right. You obviously did. My fault.

mir's gonna throw a loopy right hand leaning forward, cro cop left kick to the dome. i would just train to watch for that crappy classic punch and set that sucker up. other than that mirko's a very seasoned fighter, has taken out bigger guys than mir, and knows what he's doing. he's a reliable knockout artist. mirko doesn't need to play in mir's punching range, but mir needs to play in that range.

Cro Cops left leg will do nothing these days, as he has realized how predictable a strategy centered around a single limb makes him. Straight left down the pipe ahoy!

I would think he would concetrate on conditioning and sparring. He is probably strong as he can be so its all about conditioning and specific game plans.

The weight difference really got me, I figured Mir would be lighter. I think most have a foreboding feeling that Mir is going to maul right through CC. I do too, but I am a sentimentalist and really would love to see CC go out on a huge win like this and then retire in peace.

In response to the TS, if I were in CC's shoes I would quickly work on extra take-down defense, and mainly really crisp and fast boxing style power punches. Hard, straight jabs, and big right hands, hooks, and uppercuts inside. We all know how Mir responds to being hit hard in the face! Only if CC wobbles Mir, then step back and unleash the kick heard 'round the world.

Back