How would Shogun\Machida 3 play out.

Machida should certainly be the logical favourite.

Even if Shogun is your favourite fighter...you need to be honest and say Machida is a higher level fighter at this point.

I think Machida would be faster than Shogun in a third fight, and would have a greater chance of winning. Shogun looked his best when he fought Chuck and Machida the first two times (very fast and crisp - incredibly powerful leg kicks), but since that last knee surgery (after Shogun/Machida 2) he hasn't used those kicks much at all, and seems to be a permanent step slower than he was.

However, Shogun is able to take an unusual amount of punishment and has walked through Machida's best strikes before. Machida probably won't be able to KO Shogun, but Shogun has the power to KO Machida. If they fight a third time, Shogun has a chance to land a KO strike, but it seems more likely that he would get out pointed. I'd like to see a third fight.

I think Machida improved since his knock out loss ,I noticed he put his hands up a little higher than the shotokan style of of low guard(See the Bader fight ).Machida's weakest point is basically his chin,the same overhand right that knocked him out didn't even faze Gus.
He'd be very careful the next time around,and whatever happens,I don't see the fight playing like the second devastating fight.

Machida's last five:

Shogun - L
Rampage - L
Randy - W
Jones - L
Bader - W

Maybe Lyoto should beat someone of note before we begin speculating how he'd do against the top tier? He only won the belt because Rampage was nice enough to hand it over to Forrest and Rashad was there right in time to collect the prize.

Machida has looked exactly like the same guy since Machida - Shogun 2. He just hasn't won like he did prior to that fight.

Shogun meanwhile has looked like a complete mess, even in the fights that's he's won.

Even if we operate under the premise that both guys have fallen off, you can't say with a straight face that Machida has fallen off more than Shogun.

Win or lose, in his last 5 fights, Machida has looked like Machida. Shogun has devolved into this sloppy brawler who looks nothing like the guy who spectacularly KO'd Machida in their 2nd fight.

Edit: I should also mention that it seems your post is implying Shogun is in the top tier, but Machida is no longer in the top tier, based on their records.

Post Machida - Shogun 2:

Machida (2-2):

Wins
-----
Brandon Vera
Forrest Griffin

Losses
-------
Jon Jones
Rampage Jackson

-----------------------------

Shogun (2-3):

Wins
-----
Forrest Griffin
Brandon Vera

Losses
-------
Jon Jones
Dan Henderson
Alexander Gustafsson

So neither guy has set the world on fire.

Last edited:
I don't want to see this fight. Irrelevant.

Shoguns career is over, why speculate?

3 knee surgeries and any athlete is long done. We already saw what happened anyway, a prime Lyoto got knocked the fuck out.

To the guys saying shogun would win easy, in what fight since machida shogun 2 has shogun looked anywhere near that level?

EDM_6432.jpg

I think Machida would easily dispose of the fallen idol known as Shogun. Machida would likely end the fight via crane kick. What say you?

You are late. Other Machida huggers have already pounced on the fact that Shogun made the ultimate sin of having a competitive standup affair with Vera and losing to Gus, while Machida has beaten young and dominant prospect Couture and the worst matchup possible in a slow wrestler that got KOd by renown power puncher Tito Ortiz.

Shogun has deteriorated significantly and Machida has still stayed on top.

Very hard to say IMHO, I don't think Shogun has the agility to work Machida from a distance as effectively as he did in the first match but he does still have a big advanatge in chin and the ability to land those overhands consistantly.

You are late. Other Machida huggers have already pounced on the fact that Shogun made the ultimate sin of having a competitive standup affair with Vera and losing to Gus, while Machida has beaten young and dominant prospect Couture and the worst matchup possible in a slow wrestler that got KOd by renown power puncher Tito Ortiz.

:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back