how treat a sprained ankle?

Ted-P

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Ive sprained my ankle pretty bad few days ago and I've been looking to rehab properly this time around.

But I have found rather conflicting research on how to approach the rehab.

I have actually come across articles that told me that I should not baby the injury and use the ankle much I can. Rather conflicting from the old RICE approach that I have been taught.

ankle injuries are complete ball busters, stop messing around and go to PT.

first, RICE method until there is no more swelling. The elevation is important and often neglected - don't. If there is bruising, and you elevate it, the bruising should be higher on your foot. If you're not elevating it enough, the bruising will be towards the bottom of your foot.

Ice it 20 minutes every 2 hours, as much as you can. Obviously this could be inconvenient, but if you are off your feet, you have no excuse.

When you can, see a doctor about how to properly wrap and rehab it.

Source: prevention and care of injuries course, 3 months ago.

Quoted from an older thread:

There are literally countless studies documenting how an ankle sprain will predispose you for future ankle sprains (the risk will double or more) and how proprioceptive training can reduce the risk of future ankle sprains (even more so for people with a previous sprain).

Basically, what happens is that, after a sprain, certain muscles get inhibited and your overall neuromuscular coordination shuts off. More severe and/or recurring sprains can lead to more permanent damage (scar tissue on the ligaments and so on). Protecting your ankle by excessive taping and bracing might temporarily reduce the risk of injuries but will also prolong the inhibition. What you need to do is get all the muscles to fire properly and build their inter-muscular coordination.

For muscle activation, spend some time with simple resistance exercises (depending on your current condition, you might not need more than a week of two). Use resistance bands and work on inversion, eversion and dorsiflexion exercises (eversion is the most important to work on, make sure you isolate the ankle and the entire ROM comes from there).

For the neuromuscular coordination, you need to do simple proprioceptive training. You could use funny gadgets like balance boards, bosu balls and other weird shit, but you can easily get the same training effect with zero costs:
  • Start with balancing on one foot on the floor.
  • If/once you have that down (i.e. more than 20 seconds without losing your balance), repeat the same thing with your eyes closed.
  • Once you have that down, repeat the same thing, but this time look at the ceiling (tilt your head up as much as possible) and close your eyes (keep your head tilted).
  • Once you can do those, work the same progression, but this time balance on your bed mattress instead of on the floor.

It's a quick learning curve, as long as you spend a few minutes every day the whole process won't take more than a month or two. Once you do that, then the best thing you can do is do some agility drills (jumps, changes of direction, and so on), and avoid using restrictive footwear (vibrams are great for neuromuscular coordination).

The sexiness and smartness of that un-named poster pretty much seethes out of the quoted text. It's palpable.

/Maybe a little homo

Don't listen to that guy. ^

RICE it I'm recovering from a bad grade 3 right now. Currently going to PT after being on crutches for a month and a half. RICE until you can move it and put weight on it. DON'T LIFT ANYTHING WITH A FULL LOAD. Meaning no squats or deads until you're healed. If its a grade 3 that is.

Hah. I share that with people whenever anyone asks me.

Fortunately haven't sprained my left ankle since that post. Did sprain my right ankle for the first time though (can't remember when).

edit: Looked it up. It was a minor sprain to my right ankle in May of 2012. Can't believe it was that recent.

Last edited:
DONT RICE

Heat, compression, activation

Don't listen to that guy. ^

RICE it I'm recovering from a bad grade 3 right now. Currently going to PT after being on crutches for a month and a half. RICE until you can move it and put weight on it. DON'T LIFT ANYTHING WITH A FULL LOAD. Meaning no squats or deads until you're healed. If its a grade 3 that is.

There was actually a huge discussion about a year ago talking about the conventional wisdom of RICE.

There was actually a huge discussion about a year ago talking about the conventional wisdom of RICE.

I used no ice whatsoever in my grade 2 ham tear last august. I noticed zero difference in terms of how long it took to reach a full recovery (or any other noticeable differences, for that matter).

Anecdotal account, no doubt, but still, that (considering I have dealt with a bunch of tears over the years, including another recent ham tear) plus the fact that there is no clear evidence to support the use of ice in a tear has me doubting the accuracy of the ice recommendations.

/2

Teatment plans for sprained ankles have incorporated RICE in some form or another. I will agree though with Miaou that there are differing views.

Teatment plans for sprained ankles have incorporated RICE in some form or another.

That is obviously true. RICE has been the universal textbook approach to dealing with this sort of acute injuries for ages.

...but the point is that it is not based on solid evidence.

Quite frankly, when people ask me what I think about it I just tell them "Use ice if you want to. There is no evidence it will help with healing, but it will indeed help with pain management. Make sure you don't use ice before sports or any other activities that will stress the tissues, because ice will blunt the pain and may indirectly lead to you stressing the injured tissues more than you otherwise would, which could indeed be counter-productive for your recovery."

There is no evidence it will help with healing, but it will indeed help with pain management.

There's actually a ton of evidence based studies that show 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off icing will help an injury, especially one such as this.

Fiance is getting her DPT now I'll see if she can send something over.

That is obviously true. RICE has been the universal textbook approach to dealing with this sort of acute injuries for ages.

...but the point is that it is not based on solid evidence.

Quite frankly, when people ask me what I think about it I just tell them "Use ice if you want to. There is no evidence it will help with healing, but it will indeed help with pain management. Make sure you don't use ice before sports or any other activities that will stress the tissues, because ice will blunt the pain and may indirectly lead to you stressing the injured tissues more than you otherwise would, which could indeed be counter-productive for your recovery."

No question.

But unfortunately most people associate pain management with injury treatment...

^ The study you just posted has nothing to do with your contention:

Intra-articular temperatures of the knee in sports

Summed: Temp decrease = decreased inflammation = stronger speedy recovery.

Back