how treat a sprained ankle?

^ I'll be interested to see said "ton of evidence".

that was just one article. But cooling the inflamed area will decrease inflammation which will allow for healing and recovery to take place.

So in other words, as long as your inflamed you won't heal. Icing decreases that period of time before healing. Most beneficial in the first 7 days of injury.

^ The study you just posted has nothing to do with your contention:

it does, but refer to my other posts for a more clear view. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match but icing an injury does help.

Even for spinal cord injuries cold saline is used to reduce inflammation to prevent further damage and promote recovery

Hmm, this article is a stretch...

Some people think of Inflammation as a normal part of injury healing process and in does not necessarily need to be treated. Pain should be dealt with but you can do that with meds instead of ICE... Now there are exceptions to this as in the case of Rheumatoid Arthritis where its inflammation gone wrong and the inflammatory prcess should be dealt with (with meds)... But I am no doc, and I am sure there are differing sentiments here...

it does, but refer to my other posts for a more clear view. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match but icing an injury does help.

You other posts assert icing helps in healing from acute injury and they assert there is tons of evidence to support this notion.

The one study you referenced doesn't offer any support for your assertion (it doesn't even involve icing!).

that was just one article. But cooling the inflamed area will decrease inflammation which will allow for healing and recovery to take place.

So in other words, as long as your inflamed you won't heal. Icing decreases that period of time before healing. Most beneficial in the first 7 days of injury.

The irony here is that, in acute injuries like an ankle sprain, inflammation is a necessary step towards healing.

I spelled exceptions/acceptions... Fuck, I need a coffee!

You other posts assert icing helps in healing and they assert there is tons of evidence to support this notion.

The one study you referenced doesn't offer any support for your assertion.

The irony here is that, in acute injuries like an ankle sprain, inflammation is a necessary step towards healing.

you'd get hit in the eye with an icicle as a kid or something? To say that ice has no therapeutic properties is outlandish. To spread the claim that the reduction of inflammation is not beneficial to the healing of an injury is equally outlandish.

Oh well, don't ice. No sweat off my back.

I'd you get hit in the eye with an icicle as a kid or something? To say that ice has no therapeutic properties is outlandish. To spread the claim that the reduction of inflammation is not beneficial to the healing of an injury is equally outlandish.

Oh well, don't ice. No sweat off my back.

Lulz! :icon_chee

I am not trying to fight you on this. I use the RICE formula for treatment most of the time...

Article #1: Would be interesting to add the group of nothing done but pain meds, compression and rest as a comparison...

Article #2:
Assessments made at 7 days showed a trend in favour of the group receiving cold therapy, although this did not reach significance. It is concluded that cold therapy together with compression may have a beneficial effect but that a single application in the accident and emergency department is not justified when a background therapy of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication is given.

Isn't really conclusive either.A no significance result in a test of 143 people is just that; insignificant...

I don't have access to the full text of the first study you quoted, but according to the abstract it examines the differences between 3+ days of ice vs heat therapy, and not the efficacy of ice therapy itself.

According to the full text of the second study you quoted, they had a decent sample size (143), they examined 5 different parameters (severity of injury, ability to weight bear, time of follow-up, range of movement and pain relief), and they found no significant differences in any of them.

Ok, let me help you out, here.

If you're interested to know more about this subject, take a look at these two reviews (there is open access to the full text of the second one):

The Use of Ice in the Treatment of Acute Soft-Tissue Injury: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials

Does Cryotherapy Improve Outcomes With Soft Tissue Injury?

What is the evidence for rest, ice, compression, and elevation therapy in the treatment of ankle sprains in adults?

Basically, what all three papers, doing a review on the relevant literature, suggest is that ice therapy can help with pain management, but there is insufficient evidence to support the notion that it helps with healing.

To say that ice has no therapeutic properties is outlandish.

So, which is it? Is it that there is tonnes of evidence for the effectiveness of ice, or that the effectiveness of ice is so obvious that it doesn't actually need evidence? I am pretty sure you can't say the latter about *anything*.

I don't have access to the full text of the first study you quoted, but according to the abstract it examines the differences between 3+ days of ice vs heat therapy, and not the efficacy of ice therapy itself.

According to the full text of the second study you quoted, they had a decent sample size (143), they examined 5 different parameters (severity of injury, ability to weight bear, time of follow-up, range of movement and pain relief), and they found no significant differences in any of them.

I have the first study if you want me to e-mail it to you.

I wonder why they didn't have a group with no heat or cold therapy.

Also,

Total n = 37
n (immediate cold therapy) = 21
n (delayed cold therapy) = 9
n (heat therapy) = 7

Last edited:
^ I appreciate it, toons.

It's a pretty old study with a protocol that doesn't allow for any conclusions on the efficacy of ice, and it seems the samples used weaken any conclusions even more. Since there are a number of much more recent literature reviews on the subject so I'm not particularly interested in that one study.

Thanks for the gesture!

Last thread on this subject turned sour fast. Why would you subject your self only to one source of treatment. Using a combination of heat and ice along with proper rest and the PT and the coast is clear. Brought me back from two fractured ankles, doubt ill ever be at the place I was but Im pretty darn close.

go to a PT they are going to make you ice the ankle alot and slowly progress into doing the wobble board

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back