How to use Athletic Tape

Kuroi Kaze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What is the proper method to tape up my fingers and toes to prevent mat burn and injury for grappling?

Any pictures would defintely be helpful.

you should ask your trainer this, because you really want someone with you to tape you and show it to you in person.

some jumbled text will just confuse you.

well i don't have someone to exactly lay this out, so hence the posting of the thread.

I like taping my pinky to my ring finger because I've dislocated both a number of times. I rip the athletic tape down the middle, so I have to thin strips and tape above and below the middle knuckle. Little tip, wrap the tape all the way around one finger before you wrap it around both, it will be less likely to slip.

thanks rory. anyone else have insights? especially toe wrapping?

my thoughts are that you shouldn't train if you dont have a trainer. you won't know when you're doing something wrong, and when you get real training you'll have to unlearn all the shit you did anyways.

look rather than i taking the time to explain my school, how about you just answer the question.

Kuroi Kaze said:
look rather than i taking the time to explain my school, how about you just answer the question.
what kind of school doesnt teach you how to wrap your hands and feet?

i cant help you learn to tape if i cant tape your hands in front of you.

Any pictures would defintely be helpful.

Got a digicam or camera phone?

C'mon it's not like I'm asking for my whole hand to be taped up for MMA gloves.
Just some finger/toe taping tips to help prevent matburn and injury.

If you dont have the common sense on how to do that, or the ability to ask you teacher, mabey you need to rethink how things are going for you...

Or heres a novel idea, instead of being a jackass when someone asks you a ?, you could answer it so mabey then they might be able to help you better.

If you dont tape it you will get jiu jitsu skin. Its awesome, not only does it withstand rolling, its also blue/purple. Everyone should have jiu jitsu skin. If you still want to tape it, i suggest you wrap tape around the areas you want covered :) If you want to protect your fingers, i suggest you tape the injured one to a good one. I put one strip below the lower joint and one strip above it.

You don't need tape for that. Just roll, if you get hurt, then you put the tape on to restrict the movement.

Other than that, if it's not an injury, suck it up.

who would have thought a good sensible question was going to turn into this thread.

bah i wish the mods would just delete off-topic replies.

because i asked about taping doesn't automatically give people rights to question my training, my gym, my background or anything else. if you have knowledge, share. if not, get the fuck out of the thread. it's simple as that. i'm hoping to get someone like hayliks or one of the other good grappling posters in here to answer me.

as for jiu-jitsu skin, i've been in jits (my instructor likes to abbreviate) for awhile and i don't think i've seen blue skin?!?

also why would i need to suck it up? i'm trying to prevent a broken finger or toe...wtf is there to suck up about that?

i kind of expected "here's a link, it has some pics" or maybe an explanation of what you prefer but maybe that's just too fucking much to ask.

Kuroi Kaze said:
who would have thought a good sensible question was going to turn into this thread.

bah i wish the mods would just delete off-topic replies.

because i asked about taping doesn't automatically give people rights to question my training, my gym, my background or anything else. if you have knowledge, share. if not, get the fuck out of the thread. it's simple as that. i'm hoping to get someone like hayliks or one of the other good grappling posters in here to answer me.

as for jiu-jitsu skin, i've been in jits (my instructor likes to abbreviate) for awhile and i don't think i've seen blue skin?!?

also why would i need to suck it up? i'm trying to prevent a broken finger or toe...wtf is there to suck up about that?

i kind of expected "here's a link, it has some pics" or maybe an explanation of what you prefer but maybe that's just too fucking much to ask.

IF you wanted a specific person to reply you could of used this magic invention sherdog has called a private message.

Fight_Song said:
i cant help you learn to tape if i cant tape your hands in front of you.

Listen cocksucker, he's most likely training at a bjj school or judo school, in which case they usually dont have extensive classes on how to tape your hands and feet.

your a fucking moron. thank you that is all.

Kuroi Kaze said:

It's not going to prevent a broken finger or toe. It might prevent a sprain or an over extension but it is not going to stop breaking a bone. So in that case, suck it up and stop worrying about it because athletic tape is not going to stop an injury of that magntitude.

Back