How to not get lost...

Kframe

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Ok. Some time ago i had to leave my mma gym for personal reasons. Now i only had months boxing and then 6months mma at the time i left. I remember one of the major isssues i had with the bjj class was i was nearly totally lost. Sure i picked up the and repped the basics of guard passing and mount control and switching postitions and what not but it seamed that learning new techniques was so haphazard so random..

For the last few months i have been in a local mma gym and he only had me working on basics. Sadly he decided that he was going to cancel the adult class and focus on the children's class. So i have found a good bjj school in my are and am going to attend.

My question is, with the semi random nature of sport BJJ training how the hell do i keep it straight? So damned random. I actually liked the GJJ curriculum of the Gracie academy that is near me, it has a progression from one to the next. Problem is they are massively more expensive then the local sporting bjj place.

So when i do start at this bjj place what tips do you guys have to keep me from getting lost again.. My goal is still one armature cage fight before im to old.

Why is it that so many bjj schools have such a random teaching style. Why do so many lack a decent ascending curriculum? Case in point. I remember when i started mma, i remember it was i think the third or forth class after the basics was done, the first real technique i was shown was the gift wrap... Kinda above a 1 weeks rollers pay grade...

I appreciate the help.

Why is it that so many bjj schools have such a random teaching style. Why do so many lack a decent ascending curriculum? Case in point. I remember when i started mma, i remember it was i think the third or forth class after the basics was done, the first real technique i was shown was the gift wrap... Kinda above a 1 weeks rollers pay grade...

I appreciate the help.

I teach based on a positional system.

Mount
Back
side control, knee on belly, north south
guard pass
guard sweeps
Takedowns
gaurd subs
top 1/2 guard
bottom 1/2 guard
turtle

We cover one topic per class.

So just grap a training book and youtube.

scribble a game plan for every positions above.

* I added takedowns as one of the topic for your own personal research journal. we cover one takedown at every class.

Last edited:
You can keep a journal, that helps me keep track. It's hard for me to expect much structure in Bjj my first year was me getting subbed constantly and the instructor not really saying much. His English was also terrible so even when he taught something I didn't really understand

Maybe that's why my fundamentals suck?? LoL

Im ok with the whole getting subbed constantly bit, that's part and parcel of being a white belt. I just actually want to learn something ffs. I hated the fact that there was no real reason for the time and pacing of when techniques were taught..

If it was less random and more about doing basics and then building in a linear fashion id have a easier time.

Im ok with the whole getting subbed constantly bit, that's part and parcel of being a white belt. I just actually want to learn something ffs. I hated the fact that there was no real reason for the time and pacing of when techniques were taught..

If it was less random and more about doing basics and then building in a linear fashion id have a easier time.

I'm just a white belt too and what I do is show up to a lot of open mats and work specific things. Its a lot a higher belts which is kinda intimidating but once you get past it it's super helpful.

It's pretty cool cause I'll ask someone to teach my say a guard pass, work it and than try working it with someone else. This way I get to learn the different nuances that people use. I learn the technique but when I work it with someone else they might show me a slightly different grip or something that works better for me.

Not to mention I think it helped me make friends a little faster as showing up to open mat is viewed as being more dedicated. Several of the guys are even eager to teach me things and will come up to me and ask what I want to work on without me even asking.

Ill keep that in mind lonewolf. Im sure they have a open mat time. Il make sure to use it.

I would think it would be tough to have a set curriculum with new people starting on a regular basis and people who show up for a class or two and then never come back. Meanwhile you have blue belts and above who although always can benefit from a review of the basics, would probably get tired of that quickly.

Which brings us back full circle. How do I get anything out of a class when they are doing black belt level stuff? Im only newb, I got lost with the randomness the first time around. I want to avoid that this time.

There is a Gracie Academy new me. When I say a set curriculum I ment like how they do it. Whites only work on white to blue belt stuff. Each belt only works there level stuff. That way no one is short changed. I would go there except they are the costliest school in town.

I have a email into the other bjj school and ill see what they say regarding my problem of being lost and the randomness of training.

Do they have separate fundamental classes and advanced classes. Like, my academy has a fundamentals class 3 days a week and 2 advanced classes per week. In this case just attend the fundamentals class and maybe open mat.

What's a black belt technique?

I just that that was a white belt technique performed correctly...

Are you sure there's no structure? I was feeling a little bit the same until suddenly i realized i had been taught something for almost every situation.

I noticed this like a couple of months into training daily as opposed to few times a week, not sure how.long it would have taken under those circumstances.

Just show up and train bro. It will click after a while.

Are you sure there's no structure? I was feeling a little bit the same until suddenly i realized i had been taught something for almost every situation.

I noticed this like a couple of months into training daily as opposed to few times a week, not sure how.long it would have taken under those circumstances.

Seriously it was completely random. There as no order to the class's. Hence why I was lost.

Steelviper what I ment was things appropriate for low level people. IDK If I can articulate what I mean. The complicated things such as inverted rolling flying anything... Stuff like that.. Hell only thing im good at right now is mount control and failing at keylocks...

Steelviper what I ment was things appropriate for low level people. IDK If I can articulate what I mean. The complicated things such as inverted rolling flying anything... Stuff like that.. Hell only thing im good at right now is mount control and failing at keylocks...

Do you get reversed from mount when you apply the keylock?

So when i do start at this bjj place what tips do you guys have to keep me from getting lost again.. My goal is still one armature cage fight before im to old.

I appreciate the help.

First thing I wanna know is: what is an armature cage fight and how can I get in on one?

Ok. Some time ago i had to leave my mma gym for personal reasons. Now i only had months boxing and then 6months mma at the time i left. I remember one of the major isssues i had with the bjj class was i was nearly totally lost. Sure i picked up the and repped the basics of guard passing and mount control and switching postitions and what not but it seamed that learning new techniques was so haphazard so random..

For the last few months i have been in a local mma gym and he only had me working on basics. Sadly he decided that he was going to cancel the adult class and focus on the children's class. So i have found a good bjj school in my are and am going to attend.

My question is, with the semi random nature of sport BJJ training how the hell do i keep it straight? So damned random. I actually liked the GJJ curriculum of the Gracie academy that is near me, it has a progression from one to the next. Problem is they are massively more expensive then the local sporting bjj place.

I appreciate the help.

In my amateur opinion, The key is to understand where you are trying to get.
Positional hierarchy, and positional variations within a "position" e.g. the various "guards", which are really their own separate positions if you ask me.
The rest of it is a process of learning different ways there.

I am finding this metaphor useful in my own training.
Each small step in each technique is just a sign post.
Whenever you see that signpost, you can then start the rest of the journey to the goal from there.

As your experience increases, and as people point them out to you, you will notice more of those sign posts, and think "i know the way from here".

until then, it is all going to feel like more or less random pieces of information, but pay attention, it will make sense later.

For the time being, just learn as many sign posts as possible, and go for walks. Don't get to wrapped up in the detail. Just look at a map of part of the area, then go for a walk, and search for the sign posts. Learn the area. Once you know the area better, someone will be able to tell you "you go through the field, to the left along the path, up the hill to its right and then dig a hole in the vege patch in front of you and you will find gold", and it'll make sense. But you've got a lot of getting lost to do in rolling before you get there. You cant afford to get tooo carried away with the destination yet.

Sorry for the flowery analogy, but I hope it makes sense?

Going for walks is sparring, by the way.

Last edited:
Another analogy I used to guide me in my really early jiu jitsu training is "when all else fails, just search for wheels, and when you find them, roll them over".

By wheels I just mean situations where your bodies form a round shape together, and are easy to sweep or roll over. That ones got me out of shitty situations vs people quite a bit better than me. Takes some patience is all.

beyond that, think about these few principles

1) when you hyper extend someones arm while pointing their thumb in the opposite direction of their elbow, they will tap.

2) The principle of triangle works with any limb from any position. It is simply that some limbs and some positions provide superior leverage. Other than that, arm triangles and leg triangles are ALL the same.

3) Find or buy a proper gracie curiculum, and just familiarise yourself with what each of the core techniques are. If you practice a lot, you should be able to work most of them out for yourself.

4) defense and sweeps are easier self taught through sparring than attacks.

Ment amateur Justintime.

Man this grappling stuff is so complicate.. I appreciate the tips guys. Keep em coming.

Back